Analogue Synth Combi Project

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
86Crush

24 Dec 2022

Hello all,

After seeing some incredible combi's and designs on here I was inspired to start a project, which is now becoming a thesis :lol: I'd love some feedback on this and to work with you all on this since I'm sure we could all benefit!

I have 4 synths: Roland D-50, Roland JX-8P, Korg Poly-61 and Ensoniq ESQ-1
and am hoping to get some insight on how to really make this work the right way (which would be incredible)

The build (so far) in Reason 12

MIDI OUT device, then
Combine
Create audio track (to route synth audio)
Create matrix editor under MIDI OUT device (for Sequencing)
Assign MIDI OUT CC OUTPUT to control filter on synth.
(You should be able to assign 8 different parameters)
Map the CC OFFSET to Combi control knob of choice.
and yes you can change programs/patches right from this device (which is SICK)
Ultimately I'll have patch base running underneath all this, to transfer banks via SYSEX to a few of the synths (beside the fact)
((pretty neat right?))

Challenges:

Building proper knobs and creating (actually good looking) backdrops for these synths rather than the nasty stretched out .png's we've all come to hate. ((Fact: I would pay a designer for this to be done properly)) It obviously wouldn't be a total rip of the logo etc. (Heaven knows Roland will chase people to the ends of the Earth for doing this) but to make something with a proper color scheme that paid tribute to the actual synth. Along the lines of what is done with Kontakt instruments, but about 400 times less ugly, and more functional with beautifully and simple design.

The End Goal:

May actually be pretty complicated for me because using Reason (stand-alone) is not the same anymore (ever since Reason 5) IMO they ruined a GUI that was just simple and efficient, only to bring in a gigantic awkward SSL mixer (14:2 mixer R.I.P) :puf_unhappy: I'm actually building combinators to use as external plugins in Ableton, which was actually a HUGE blessing because it marries the two programs without the headache of rewire. Using Reason devices as plugins and being able to use the sequencers, utilities, etc, is just as inspiring as ever. Plus you've got Ableton's functionality, also being able to stack it's plugins, chains etc (so double fun)

Why all this trouble you might ask?

Because (for example) I'll be using a beautiful combinator of one of my analogue synths on a second IPS touch screen, zoomed at 160-180% (which is stunning with Retina) Yes. I will be touching Reason and controlling parameters of analogue synths inside a beautiful interface, using combinator as a pedal-board of FX and sequences.

Why not just reach over and tweak the synths
? Because buttons, knobs and sliders on 30+ year old synths hate you.

Why not just use a macro in Ableton? Because a combinator is WAY prettier.

I encourage everyone to expand on this if you can and drop some ideas! I'll send you the session if you'd like!

crimsonwarlock

24 Dec 2022

There are several similar combinators for other hardware synths available in the shop, mos of them free. You could check those out for ideas and solutions.
86Crush wrote:
24 Dec 2022
Building proper knobs and creating (actually good looking) backdrops for these synths...
Keep in mind that you can only use the knobs and buttons that are available in combi2. You can't make your own.

As for ugly stretched backdrop graphics, I've seen very few of those. Most people who are building combis are doing quite a bit of graphical work to create nice backdrops (including myself).
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

86Crush

24 Dec 2022

I'll check the shop for those!

I'm likely referring to backdrops from way back that were being built. As I mentioned, I've also seen some beautiful stuff created by users on here. Would you consider building (let's say five) different backdrops? I was going to check Fiverr for this but doing it for Reason backdrops is too specific. I'd be re-naming the synths (for obvious reasons) but copying the color/font scheme.

I've also been hearing that there will eventually be new buttons/knobs added in the future, so that's exciting.

Thank you for the reply!

crimsonwarlock

25 Dec 2022

86Crush wrote:
24 Dec 2022
Would you consider building (let's say five) different backdrops?
Even though I would like to help, I don't have the time available. I still have several combis of my own (and a VST project with another dev) that I hardly can get to work on.
86Crush wrote:
24 Dec 2022
I've also been hearing that there will eventually be new buttons/knobs added in the future, so that's exciting.
We already got a few new knobs and buttons a while ago. I don't think another set of goodies is high on the prop's todo-list.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information