[STOCK]A.sch3's Combinator Collection for Reason 12

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
A.sch3

13 Jun 2022

Hello !

Download through Google Drive v1.1.2
WORKS WITH STOCK RE, NO ADDITIONAL RE REQUIRED !
Same combi for Reason 10 here

TL;DR : i've made a few combinators for the things i use the most when mixing. It compete with paid VST IMO but you tell me.

• Story :

I'm a reason user since version 4.
Since many year i've acknowledged the power of the combinator. I have done many revisions of mainly 4 : For vocals, for instruments BUS, for polish or pre-mastering, for mastering.
I've been working on these 4 and much more with a nice layout and background with the intent of sharing them to the community.

Hopefully you'll like them as much as i do !

• Combinator List :

Fast Cleaning EQ

Changelog :
v1.1.1 = Initial release

No detail explanation as it speak for itself. Just turn the knobs and hear if you like it better or not.
It is possible to activate a Parallel mode as it will blend better with the original sound.

Mp3 Restorator
Youtube : (Unedited) [REASON 12] A.sch3's Mp3 Restorator v1.0.3 Demo
Changelog :
v1.0.4 = Help text Font changed for better readability
v1.0.3 = Initial release

Dont expect to recover the original track before sound degradation, but it can improve the sound better than an EQ

- Enable Restore Button : Activate the high band recovering tool n°1
- Highs Restore : Amount of added restored sound
- Auto Adjustment : Automatically duck and boost the added harmonics according to the information already present in the high band.
Meaning : This effect "fill" the high end frequencies with harmonics if they are lacking. This effect do not only add harmonics and call it a day, this is more subtle.
- Release : Increase the time before the automatic adjustment disappear when not needed
- Iss Reduction : Reduce the "Iss" that can be heard when working on very bad material

- Enable Noise Button : Activate the high band recovering tool n°2
- Noise Generator : Amount of added white noise sound
- Highpass : Highpass filter for the white noise
- Sensitivity : Automatically duck and boost the added noise sound according to the information already present in the high band.
Meaning : This effect "add" white noise only when needed to help recover a sense of "Air" in the sound
- Noise duration : Increase the time before the noise disappear when not needed
- Fast Attack : Help with very low dynamic range materials
- Stereorize noise : Make the white noise stereo instead of mono

- High/Mid Split : Crossover Frequency High/Mid

- Mid Band Enhance : Add harmonics to the mid band to bring life to the track
- Remove nastiness : Lower a frequency band that can causes problems with very bad material

- Mid/Low Split : Crossover Frequency Mid/Low

- Sub Cleaning : Lower "Boomyness" while increasing "Subyness" to reduce the mud and bring back the subs informations
- Add Dynamic : Add a compressed version of the low band to itself to help re-create the dynamic of the low end
- Low Band Enhance : Add harmonics to the low band to bring punch to the track

For each band, 3 functions :
- Listen "band" Fx : Listen to the added effect only
- "band" Fx Bypass : Bypass the band Fx
- "band" volume : Increase or lower the volume of the band

There is also a "High Iss Reduct." knob to tame the highs if it gets a bit out of control with the restoration process.

This tool can be a bit tricky to use, so my recommendation is to use each section one at the time, and really hear what is it adding.
Then, blend each effects to achieve a coherent result.

Binaural & 3D FX
Changelog :
v1.0.3 = Improving performance : Bypassing cpu-taxing effects when not used, Smaller backdrop file (more jpeg compression)
v1.0.2 = Initial release

Only works if there's sides information, doesn't do anything with mono tracks.

- Binaural FX Button : Creates a phases shift on the side channels to make hard panned signals left or right to sit better on the stereo field when using headphones
- Phase Frequency : Position of this phase shift. Lower values (up to 100Hz) is the most transparent, but the ideal is to target the lowest frequency heard on the side channels
- Precision : Widen or narrow the phase shift. Precise will be the most transparent, Broad will be quite audible

- 3D Field Button : Creates a delay between the side channels and the center channel to give the illusion of depth without coloring the tone of the track too much
- Field Adjust : Value of this delay, best result i got is with 4 ms, but don't be affraid to try other values. the 4 ms mark is visible on the scale so you easily can find it.
- Inverse Field : Will delay the center channel from the side channel. Try it to hear if this improve the effect
- Parallel Mode : Run this effect in parallel of the original signal, so the effect is way more subtle

- Listen FX Only : Allow to hear only what's added (makes a Null DRY vs WET)
- Bypass : Bypass all effects

Stereorizer

Changelog :
v1.1.1 = Help text Font changed for better readability
v1.1.0 = Improving the Haas function, it is now more musical and more transparent
v1.0.4 = Hotfix : Sound was muted if knob "Extra width" was set to 0.
v1.0.3 = Improving performance : Bypassing cpu-taxing effects when not used, Smaller backdrop file (more jpeg compression)
v1.0.1 = Initial release

This is a tool to add to a mono source that you wish to make stereo, or at least add some depth and width.

