Reason 12.5.0 Released (VST3)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Arrant
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

bx_oberhausen presets can't be accessed from either the VST2 or VST3 versions, but that's fine since that one actually has a built-in preset browser

moalla

21 Dec 2022

Tried Vst's from Audiodamage, Audiothing, Audiomodern, Arturia, Bedroomproducersblog, CheeryAudio, Variety of Sound, KX77free, Surge, Odin2, Waves, pluginalliance Knifonium, UVI Prime8, FullBucket Synths, CaelumAudio Effects and finally Izotope Elements Stuff what was not usable in R10. Most of themm are vst3 and I had no problems to drag over old new device. Now the performance iss similiar or better with 30open taps and video in background incl wlan + virus detection on like without internet and browser before on a 4core 2015 notebook.

First i got crackles in a 8track playing lot of effects project, when i'm using nectar3 and bigceil acustica, taskmanager shows up 44% R12 cpu usage, without internet 39% without bigceil and nectar3 elements cpu usage is 34%
and finaly Nectar3 is the dropout cpu hog.

In terms of cpu usage and cpu heavy synths like diva, i can report for one device that their no dropouts when playing real massive chords 8-10notes with brainworx knifonium vst3, preset: rosebud + effect chain of abbeyroadchambers, dearVR, LittleAlterBoy, Chrystallizer, stardust 201 echo, what never worked before, if only you would play chords with knifonium without effects.

R12 cpu usage 38%, internet off 37%
R12 DSP bar full System cpu load 40-45%
Adding extra redrum dropouts beginn
DearVR off plus extra instrument parsec/chinese pipa only sporadiclly dropouts

All tested on the way, with 256samples onboard sound, 120watt power supply Thinkpad t440p i7
Ddr3 1600l

If people looking for a new machine, take care how the notebook handles temperatures and cpu throttling, also ramspeed makes a huge difference. Keyword TDP, macbookair vs macbookpro continous load....
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Arrant
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

Here is the problem I'm experiencing, the VST2 preset list (top) is no longer available in VST3 (bottom)
presets missing.png
presets missing.png (406.14 KiB) Viewed 4343 times

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Is this what you're looking for?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... transpose/
I use this is just about every project at some point. Incredibly handy.

Creativemind

21 Dec 2022

mcatalao wrote:
19 Dec 2022
DaveyG wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Aw man. Now we're gonna have to find something else to complain endlessly about.... :twisted:
Auto Punch in. I need Auto Punch in.
:lol:

I know there are at least a couple of reasons, I have read it somewhere before but since forgot, what does punch in/out give you specifically?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Jackjackdaw

21 Dec 2022

Doesn’t comping achieve the same thing? I have never managed to get a punch in on a part that doesn’t sound awful. I just redo the whole take if I blew it.

geronimo

21 Dec 2022

Sorry if the question has already been asked. :oops:
So, when the effect or the instrument is available in two versions, is it better to open the VST2 version or the one in VST3 format ?

Creativemind

21 Dec 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Is it now possible to load RRP inside stand-alone?
I thought this the other day. Is it gonna cause a glitch in the matrix haha! be interesting to know.

R.jpeg.jpg
R.jpeg.jpg (486.68 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
EDIT - It has been answered after I commented here. The RRP cannot be loaded into Reason stand-alone now we have VST3 if anyone missed it.
Last edited by Creativemind on 21 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

21 Dec 2022

Arrant wrote:
19 Dec 2022
challism wrote:
19 Dec 2022

Is it RAW fish?
Probably, hovever this didn't fix the issue:raw.png
The Oven haha! can that plug-in help with a half baked idea? :lol:

Creativemind

21 Dec 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Arrant wrote:
20 Dec 2022

Yes, all the UAD Spark VST3 instruments work. And people asked why VST3 was important :cool:
"bUt WiLl It MaKe YoUr MuSiC sOuNd BeTtEr" - said someone somewhere :D
No because it already sounded better when we used just hardware. It was already compromised as soon as we did everything ALL in the box.

joeyluck

21 Dec 2022

Arrant wrote:
21 Dec 2022
joeyluck wrote:
21 Dec 2022

I just tested with PA's bx_oberhausen VST3 and had no issues. The preset I saved with the VST proxy device recalled all the parameter settings as I had saved them. I tried various other VST3s as well without any issues.

What isn't working for you? What plugins specifically are you using?
There are no presets to choose from in the little preset browser. Effects plugins, like the Lindell 80 channel or LISA.
VST2 versions of the plugins have the presets intact.
Gotcha. Yeah I'm not sure which ones should have it and which shouldn't.

