Arturia Audiofuse Interface

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Yorick

22 Jan 2015

So this is what the hype was about: http://arturia.com/audiofuse/overview

What do you think?

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

Wow... I really like it. TALKBACK!!!! HELLO!
So simple, yet so important. Wow.

Theo.M

22 Jan 2015

Looks brilliant and covers everything. Something like this will only be as good as it's drivers at the end of the day. if Arturia update it like they do their synths, then there could be problems. If they are serious and have a dedicated driver team and test it for low latency on a variety of machines, etc, it could be great.

$599 retail is very good and absolutely smashes babyface for features vs price.

Twin headphone outs (yippee), direct inserts (awesome), usb hub (ditto, smart idea!), RIAA preamps! Yipee, i will be getting this at some stage i the driver reports are good, lucky i held off on the balance, and will be doing a shitload of Vinyl conversion.. Soft clipping (good to have) and other stuff.. looks very full featured.

They went this far though, so why not provide a send/return so one could *monitor* with hardware, say a multi fx box for a vocalist, without *printing* the effect? i find that especially disappointing considering there is no dsp and no ULL monitoring FX in built. even a cheap Mbox 3 has a monitoring reverb and dsp (and good low latency drivers for native daw monitoring ).

So even with all those features, it could fall flat on it's face if people can't reliably monitor through FX at low latency (guitar amps, vocal verbs, etc) - therefore this thing will be totally determined by the quality of it's low latency driver IMO. I for one, can't wait to see if they deliver!

tumar

22 Jan 2015

I like design with cover. It reminds me old audio stuff, like this:

QVprod

22 Jan 2015

Gotta say I'm quite underwhelmed. Not really sure what's really "next gen" about this box. 

The 3ms latency sounds nice but without DSP? It seems they want you to do Direct monitoring and blend to taste with the computer feed (very old idea). So much for tracking with fx monitoring. I'd also have to see it to believe that monitoring through a daw with fx without DSP would maintain low enough latency for recording. 

As far as performance (for keyboard at least), not enough built in outputs. At least 4 (2 stereo) would be ideal for playing backing/click tracks with the selected sound to be played. All outputs aside from the main and headphones are reserved for adat and s/pdif

Having all those connections is nice though, as well as the USB hub and I won't doubt the pre amps and D/A conversion is good. The talkback is a nice option, but I've rarely needed it in home studio/mobile recording situations.

Who knows, maybe I'd be a bit more impressed if they didn't create a big suspense hype about it for two months, but this really wasn't worth the wait imho. For the money I'd still consider the Focusrite options for half the price if not going the UA Apollo Twin Solo route.

tibah

22 Jan 2015

Looks nice, great features, form factor. Gives a little "crammed" feeling after watching the video though. Not sure about the price either.

NoisyBackpack

22 Jan 2015

Looks a bit cluttered, lots of great features. I will be looking at upgrading my audio interface in the next 6 months and i am very interested in hearing this 1.
I wonder how the preamps sound and how clean the converters are?
Other devices i am looking at are Audient id22 and UA Apollo Twin.

Carnstein

22 Jan 2015

Lots of good features for sure (I always wondered why it seems two-channel interfaces have direct-monitoring when many multichannel interfaces do not). Price seems a little steep though. Time will tell I suppose.
Hello!

NoisyBackpack

22 Jan 2015

Just received an email about another new interface by Focusrite, "Clarett Range". Look interesting......
http://global.focusrite.com/clarett-ran ... m_content=#

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

Well when my Balance and Duet fail, I may very well pick up one of these. I think it's awesome. Talkback and two headphone outs cut out the need for an extra mic and red cue box and two mic cables. That's a lighter suitcase right there. Love the lid on it too. And the three USB outs for iLok, ignition key and eLicenser. Little things like that that make a difference for me. Functionality matters.

Aquila

23 Jan 2015

NoisyBackpack wrote:Just received an email about another new interface by Focusrite, "Clarett Range". Look interesting......
http://global.focusrite.com/clarett-ran ... m_content=#
Interesting, sure. But they seem to be almost identical to their existing Scarlett and Saffire series, but with Thunderbolt interface.

Great news for Mac users, I guess. But Windows users are still waiting for Microsoft and manufacturers like Intel to get off their asses and start implementing Thunderbolt as a proper standard. Focusrite would've done better if they made it a hybrid Thunderbolt/USB3 series IMHO.

