Reason 12.5.0 Released (VST3)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

19 Dec 2022

moalla wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Hang bug, so your hint is, I have to install the last non vst Version Logue? :puf_unhappy:
I just manualy installed R12.5, i also reported three errors to RS and found two version of authorizer on my machine what i uninstalled.
I´m on Win10 22h2
Which errors? From Reason directly, a VST or what exactly?
Does R12.5 work now?
Reason12, Win10

moalla

19 Dec 2022

12.5 doesn´t work,i have reported this "loading hang" bug, error 161, 74 and 93 to RS in the beta.
Also 12.2.10D39 after reinstall now isn´t loading, that´s really annoying, maybe now i have to reinstalll win10 on my machine :shock: ,
such a problem never happened before.

Do someone had this problem with R12?
Last edited by moalla on 19 Dec 2022, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

BananaSkins

19 Dec 2022

Not jumped ship to my copy of R12 just yet - just a quick question; whilst using R12.5 if you delete all VST2 versions in favour of VST3 and open up an old rsn demo that contains VST2 - will the VST2 plugins be replaced with the installed VST3 plugins?

esselfortium

19 Dec 2022

BananaSkins wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Not jumped ship to my copy of R12 just yet - just a quick question; whilst using R12.5 if you delete all VST2 versions in favour of VST3 and open up an old rsn demo that contains VST2 - will the VST2 plugins be replaced with the installed VST3 plugins?
No, at least as of now you'll need to keep both versions. I think this is because there are sometimes differences in parameters between VST2/VST3 versions that can make 1:1 translation difficult to do automatically.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

crimsonwarlock

19 Dec 2022

BananaSkins wrote:
19 Dec 2022
My guess is no. As we can see the VST2 and VST3 versions side by side, means they will have different plugin IDs. So it could be hard (or impossible) to determine which VST3 plugins to load instead. I also haven't seen that functionality in other DAWs.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Tiny Montgomery

19 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Dec 2022
BananaSkins wrote:
19 Dec 2022
My guess is no. As we can see the VST2 and VST3 versions side by side, means they will have different plugin IDs. So it could be hard (or impossible) to determine which VST3 plugins to load instead. I also haven't seen that functionality in other DAWs.
This is almost certainly correct and a reason to keep older plugins on your system if you think they might be used in important projects. However if you don't need them for now and want the list of instrument and fx to look tidier just uncheck the vst2 folder(s) in Prefs.

I'd also recommend not just deleting VST2 versions of things like the Arturia V & FX collections or Korg instruments. Ive havent noticed way of not installing the VST2s when you install these instruments (could be wrong) and Ive read elsewhere of people having issues with the VST3 after trying to delete the VST2 versions.

BananaSkins

19 Dec 2022

:thumbup: Thank you for your replies -

Nielsen

19 Dec 2022

Finally! No more using RRP in Logic when I also want to use a certain third-party instrument. I briefly fired up Roland’s JD-800 VST3 in Reason and it appears to works like a charm. Cannot wait to make some music without the technical limitations.

BeReasonable

19 Dec 2022

They are going to have to install a filter in the browser to list VST2, VST3, or both types when browsing. Going through a double list of all my VSTs is going to suck HARD every time I want to find something. Especially with the giant icons they use.

Grimlucky

19 Dec 2022

Is there midi out from VSTs like Scaler now as well?

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

BeReasonable wrote:
19 Dec 2022
They are going to have to install a filter in the browser to list VST2, VST3, or both types when browsing. Going through a double list of all my VSTs is going to suck HARD every time I want to find something. Especially with the giant icons they use.
You can always make favorite lists, I would recommend this in any case to avoid bloated plugin lists

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Is there midi out from VSTs like Scaler now as well?
I don't have r12 but Matthias mentioned previously it would be the same as vst2 so no midi out.

No idea if they plan to add this in the future though and only rs staff will know if this is in the pipeline or being considered.

geronimo

19 Dec 2022

ASustain.jpg
ASustain.jpg (617.58 KiB) Viewed 10016 times

nebraskafire

19 Dec 2022

I get some graphic glitches in the mixer and the play button looks odd. In the mixer between the mix channels there some white lines appearing and disappearing.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-19 144428.png
Screenshot 2022-12-19 144428.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
Screenshot 2022-12-19 144405.png
Screenshot 2022-12-19 144405.png (147.43 KiB) Viewed 10014 times

chimp_spanner

19 Dec 2022

geronimo wrote:
19 Dec 2022
ASustain.jpg
Oh this is weird! Can anyone confirm if it used to be there? It is also not automatable either. AD and R are. But not S. Nice catch!