- Width 1 : Create stereo image from 3 types of reverb.
- Width 2 : Create stereo image from spreading frequency bands to the left or right ear, apply small amount of short reverb (room knob) to smooth-out the odd effect it can create
- Width 3 : Create stereo image with Haas effect technique (delay one left or right channel from the other one), use the "recenter & blend" knob to correct flaws of this effect

Resonance Taming
Changelog :
v1.0.5 = Hotfixing an issue : After insertion of the combinator, the sound was affected by a bad state of the internal EQ that was causing a resonance to be heard for no reason. Moving the "Taming" knob was making this go away, but better to have a properly working Combi from the start.
v1.0.4 = Use of a ligher jpg image, changing font for better help text readability
v1.0.1 = Initial release

This is a tool to correct a resonance defect of a source. It is dynamic, so even if the taming is engaged, it is correcting only when the resonance you targeted is present.

- Listen : Listen the what you are doing
- Frequency Target : Sweep to find a problematic resonance after pressing the "Listen" button

- Dynamic Taming : Amount of taming of the frequency
- Broad/Precise : Narrow or enlarge the band to tame

NEW!
Vocal Singer ToolBox

Changelog :
v1.1.2 = Expanding the De-esser function. New knob for controlling threshold and a new button that mute the "Ss" when detected for a better understanding of what the de-esser will reduce in volume
v1.1.0 = Read below:
- Big changes to the Auto-Leveling stage, it now provide a more "uniform" response, sounding more professionnal out-of-the-box.
- Addind a knob to lessen the compression effect but i recommend to keep it at 10:1.
- Out Gain from +14db to +12db
- Adding a "Forward !" knob to bring the vocal even forward in the mix to help put the vocal upfront using a light saturation
- Adding a new type of reverb (Type 2)
- Adding a button to switch between the old and new reverb type : "Type 1/2"
v1.0.1 = Adding Full Bypass button
v1.0 = Initial release

- Auto-Leveling : Level up the singing volume to 0db, a bit like what the Selig Leveler is doing but not exactly the same.
- Gain : Moar volume
- Less Comp. : Reduce the amount of leveling compression to recover the natural dynamic without loosing too much of the auto-gain adjustement.

- De-esser : Y'all know
- Clarity : x to 20kHz will be affected by the de-essing
- Target Frequency : Clic "Listen" then sweep the frequency range to find the "Ess" to remove, un-check Listen after that.

- Backing Vocal : Enable a Hass Effect of the vocal
- Width : "Size" of the effect
- Smooth Backing : Tame the high frequency of the Haas effect, and "recenter" the stereo image i bit

- Reverb : DRY/WET knob
- Ducking : Tame the reverb when vocal is being heard
- Length : Duration of the reverb
- Verb on : Enable reverb
- Type 1/2 : Switch between the original reverb type 1 and the new type of reverb (more airy) type 2

- Room : Enable a separate room reverb
- Volume : Volume of the room reverb

- Forward !: Bring the vocal upfront with a light saturation
- Limiter : Limiter to avoid clipping, but lowering the fader will also work

Bus Mixing and Improving

Changelog :
v1.1.0 = Improve the "Para Comp" : this function is now more musical
v1.0.1 = Adding Full Bypass button and 1:1 Gain Match for parallel compression
v1.0 = Initial release

- Dry Volume : Dry signal volume, can affect the balance between effects

- Harmonics : Amount of added harmonics
- Frequency : Frequency target to add harmonics
- Variation : Modify the timber of the harmonics
- Alternate : Switch between 2 harmonics algorithms

- Mud : Less, or MOAR MUD ! (200Hz/700Hz)

- Fat : Amount of added fat to the sound
- Fat Freq : Frequency to faten-up
- Fat with EQ : Generate fat with an EQ (not very subtle)
- Fat with Disto : Generate fat with a distortion effect (more clean)