Nymphomation

28 Jan 2015

I'm in the market for a new audio interface and did quite look the look of this. The more interviews I read with producers and engineers, the more it comes across that the most important thing is the A/D converters. No point in having an awesome Mic and expensive guitar if your audio interface is balls. Mine (Tascam 1641) is fairly budget at around £300

Can anyone with an RME babyface explain the 10 inputs to me - I get that manufacturers count ADAT connection as 8, but then it seems there is one instrument jack in on the side, and two XLR ins on the breakout cable, which makes 11?

Sorry to derail.. just trying to get my head around these apparent massive input selection, when only a few is visible - same with the AudioFuse

joeyluck

28 Jan 2015

tumar wrote:I like design with cover. It reminds me old audio stuff, like this:
I was curious about the cover myself.  How does it stay on when you throw it in a backpack? Looks like there is nothing that attaches it (no magnet, or weak magnet) and comes off very easily...

unclenofun

27 Nov 2018

feel like I'm ressurecting an extremely old thread but I just stumbled across the Audiofuse and (at the right price) I'm quite interested. My interface (UX2) is on it's way out and although it's done me just fine over the years, I'm about to add some instruments to my collection and it's not QUITE big enough for me. I'm going to need MIDI for a start. For a little while I'm going to need 4 inputs (2 stereo from 2 synths) but I want to get something fairly small but with the possibility of expanding at some later point. thats why I liked the look of the audiofuse. so many connections and ADAT (presumably I can add extra inputs at a later date) what I need to know tho is, can the audiofuse handle 4 inputs at the same time? 2 synths with stereo out. 2 inputs at the front and 2 line in on the back? would that work or am i missing something?

QVprod

27 Nov 2018

unclenofun wrote:
27 Nov 2018
feel like I'm ressurecting an extremely old thread but I just stumbled across the Audiofuse and (at the right price) I'm quite interested. My interface (UX2) is on it's way out and although it's done me just fine over the years, I'm about to add some instruments to my collection and it's not QUITE big enough for me. I'm going to need MIDI for a start. For a little while I'm going to need 4 inputs (2 stereo from 2 synths) but I want to get something fairly small but with the possibility of expanding at some later point. thats why I liked the look of the audiofuse. so many connections and ADAT (presumably I can add extra inputs at a later date) what I need to know tho is, can the audiofuse handle 4 inputs at the same time? 2 synths with stereo out. 2 inputs at the front and 2 line in on the back? would that work or am i missing something?
Was looking at it again the other day and it seems that it should. Only thing is that lines 3 and 4 were intended for DJs so they're phono (rca) jacks instead of 1/4" Inputs. there won't be any preamp gain like you have on the front 2 inputs so if your synth can put out enough signal without being too noisy then 1/4" to rca cables should do the trick.

For slightly cheaper though you could get a MOTU UltraLite-mk4 that has 6 stereo inputs as well as Adat and also works as a standalone mixer should you ever want to jam without your computer. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ralite-mk4

unclenofun

27 Nov 2018

unclenofun wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Was looking at it again the other day and it seems that it should. Only thing is that lines 3 and 4 were intended for DJs so they're phono (rca) jacks instead of 1/4" Inputs. there won't be any preamp gain like you have on the front 2 inputs so if your synth can put out enough signal without being too noisy then 1/4" to rca cables should do the trick.

For slightly cheaper though you could get a MOTU UltraLite-mk4 that has 6 stereo inputs as well as Adat and also works as a standalone mixer should you ever want to jam without your computer. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ralite-mk4
[/quote]

I thought the back of it had 1/4" jack inputs 3 & 4 PLUS rca phono (labelled 3 & 4) are the 1/4" not line in then?
61xtPj1rRaL._SL1000_.jpg
61xtPj1rRaL._SL1000_.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

QVprod

27 Nov 2018

unclenofun wrote:
27 Nov 2018
unclenofun wrote:
27 Nov 2018

I thought the back of it had 1/4" jack inputs 3 & 4 PLUS rca phono (labelled 3 & 4) are the 1/4" not line in then?
61xtPj1rRaL._SL1000_.jpg
[/quote]

Ah I missed that! That answers your question then. When an interface has numbered inputs (like 1-4) they re always simultaneous inputs.

unclenofun

27 Nov 2018

so 1 synth (L&R) in the front 1&2 and the 2nd synth (L&R) in the back 3&4?

cool, just wanted to clarify that!

thanks!

• Information