Reason 12 dropped support for SF2 files!!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2022

Hashmoder wrote:
10 Sep 2021
UPDATE:

After opening a ticket about this issue, I got response from RS.

This seems to be a regression bug that the developers now have confirmed. It's on the fixlist for the upcoming update. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

I am glad RS acknowledged that SF2 is a bug and DID NOT drop support of it.
Guess this wasn’t on the RoadMap. F*. Minus points again RS. Must try harder.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kitekrazy

24 Jan 2022

Image Line brought back their soundfont player because I guess they got tired of the complaints of some users. There must be some sample convertors available to convert soundfonts. I still keep VSampler on my system. There is also Extreme Sample Convertor. I've always saved them as an NNXT patch in previous versions.

Amazed that people still value this format and there are some gems out there.

crimsonwarlock

24 Jan 2022

There are also several free VST SF2 players. Sforzando is regarded as one of the best:

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Marc64

24 Jan 2022

SF2 loads and works fine :)

NotDonnieYen

03 Jan 2023

Is it broken again? I loaded my preset into an NNXT and it won't work D: the samples play fine but the overall SF2 wont.... :(

jlgrimes

03 Jan 2023

kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jan 2022
Image Line brought back their soundfont player because I guess they got tired of the complaints of some users. There must be some sample convertors available to convert soundfonts. I still keep VSampler on my system. There is also Extreme Sample Convertor. I've always saved them as an NNXT patch in previous versions.

Amazed that people still value this format and there are some gems out there.
Although it is an old format, it is a pretty popular format if you need General Midi style sounds (which was popular in the 90s). Also there are tons of free sounds on the web in this format and some are pretty good quality. My guess is that this format was highly popular in the 2000s among newer producers looking to cut costs and have high quality sounds as Soundfonts were either free or highly affordable.

I think nowadays though SFZ and Kontakt pretty much took over in popularity (and are more evolved formats) but I still don't think there are as many free libraries for those formats as there were for Soundfonts.

• Information