- Widening : Widen the stereo field
- X-over-freq : Frequency split between unaffected stereo field and affected stereo field

- Para Comp : Parallel compression amount
- Only Comp : Click this button to only hear what's added

- Focus : Amount of focus (EQ)
- 1 - 4 kHz : Frequency target to amplify

- Smooth : Remove harshness
- 4 - 15 kHz : Frequency target to tame

Pre-Mastering Multi-Tool

Changelog :
v1.0.1 = Better gain matching during the 0-100% of effects knobs
v1.0 = Initial release

- Width Boost : Boost the volume of the side image (different from the Mclass stereo imager way of doing things !)
- More Width ! : Enable a stereo imager on top of it
- Center : Enable the center image
- Side : Enable the side image
- Restore Dynamics : If dynamics is lost by boosting the side image, enable this button to bring back the dynamics of the center image without loosing the benefits of the boosted side
- Volume : Volume of the restoration process (default value works well)

- Make it nice : Amount of "make it nice" effect
- EQ : Modify the sound by the mean of and EQ
- Harmonics : Modify the sound by the mean of an harmonics generator
- HighPass : Affect where the harmonics are generated in the spectrum

- Cut Peaks : Clipper amount
- Compressor : Compress before clipping (can reduce the amount of distortion
- Clipper : Enable the clipping to happen

Mastering

Changelog :
v1.0.2 = Correcting Output Volume malfunction
v1.0.1 = Cosmetics changes, typo corrections
v1.0 = Initial release

- Input Volume : Self explanatory
- Sub Dynamics : Mimic what the Izotope plugin "Low end Focus" does : Increase or decrease contrast between kick and bass in the low sub band
- Dirt : Add some harmonics to the low end band in order to beef-up the low frequency. Add the benefit to make the lows frenquency to be somewhat perceive by "bad" playing device like smartphone and such.
- Saturation : Add harmonics through a saturation process to the mid band, can be usefull
- Sparkles : Cheesy name for sure, does the same as the previous one but in the high band
Just below each knobs, you'll find an adjustment pot to change the volume on each band. the button next to it is a "solo" function.

- High NY-Comp : Add parallel compression the high frequency band
- Mid NY-Comp : Add parallel compression the mid frequency band
- Low NY-Comp : Add parallel compression the low frequency band
- Sub NY-Comp : Add parallel compression the sub frequency band
Usually you don't need it, but if your track lacks punch, it can be a nice addition.

The limiting part is made of 4 MClass maximizer. The compressor part is made of 3 SSL compressor. Each with a different purpose relative to each other.
My advice is to use it as follow :
* Step 1) Enable 1:1 Listen
* Step 2) Keep lookahead and clipping enable, Master Compress at 0%, output Volume at 0db, Extra boost and MultiStage Limit disabled
* Step 3) Turn up the Limiter Volume Knob
* Step 4) When you hear distortion, or if the volume you hear goes down, it mean that you went too far and the song exceed the capabilities of the limiting stage, dial-it back a few notch.
* Step 5) Disable 1:1 Listen. If you are happy with the volume, end-it there, if not, continue :
-> Re-enable 1:1 Listen
* Step 6) Push-up a bit the master compressor until the distortion disappears, or apparent volume goes down
* Step 7) Repeat from Step 3

As an option, you can try with enabling the button named "MultiStage Limit". This will drive each MClass Maximizer one at the time instead of everyone simultaneously.
Remember that achieving the maximum volume you can isn't necessary helping your song, it will greatly reduce the dynamics of your music.

- 1:1 Listen : Decrease the output volume by the same amount that the limiter is being driven up (works surprisingly well)
- Lookahead : Enable lookahead to the limiting process for quicker reaction, adds latency
- Clipping : Enable clipping at the output of the limiter, to prevent peaks going above 0db
- Master Compress : Amount of "glue" compression, can help achieve more loudness
- Attack : Modify the attack time of the master compressor (quicker attack translate to less impact but greater loudness, slower attack does the opposite)
- Limiter Volume : Limiter input volume master knob
- Output Volume : Reduce the final output by 1db at the most to avoid distortion due to the "true peaks" phenomena
- Extra Boost : Add about 7db of volume before the input of the first limiter
- Multistage Limit : Drive each MClass Maximizer one at the time instead of everyone simultaneously

I busted my ass over this one. It can go up to -9db LUFS without much degradation. It compare to Fabfilter Pro L2 in "Modern" mode (to a point, sure, hard to compete with FF with stock plugins !)