I know VST2 uses fxb/fxp, but not all devs seem to implement that for VST2. And then VST3 uses .vstpreset and I'm guessing it's the same in regards to whether or not a dev has used it for their plugin? Does a .vstpreset file exist in any of the support folders for any of these plugins you are trying?

earwig83

22 Dec 2022

jam-s wrote:
19 Dec 2022
earwig83 wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Is this accurate? because if so, this puts us all in a bad position for old file recovery in the future. My concern is that if the VST3 doesn't simply seamlessly replace the VST2 version, than we are basically going to eventually lose access to years of songs, no? I'm honestly a bit concerned about this and this was part of why I originally avoided VSTS altogether. If moving to VST3 breaks old song compatibility (should vst2 support eventually be dropped) than I feel I was right to never trust this format to begin with. It just goes to show how beautiful reason was until this vst nightmare came to our town. I regret getting sucked into the shiny VST word now for sure.
That has been clear from the first day they implemented VST support. As VST don't come nicely bundled and automatically recompiled for new architectures or OS versions (unlike REs) some of those they will get outdated and unsupported by the flow of time. My advice is: For any project using VSTs you should always have their output also bounced in place or as stems to ward off any future problems after OS updates or licensing issues.
yeah for sure. But bouncing is still a hassle for my flow, the benefit of reason has always been being able to open things and play as is. In fact, VSTs were also good for this until this sudden VST3 bs kicked in, now i will have to rethink everything, which is fine i guess. So I dunno, I still think my dislike is mostly directed at Steinberg and developers in general. I am a staunch supported of supporting everything forever, even though I know how unrealistic that is.

earwig83

22 Dec 2022

avasopht wrote:
19 Dec 2022
earwig83 wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Is this accurate? because if so, this puts us all in a bad position for old file recovery in the future. My concern is that if the VST3 doesn't simply seamlessly replace the VST2 version, than we are basically going to eventually lose access to years of songs, no? I'm honestly a bit concerned about this and this was part of why I originally avoided VSTS altogether. If moving to VST3 breaks old song compatibility (should vst2 support eventually be dropped) than I feel I was right to never trust this format to begin with. It just goes to show how beautiful reason was until this vst nightmare came to our town. I regret getting sucked into the shiny VST word now for sure.
I've been trying to bounce all of my tracks so that I can always access them (no matter the DAW, no matter whose machine I'm using).
Definitely, but hard to do with so many tracks piling up over the years. Def a project to consider. I also kinda miss the batch exporter, would be cool to see an update on that. Overall it has been nice, and mostly continues to be nice, to be able to open old songs without issue.

Nielsen

22 Dec 2022

The patch name says it all. :shock:

geronimo

22 Dec 2022

geronimo wrote:
21 Dec 2022
So, when the effect or the instrument is available in two versions, is it better to open the VST2 version or the one in VST3 format ?
Nobody knows ?

jam-s

22 Dec 2022

geronimo wrote:
22 Dec 2022
geronimo wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Nobody knows ?
In most case they are basically the same. Sometimes the VST2 version might have some bugs that the VST3 version has not, sometimes the VST3 version might be buggy and sometimes both. When starting something new, I'd rather pick the VST3 version when working with R12.5 as any plugin developer might stop supporting the VST2 version any time sooner or later.

geronimo

22 Dec 2022

Yes, okay, but we don't even benefit from the MIDI Output of the VST3 from Reason.

One year of waiting just for that; I find that M1 compatibility was more urgent, finally in my opinion.
Because the abandonment of the VST2 format will not happen quickly: sorry but this whole strategy does not inspire confidence.

jam-s

22 Dec 2022

I' kindly disagree here: VST3 was/is more important than M1 support, as Reason works OK using rosetta, but new VST plugin developers can only legally release their plugins as VST3 as Steinberg stopped giving out new licenses for the VST2 SDK for quite some time now.

LittleBoy

22 Dec 2022

I've tried 25 or 30 VST3 instruments and effects and except for some slowness and one or two occasional crashes, everything works quite well on my Mac Mini M1. It's a first version with VST3 support, so the bugs are normal, and I'm sure they'll be fixed in future updates.

QVprod

22 Dec 2022

geronimo wrote:
22 Dec 2022
Yes, okay, but we don't even benefit from the MIDI Output of the VST3 from Reason.

One year of waiting just for that; I find that M1 compatibility was more urgent, finally in my opinion.
Because the abandonment of the VST2 format will not happen quickly: sorry but this whole strategy does not inspire confidence.
We didn’t benefit from midi output from VST2 either. VST3 support was likely a necessary component in M1 support. Especially since VST2 abandonment has already started happening with some developers. New plugins for M1 will likely be VST3.

Either way M1 support is likely to arrive in the next month or 2.
As we mentioned in our previous update, we are also working on a new authorization solution that will make the offline support in Reason 12 simpler than today and bring offline support to Reason+. For technical reasons native Apple silicon support needs to be released with the new offline solution, which means it’s coming out sometime early 2023.
https://reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap- ... as-agevik/

StephenHutchinson

22 Dec 2022

Nielsen wrote:
22 Dec 2022

NOICE!
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

StephenHutchinson

22 Dec 2022

Nielsen wrote:
22 Dec 2022

Sweetness indeed! I take it you used the default patch on the Juno-106?

Sweetness Indeed.png
Sweetness Indeed.png (411.97 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

ohmygoff

23 Dec 2022

This is what I get when trying to create about one third of the Arturia synths as VST3 (DX7, Buchla, Synthi...).

Anyone else?
Attachments
artur.jpg
artur.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 3920 times

Nielsen

23 Dec 2022

StephenHutchinson wrote:
22 Dec 2022
Sweetness indeed! I take it you used the default patch on the Juno-106?
I used the House Stab preset on the Juno but perhaps turn up the decay and sustain on the envelopes to make it less plucky. Set range to taste (8 or 16).

EnochLight

23 Dec 2022

Nielsen wrote:
22 Dec 2022

“Init Patch”? :lol: ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information