Do you opt to use a VST Channel strip over instead of Reason SSL?

Discuss VST stuff here!
WarStar

30 Dec 2022

Just wondering because I have a few Channel Strips but never really used them. So was just wondering if you do use them, why would you choose one over the native SSL..??

QVprod

31 Dec 2022

I don’t mix in Reason. I often use Sonimus Samson CS which is also am SSL though. Built in saturation is a plus there as well as no scrolling. Other strips offer different EQ curves different compressor types…etc.

visheshl

31 Dec 2022

Well one good reason is that you don't have a mixer in RRP, but if still want to use reason eqs compressor etc, then you have to use the rack devices.
Btw what are some nice all in one channel strip devices on reason shop ?
Could you please post a link

jam-s

31 Dec 2022

visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
Well one good reason is that you don't have a mixer in RRP, but if still want to use reason eqs compressor etc, then you have to use the rack devices.
As the idea of an all in one channel strip does not fit the modular approach of Reason there has been pretty much only one. The ridiculously over-priced blue one from Softube.

Yonatan

31 Dec 2022

I tend to reach for what is in Reason at stock as it is most handy to have it there.

crimsonwarlock

31 Dec 2022

When I moved from Reaper to Reason, I was really happy to ditch my SSL mixer plugins. Loading a whole lot of them in a 100+ tracks project and opening/closing all those floating VST-windows is seriously detached from any sane mix-down workflow.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jam-s

31 Dec 2022

jam-s wrote:
31 Dec 2022
visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
As the idea of an all in one channel strip does not fit the modular approach of Reason there has been pretty much only one: The ridiculously over-priced blue one from Softube.
EDIT: added link to archived version of the shop page.

selig
RE Developer

31 Dec 2022

I still use the Reason mixer when in Reason. Lately I’ve been using the API mixer in LUNA, which is also one of my favorites (Both in hardware and in software). It’s just so quick and easy to use the SSL in Reason compared to plugins because all channels are visible like a real console (similar setup in LUNA).
Selig Audio, LLC

WarStar

31 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
31 Dec 2022
I still use the Reason mixer when in Reason. Lately I’ve been using the API mixer in LUNA, which is also one of my favorites (Both in hardware and in software). It’s just so quick and easy to use the SSL in Reason compared to plugins because all channels are visible like a real console (similar setup in LUNA).
QVprod wrote:
31 Dec 2022
I don’t mix in Reason. I often use Sonimus Samson CS which is also am SSL though. Built in saturation is a plus there as well as no scrolling. Other strips offer different EQ curves different compressor types…etc.
I should have asked this is the original post, but is there any particular channel strip that you prefer for "sound" or "character"..? I've heard some folks will use a Channel strip just for the compressor or EQ , etc because of the way it "sounds"..

I just don't have enough knowledge in terms of VST emulations of analog channel strips so just curious if you had any that you reach for just for the compressor or EQ or filters, or their "sound", etc...??

selig
RE Developer

31 Dec 2022

I’m actually not that much of a purist when it comes to these things - almost every SSL I’ve worked on sounded a little different, starting on E series then moving to G and later to J and Duality - not to mention the many different modifications that were done on SSLs around Nashville over the years.
Reason allows me to use the same ‘tricks’ I’ve always used on the SSLs over the years, which is what matters most to me.
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

31 Dec 2022

For me it would be nice to have a single device with a gain, level meter, compressor, eq, limiter. With each of them being allowed to turn off or on.
Basically a single reason ssl mixer channel strip in Rack device form.
That would be nice.
I could then put this device on RRP and save as a vst patch.
Whenever i need an RRP instance with a channelstrip, i could just load this patch quickly. In fact i would load it most of the time.
But its not that big of a deal breaker.

joeyluck

31 Dec 2022

visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
For me it would be nice to have a single device with a gain, level meter, compressor, eq, limiter. With each of them being allowed to turn off or on.
That would be nice.
Whenever i need an RRP instance with a channelstrip, i could just load this patch quickly. In fact i would load it most of the time.
You could create a combi patch with the classic channel devices and load that up.

visheshl

31 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
31 Dec 2022
visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
That would be nice.
You could create a combi patch with the classic channel devices and load that up.
True true...

visheshl

31 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
31 Dec 2022
I’m actually not that much of a purist when it comes to these things - almost every SSL I’ve worked on sounded a little different, starting on E series then moving to G and later to J and Duality - not to mention the many different modifications that were done on SSLs around Nashville over the years.
Reason allows me to use the same ‘tricks’ I’ve always used on the SSLs over the years, which is what matters most to me.
Hey, would it be possible for you to make a nice channel strip RE with gain, level meter, eq, compressor, limiter and perhaps a lightweight reverb and delay already present as inserts ? (Perhaps have a little switch to see the level at input and at output of this channel strip.)
I mean that would be like really nice to have inside RRP man.
Of course there are alternative ways but like why not have it in the shop.
Lazy ppl like me would love to buy it.
Just drag drop this device in RRP and you're set.