Cheers !

Versioning system :
vX.Y.Z | X=Current generation | Y=Major revision, potentially different sound output comparing to the previous revision | Z=Minor correction, can replace the previous version without noticeable sound difference
Last edited by A.sch3 on 13 Sep 2022, edited 25 times in total.

challism

13 Jun 2022

Those look cool. Thanks for sharing with us.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ottostrom

14 Jun 2022

Not the biggest fan of the GUI but I suppose having some instructions printed on the device itself could be useful when you don't use it all the time. I am however very much a fan of the technical description and how much thought you've put into these :) Gonna download when I get home and play around with them :thumbs_up:

A.sch3

14 Jun 2022

You're welcome !

I've updated the post with details for the Mastering Combi.

Ottostrom

15 Jun 2022

Didn't have much time yesterday but I threw the Pre-Mastering combi on a mix that I'm currently working on.
I really appreciate how subtly the dials change the sound! Made it very easy to find a good balance. The improvements I got were excellent and the mix sounded dull when I removed the combi, so I think I will be using this before sending it to be mastered :)

Reminds me a bit of the FL Soundgoodizer. The only thing I might change is to replace the current clipper with the Forgotten Clank one.
Excited to try out the others :thumbs_up:

A.sch3

25 Jun 2022

Update ! I've added 2 more "tool" combinator, and update very lightly the 4 previous one.
Changelog to be read on each Combi description in the first post.

NMHindman

26 Jun 2022

Masterful. And generous of you to share, including all of the details in your posts. Thanks!

zumBeispiel

26 Jun 2022

Many thanks, A.sch3! :thumbup: :thumbs_up:
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 27 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

A.sch3

26 Jun 2022

Oops ! This is now corrected, the Resonance Taming one is added to the archive.

Expect at least 2 more Combi to be coming in the next few weeks :
- A 3D-ish effect to create a cool stereo field that almost seems 3 dimensional in nature, and can help fixing the loss of instruments that are panned hard left or right for improved mono compatibility, without (hopefully !) altering the general tone of the track.
- A tool to help with colliding frequency from 2 sources by using comb filter trickery, very cool stuff rarely use, but that can solve problems.

Always using stock plugins.

Ottostrom

01 Jul 2022

The Stereorizer is very useful with multiple options you can blend together :)
Used it on HH loop that was a bit too centered in the mix with good results.
A bit CPU heavy since it includes so many devices but still only around 5% on my computer which is alright

A.sch3

01 Jul 2022

Thanks for the feedback !
Now that i think about it, i probably could automate the bypass of even off state (is there a CPU usage difference between Bypass or Off on Reason module ? I will have to test that) when the effects knob are turn all the way down to zero, to lighten the load.

I just release a new combi ! Check out the first post

Ottostrom

08 Jul 2022

A.sch3 wrote:
01 Jul 2022
Thanks for the feedback !
Now that i think about it, i probably could automate the bypass of even off state (is there a CPU usage difference between Bypass or Off on Reason module ? I will have to test that) when the effects knob are turn all the way down to zero, to lighten the load.

I just release a new combi ! Check out the first post
Yeah that would probably be a good idea!
Putting a device in bypass will remove the CPU load.

A.sch3

24 Jul 2022

Hello !

+1 Combi !
This one is targeted toward mp3 restoration.

@Ottostrom : i've updated all combis to version 1.0.3 with the trick of bypassing taxing effect if not used. Not all of the unused effects could be bypassed unfortunately.
Edit : Youtube : (Unedited) [REASON 12] A.sch3's Mp3 Restorator v1.0.3 Demo

Ottostrom

26 Jul 2022

A.sch3 wrote:
24 Jul 2022
Hello !

+1 Combi !
This one is targeted toward mp3 restoration.

@Ottostrom : i've updated all combis to version 1.0.3 with the trick of bypassing taxing effect if not used. Not all of the unused effects could be bypassed unfortunately.
Edit : Youtube : (Unedited) [REASON 12] A.sch3's Mp3 Restorator v1.0.3 Demo
Nice! Thank your for taking the time of updating the old ones too :thumbs_up:
It's very impressive what you're able to do with the combi 2 and stock effects. Also appreciate that you included a video demo with the new one :)

A.sch3

27 Jul 2022

To me, Combi 2 (and 1 to some degree) is almost a "no-code" plugin editor.
I think with the large amount of RE at our disposal, we tend to forget about the cpu-efficient stock plugin. Largely inspired by Dan Worrall ("What's wrong with stock plugin ?" series), it is with great pleasure that i re-discovered the vast capabilities we always had at our disposal creating this combinator collection.

