Preset system for RRP (as request)

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
ab459

29 Dec 2022

Hi, it's just for me or RRP really need some internal convenient way for storing done chains.
Yes i understand that there is browsing for combinators, but it's not exactly the same (in terms of convenience). + chain often does not require the presence of a combinator. (And many RE's not contains built-in preset management).
Also, of course there is a way to save preset as RRP internally in DAW, but this is also not solution (because not transferable between DAW's).

visheshl

29 Dec 2022

Hmm, i used to think that the .vstpreset format is transferable between daws. Good to know it isnt...if thats the case i agree with you, RRP needs a preset save and load system.

Is there not a common vst preset format to save load patches ? This is wierd...

huggermugger

29 Dec 2022

I can do it in Logic. I set up a chain of devices, go to the patch management menu in the upper LH corner of the Logic RRP window, and save the patch there. The RRP already has a folder for effects patches (and a folder for instrument patches), and Logic knows to put them there. Gradually I build a list of patches, ready to be used later.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.59.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.59.07 PM.png (504.29 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.52.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 9.52.14 PM.png (617.83 KiB) Viewed 2227 times

visheshl

30 Dec 2022

I think you misunderstood, the point is that even though we can save presets in the DAW but the daw saves the presets in its own format, and hence that preset is not compatible across DAWs.
I can save the preset in Ableton, you can save it in logic, but we cannot load each others presets.
Hence if RRP could save the rack as a preset in its own format those presets would be compatible across DAWs.

crimsonwarlock

30 Dec 2022

visheshl wrote:
29 Dec 2022
FXP (single patch) and FXB (banks) formats are compatible across DAWs that support those standard formats. This is at least true for VST2 plugins, but I do seem to remember there are issues with VST3 patch formats in some DAWs.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

30 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Dec 2022
visheshl wrote:
29 Dec 2022
FXP (single patch) and FXB (banks) formats are compatible across DAWs that support those standard formats. This is at least true for VST2 plugins, but I do seem to remember there are issues with VST3 patch formats in some DAWs.
Yes thats true, but, afaik, Ableton doesn't allow saving an fxp patch...it allows saving a patch as .vstpreset format. Which im not sure is compatible across DAWs. I could be wrong but maybe .vstpreset is the standard format of saving Vst3 patches, considering RRP is a VST3 plugin.
Maybe others could confirm if they use RRP in different DAWs.
Kindly share if you can save&load RRP presets in .vstpreset file format.

crimsonwarlock

30 Dec 2022

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ab459

30 Dec 2022

Hmm. Ok thank you guys for investigation. Wiil check about transferability of saved preset. (In my case this is Studio One and Ableton. Win10 here)
Anyway, i think you could agree that storing presets nativly inside RRP this is would be a bit more convenient thing (in terms of usability \ speed of application).

selig
RE Developer

31 Dec 2022

I use Combinators where possible because there’s one more DAW you may want to load it into: Reason. And Reason can’t load RRP so you can’t load saved VST3 presets of RRP in Reason…which is important to me because I’m mostly moving back and forth between Reason and LUNA. Obviously this doesn’t work well if your already using Combinators for instruments/FX, since we can’t combine Combinators.
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

31 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
31 Dec 2022
I use Combinators where possible because there’s one more DAW you may want to load it into: Reason. And Reason can’t load RRP so you can’t load saved VST3 presets of RRP in Reason…which is important to me because I’m mostly moving back and forth between Reason and LUNA. Obviously this doesn’t work well if your already using Combinators for instruments/FX, since we can’t combine Combinators.
Fair point, thats why it would be preferable if RRP could save in its own format in addition to vstpreset format.
That way you could load up an RRP rack within Reason standalone too.

jam-s

01 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
31 Dec 2022
Fair point, thats why it would be preferable if RRP could save in its own format in addition to vstpreset format.
That format is called Combinator patch. And as you cannot load the RRP inside of Reason it would not help to have an additional RRP exclusive patch format in addition to vst3preset.

selig
RE Developer

02 Jan 2023

jam-s wrote:
01 Jan 2023
visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022

That format is called Combinator patch. And as you cannot load the RRP inside of Reason it would not help to have an additional RRP exclusive patch format in addition to vst3preset.
The only current limitation to using Combinators for exchanged between Reason and RRP is inability to include existing Combinators inside Combinators in this format.

Which leads to the old question “why can’t we put a Combinator in another Combinator?”. It only needs to be one level deep, and this request has gained new relevance IMO with RRP.

This also came up in my thread asking about workflow between Reason and RRP - I was hoping RS had enough foresight to consider this to be a fairly regular occurrence, especially with the demise of ReWire. Another case of “don’t hold your breath”?
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

02 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
02 Jan 2023
The only current limitation to using Combinators for exchanged between Reason and RRP is inability to include existing Combinators inside Combinators in this format.
This and the fact that the RRP cannot load combinators which include VSTs. So that's another thing they'd have to fix for the RRP.

• Information