Free Simmons SDX refill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
bpmorton

14 Nov 2015

I recently got an audio CD with a bunch of samples from the legendary Simmons SDX. This was their sampling unit that they made around 1987. Many of the samples had DC offset problems and some had suffered from bad MIDI transfers to Sound Designer. I cleaned up what I could and packed them up here for your use. There are several hundred samples here of Kick drums, snares, toms and more exotic sounds including samples taken from their SDS5 kit. Included are sounds used by drummer Bill Bruford and others.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t34bq7039hsh ... X.rfl?dl=0

this link has WAV files instead of Resaon refill
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tivlyuxbc1yem ... V.zip?dl=0

don't know if this will work. let me know if it's ok.
Last edited by bpmorton on 16 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

14 Nov 2015

billy... my fav thqnx :idea: :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

bpmorton

14 Nov 2015

moneykube wrote:billy... my fav thqnx :idea: :puf_smile:
Welcome! check out Park snr in the snares folder. I think this was his rim sound back in the ABWH days.

eusti

15 Nov 2015

Cool! Thx! :D

D.

Scoobyman II

16 Nov 2015

Thanks. Checking it out. I saw King Crimson back in 1982. I don't think Bruford used any cymbals in that show, just the Simmons. I also saw "Talk Talk" back in 83 or 84. They made great use of the Simmons drums.

bpmorton

16 Nov 2015

Scoobyman II wrote:Thanks. Checking it out. I saw King Crimson back in 1982. I don't think Bruford used any cymbals in that show, just the Simmons. I also saw "Talk Talk" back in 83 or 84. They made great use of the Simmons drums.
Yeah, he never used the pads for cymbal sounds. Back in 82 he had an SDS5. From his web page:http://www.billbruford.com/drums.php

Ostermilk

16 Nov 2015

I used to use one back in the day (SDS V). I hated it...lol. That was more to do with what it felt like to play and needing a backline amp to monitor it with rather than for what it did though.

Some good nostalgic sounds among this lot, thanks for taking the trouble to put this together.

Lizard

16 Nov 2015

Many thanks! Would you be willing to make these available in non-refill format?

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2015

Thanks

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

bpmorton

16 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote:Many thanks! Would you be willing to make these available in non-refill format?
I could do that I guess. The file would be 35mb as apposed to 19mb for the refill.

Lizard

16 Nov 2015

I would like if possible. I wouldn't mind playing with them and attempt an IDT based device with them. I may even be able to release (freely) if you'd allow. No promises. :D

bpmorton

16 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote:I would like if possible. I wouldn't mind playing with them and attempt an IDT based device with them. I may even be able to release (freely) if you'd allow. No promises. :D
OK, I uploaded the WAV files in a zip. link is in the OP.

pedrocaetanos

16 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote:I would like if possible. I wouldn't mind playing with them and attempt an IDT based device with them. I may even be able to release (freely) if you'd allow. No promises. :D
So, that's the 7th Project, to delay even more the JX-3P RE !! ;)

Well, I empathize with you, and that's a nice new Project - onem ore thing to wait for (yeah, I know, no promises... : )
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Lizard

16 Nov 2015

pedrocaetanos wrote:
So, that's the 7th Project, to delay even more the JX-3P RE !! ;)

Well, I empathize with you, and that's a nice new Project - onem ore thing to wait for (yeah, I know, no promises... : )
LOL. :lol: Well Pedro.... The good thing about not having a huge fan base is that there are less people to disappoint when you don't come through foe them. ;)

pedrocaetanos

17 Nov 2015

And now it's downloaded. Thanks a lot BP! Simmons SDX is a fascinating device.
Jarre used it too, on the Revolutions album (Joe Hammer played it).
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Scoobyman II

17 Nov 2015

bpmorton wrote:
Scoobyman II wrote:Thanks. Checking it out. I saw King Crimson back in 1982. I don't think Bruford used any cymbals in that show, just the Simmons. I also saw "Talk Talk" back in 83 or 84. They made great use of the Simmons drums.
Yeah, he never used the pads for cymbal sounds. Back in 82 he had an SDS5. From his web page:http://www.billbruford.com/drums.php
Great page. Thanks.

Rothgarr

10 Apr 2020

Thanks to the OP for posting those links!

Trefor

11 Apr 2020

Thank you.

crimsonwarlock

29 Dec 2022

Just found this topic while searching for SDS-V stuff. Since the dropbox links don't work anymore, does anyone have this free refill and be willing to share it?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

29 Dec 2022

OK, already sorted. Thanks to who send it to me, I couldn't send a PM back as you have PM disabled.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

freshkidblaze

19 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Dec 2022
OK, already sorted. Thanks to who send it to me, I couldn't send a PM back as you have PM disabled.
Can you pm it to me if you still have the link?

wildstyle

26 Apr 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Dec 2022

Hi, could you PM me with a link for the WAVs or refill? Dropbox links are still dead and it would be great to have these. Thanks :puf_smile:

choomanching

30 Jul 2023

can i have a copy please

arnigretar

31 Jul 2023

I have missed this free refill at the time myself! Would love a copy of it if someone can share it again :) thanks!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information