I really hope this will give you guys inspiration.

A.sch3

31 Jul 2022

Update v1.1.0 !
Versioning system :
vX.Y.Z | X=Current generation | Y=Major revision, potentially different sound output comparing to the previous revision | Z=Minor correction, can replace the previous version without noticeable sound difference

### A.sch3's BUS Mixing and Improving ###
*** v1.1.0 ***
- Improved the "Para Comp" (Parallel compression adding) and 1:1 Gain match effectiveness. This function is now more musical

### A.sch3's Vocal Singer Toolbox ###
*** v1.1.0***
- Big changes to the Auto-Leveling stage, it now provide a more "uniform" response, sounding more professionnal out-of-the-box.
- Addind a knob to lessen the compression effect but i recommend to keep it at 10:1.
- Out Gain from +14db to +12db
- Adding a "Forward !" knob to bring the vocal even forward in the mix to help put the vocal upfront using a light saturation
- Adding a new type of reverb (Type 2)
- Adding a button to switch between the old and new reverb type : "Type 1/2"

### A.sch3's Stereorizer ###
*** v1.1.0***
- Improving the Haas function, it is now more musical and more transparent

A.sch3

11 Aug 2022

Quick unedited video featuring some of the combinator. I'm working on a larger and more professionnal looking video with proper editing to showcase the use of each combi.

This one is just here to show how quickly it get the job done.

One combinator is featured in this video that i'm working on it but isn't ready for release yet.

WOO

11 Aug 2022

Thanks Btw I checked out some of your music and its really good. I particularly enjoyed the Lyris Project. I'm including a link for those interested https://lyrisproject.fr/

A.sch3

13 Aug 2022

Thanks you for the appreciation ! :wave:

A.sch3

14 Aug 2022

Update !

NEW !
-------------------------------------------------------------
### A.sch3's Fast Cleaning EQ###
*** v1.1.1 ***
- Initial release

Every other combi updated with different font for the help text

moneykube

22 Aug 2022

almost missed this update... than you very much for sharing your work. :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

A.sch3

23 Aug 2022

You're welcome !

Little update of the week :

### A.sch3's Resonance Taming ###
*** v1.0.5 ***
- Hotfixing an issue : After insertion of the combinator, the sound was affected by a bad state of the internal EQ that was causing a resonance to be heard for no reason. Moving the "Taming" knob was making this go away, but better to have a properly working Combi from the start.

### A.sch3's Vocal Singer Toolbox ###
*** v1.1.2 ***
- Expanding the De-esser function. New knob for controlling threshold and a new button that mute the "Ss" when detected for a better understanding of what the de-esser will reduce in volume

Note : Combi for Reason 10 are not affected.

A.sch3

13 Sep 2022

Showcase videos for all combinators are coming 🤗

A.sch3

30 Dec 2022

I have an update for the main post but i can't seem to find the "edit" button for the topic ? is it remove after some time ?

Anyway, Download v1.1.4 here

New FX :
- A.sch3's Leadifier FX v1.1.3
- A.sch3's NastyBasser FX v1.1.4
- A.sch3's De-Breather FX v1.1.4

A.sch3's Leadifier FX v1.1.3

Makes leads sounds more "lead-y"

The "FX Volume" is a knob that will blend the processed signal with the original.

Compressor/Limiter/Reverb are effects that come after the processed signal.

A.sch3's NastyBasser FX v1.1.4

Makes any sounds more "Nasty" and Bassy, works shockingly well on "pluck" sound
My recent track "Enter The Room" was made with this combi FX ! Check it out :

The "FX Volume" is a knob that will blend the processed signal with the original.

Compressor/Limiter/Reverb are effects that come after the processed signal.

A.sch3's De-Breather FX v1.1.4

This FX will try to reduce the volume of any sound outside of what the detectors are hearing.
You mainly can remove "breath" sounds, but as you are in control of what the detector are triggered by, you also try to remove other content you don't move, like recording noise in-between the notes or vocals.

I currently am making videos for thoses last 3 combi.

Loque

30 Dec 2022

A.sch3 wrote:
30 Dec 2022
... is it remove after some time ?
yes.
Reason12, Win10

• Information