BeReasonable

19 Dec 2022

Arrant wrote:
19 Dec 2022
BeReasonable wrote:
19 Dec 2022
You can always make favorite lists, I would recommend this in any case to avoid bloated plugin lists
I did this for VST2, now I have to do this for VST3. Reason's Laziness or lack of programming skills should not make the lives of their users more difficult and require additional steps.

-008'

19 Dec 2022

Working good so far. and my system is outdated.
I was going to test all the new vst3 I have, but today Im stuck just jammin on EZdrummer 3 :thumbup:

p.s. sustain on Mimic isn't missing, it was just never there, unfortunately.
maybe because 8 slots, param. limit, etc..
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

19 Dec 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Dec 2022
geronimo wrote:
19 Dec 2022
ASustain.jpg
Oh this is weird! Can anyone confirm if it used to be there? It is also not automatable either. AD and R are. But not S. Nice catch!
It didn't use to be there, no. The Sustain level on Mimic is not automatable.

tobypearce

19 Dec 2022

Fantastic work on VST3 - very exciting.

I note others have commented on the fact that we now have VST2 and VST3 plugins showing in the list, which makes the list massive and harder to use. I was interested to read that at least one other VST host (not sure if it's a DAW or not!) has a button to 'upgrade' a VST plugin, which replaces the VST2 version with the VST3 one. This is the Cantabile program.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 15.11.04.png
Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 15.11.04.png (125.95 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

PhillipOrdonez

19 Dec 2022

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

DaveyG wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Aw man. Now we're gonna have to find something else to complain endlessly about.... :twisted:
Auto Punch in. I need Auto Punch in.

MuttReason

19 Dec 2022

mcatalao wrote:
19 Dec 2022
DaveyG wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Aw man. Now we're gonna have to find something else to complain endlessly about.... :twisted:
Auto Punch in. I need Auto Punch in.
OK, I’ll play….

1) Markers
2) Auto MIDI comp lanes (great for audio, why not MIDI too?)
3) MIDI clock out to multiple MIDI ports not just one port only, would make hardware integration easier.

Er, actually that’s it for me, for the DAW at least. Got what I need otherwise I think.

Oh, ability to have different zoom levels for the browser and the rack in the RRP would be great too but I suspect that would be v complicated and possibly not even feasible.

None of the above are really complaints though. And, for me, definitely not endless complaints…. :-)

earwig83

19 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Dec 2022
BananaSkins wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Is this accurate? because if so, this puts us all in a bad position for old file recovery in the future. My concern is that if the VST3 doesn't simply seamlessly replace the VST2 version, than we are basically going to eventually lose access to years of songs, no? I'm honestly a bit concerned about this and this was part of why I originally avoided VSTS altogether. If moving to VST3 breaks old song compatibility (should vst2 support eventually be dropped) than I feel I was right to never trust this format to begin with. It just goes to show how beautiful reason was until this vst nightmare came to our town. I regret getting sucked into the shiny VST word now for sure.

earwig83

19 Dec 2022

BeReasonable wrote:
19 Dec 2022
Arrant wrote:
19 Dec 2022

I did this for VST2, now I have to do this for VST3. Reason's Laziness or lack of programming skills should not make the lives of their users more difficult and require additional steps.
it's the bare minimum every time with this company's implementations. It's quite disheartening. So close, yet so far. Don't even get me started about the inconsistent device type searching. Unless the word delay is in the name of a device, I cannot sort by device/effect type. It's actually really sad.

crimsonwarlock

19 Dec 2022

earwig83 wrote:
19 Dec 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Dec 2022

Is this accurate? because if so, this puts us all in a bad position for old file recovery in the future. My concern is that if the VST3 doesn't simply seamlessly replace the VST2 version, than we are basically going to eventually lose access to years of songs, no? I'm honestly a bit concerned about this and this was part of why I originally avoided VSTS altogether. If moving to VST3 breaks old song compatibility (should vst2 support eventually be dropped) than I feel I was right to never trust this format to begin with. It just goes to show how beautiful reason was until this vst nightmare came to our town. I regret getting sucked into the shiny VST word now for sure.
The VST-specification uses unique IDs to make sure that updates of a plugin will replace the plugin, while new versions might be able to be installed side by side with old ones, when compiled with new IDs. If VST3 plugins would automatically replace VST2 versions, that could create unwanted plugin behavior in a project because there might be differences between the VST2 and VST3 version that a DAW might not be able to handle. So, this is not an oversight, it's a security feature. And Reason Studios has absolutely zero control over this, as it is part of the VST-specification, which is controlled by Steinberg.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information