QVprod

01 Jan 2023

WarStar wrote:
31 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
31 Dec 2022
QVprod wrote:
31 Dec 2022
I should have asked this is the original post, but is there any particular channel strip that you prefer for "sound" or "character"..? I've heard some folks will use a Channel strip just for the compressor or EQ , etc because of the way it "sounds"..

I just don't have enough knowledge in terms of VST emulations of analog channel strips so just curious if you had any that you reach for just for the compressor or EQ or filters, or their "sound", etc...??
Yes that’s a thing too. But not just for full on channel strips. I do use Neutron Elements because of how the EQ sounds. Just the EQ. Even with parametric EQs they don’t sound the same when boosting/cutting frequencies.

mimidancer

01 Jan 2023

I love the SSL mixer in reason. unlike channel strip plugins it can be played like an actual mixer. I also think the reason version of ssl mixbus compressor is underrated.

joeyluck

01 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
Hey, would it be possible for you to make a nice channel strip RE with gain, level meter, eq, compressor, limiter and perhaps a lightweight reverb and delay already present as inserts ? (Perhaps have a little switch to see the level at input and at output of this channel strip.)
I mean that would be like really nice to have inside RRP man.
Of course there are alternative ways but like why not have it in the shop.
Lazy ppl like me would love to buy it.
Just drag drop this device in RRP and you're set.
Additional devs who I think would also be good to send this request to are Kuassa and Red Rock Sound.

Aside from having a fixed channel strip, have you seen Red Rock's ModularRE?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... processor/

crimsonwarlock

01 Jan 2023

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2023

Maybe they might extend Combi 2 to the channel strips (but with a vertical panel) - after all, they do have Combi 1 baked into them.

crimsonwarlock

01 Jan 2023

avasopht wrote:
01 Jan 2023
after all, they do have Combi 1 baked into them.
Didn't they change that significantly, to make it possible to load combinators into channel inserts? We did lose the four knobs and buttons (from combi 1) that each channel had, so I think that the channel combi 1 (if that ever was a thing) is gone from the channels now.
-------

dvdrtldg

01 Jan 2023

I really like some of the Waves channel strips - TG12345, TG Mastering Channel, Scheps Omni Channel are all great. Lots of character and flexibility, with options for mid/side processing that the Reason mixer doesn't offer

Also a big fan of Acustica's Ceil Celestial plugins - absolutely magic, but CPU intensive and until Reason goes M1 native I can't really use them - under Rosetta they bring any session to its knees

visheshl

01 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Jan 2023
Wow! The vertical screen with the rack should ideally be a touch screen, so you could scroll up down, adjust any parameters just by touch.
What an amazing setup !!

visheshl

01 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Jan 2023
Looking at this, it seems to me that apart from the rack, RS should at least have an option to have a non skeuomorphism theme for the mixer and the sequencer. Flat colors and icons.

This is such a dream setup man !
This is exactly the dream studio i had wanted!

crimsonwarlock

02 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
01 Jan 2023
This is such a dream setup man !
This is exactly the dream studio i had wanted!
Thanks. There's a picture of the rest of the studio (before this screen setup) here: viewtopic.php?p=623272#p623272

Although it is really nice to have a dedicated screen for the rack, you can also have the rack window detached but on your main monitor (if it is big enough). In that case, the rack window will still sync with the SSL-mixer strip rack-buttons. The rack-window showing the exact rack for the mixer channel I'm working on, is a fundamental part of my mixer-centric workflow.

This is yet another thing no other DAW will give me :puf_bigsmile:
-------

moalla

02 Jan 2023

I also using the ssl mixer more and more, it‘s quiet good, but for especial track eq filtering i use brainworx bx_digital v3 and RedRocks C1L1 for buss compression in the sends. Now i got HoRnets HA2A for drumcompression instead of discharged Re2a comp.
At the master it‘s a big pleasure with Millenias NSEQ-2 before the ssl comp, also biqceil are quiet impressive ass it was freebee, but 3x too cpu heavy.

Now i‘m still searching for a multiband comp for the master, still saw the lindell 354e for sale, but a comp2 with yoko band splitter and mc dsp compressors or softubes fet would be a nice thing, maybee therefore a rms comp iss the better thing?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

• Information