New Roadmap (December 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

crimsonwarlock

16 Dec 2022

Wow, looks like Reason 12 will receive some well-deserved developer love before jumping to the next major version :thumbup: :clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Loque

16 Dec 2022

So...the RE already could run nativ on M1 and M2....Sounds like it wont take too long until release... Good news for Mac users.

Personally i am more interested in VST3 and offline authorization. Hopefully they get the beta licenses managed well - i am so f***ing anyoed by the permanent license updates.

And looking forward to this:
During 2023 we’ll keep adding features to Reason 12 to continue making it the best version of Reason ever
Reason12, Win10

PropitiousME

16 Dec 2022

Well stated. On the surface, it's an encouraging update. I guess we'll see what the below reference actually means though:
During 2023 we’ll keep adding features to Reason 12 to continue making it the best version of Reason ever
Call me cynical, but my gut tells me that statement should have ended with "for R+ subscribers". :twisted: Regardless, I bit the bullet on 12 UG (perp). Hopefully Monday's update goes well for the team so they can move forward post holiday.

Bare minimum, core DAW functionality and or workflow improvements should affect everyone in 2023. You have our attention RS.

joeyluck

16 Dec 2022

There was some discussion about things on the list. Where things sit on the list is anybody's guess.

Ryan talked about a discussion involving improvements to the browser being "on the list". That might mean tags or whatever features might be a part of the "smart browser" they mentioned on the roadmap before.

Livestream at 26:18

There might've been a few hints in the live chat as well for things on the list? You'll have to watch the nearly 6 hours to catch anything though 😅

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
16 Dec 2022
Well stated. On the surface, it's an encouraging update. I guess we'll see what the below reference actually means though:
Call me cynical, but my gut tells me that statement should have ended with "for R+ subscribers". :twisted: Regardless, I bit the bullet on 12 UG (perp). Hopefully Monday's update goes well for the team so they can move forward post holiday.

Bare minimum, core DAW functionality and or workflow improvements should affect everyone in 2023. You have our attention RS.
All updates to R12 are free updates users with any R12.x license (apart from Rack Extensions).

All 12.x updates are free for users with a 12.x license.

R+ subscribers aren't bound by version numbers. They will also have access to early-release features when made available.

Remember, cynicism is wrong 99% of the time ;)

Unless it is explicitly changed, we should not expect it to change any more than we should expect Reason's ability to open Reason files made by another user to change ;)

Billy+

16 Dec 2022

:lol:

I will definitely keep my eyes open for progress into 2023 and plan to upgrade into 2024 maybe if R12 moves out of continuous beta and actually becomes a stable major version.

I didn't watch the live stream - and maybe should, as it seams that "we" got some hints to the future devices and direction of Reason but for now I've shifted from Mac to Windows using RRP R11 via Live 11 and intend to stick with until Reason as a standalone daw is worth the upgrade price.

joeyluck

16 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2022
I will definitely keep my eyes open for progress into 2023 and plan to upgrade into 2024 maybe if R12 moves out of continuous beta and actually becomes a stable major version.
R12 has been very stable for some time now and performing as good and better than R11. What issues are you having?

Or is this perhaps a misunderstanding about the ongoing beta program? Just because the beta program continues, and they continue to test and release point updates, doesn't mean it's not stable.

Billy+

16 Dec 2022

Maybe I just need to fully understand the current rolling version philosophy.

But for the last 20 years I've brought a product that is what it is with updates that address some of the bugs that seem to cause problems for the most vocal - which up until recently I hadn't been.

But seriously I'm not sold on the current rolling development version given the alternatives (Live | Logic) especially when the claims about how the future might look followed by the subsequent delays that R12 has experienced, it's just not worth the £199 or £20 PCM with fingers crossed like it once was.

I've moved on like quite a few and quite frankly it's going to take a lot more than planned future developments to make me loyal again especially given what the last few years have given us long term supporters.

stillifegaijin

16 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2022

But for the last 20 years I've brought a product that is what it is with updates that address some of the bugs that seem to cause problems for the most vocal - which up until recently I hadn't been.

But seriously I'm not sold on the current rolling development version given the alternatives (Live | Logic) especially when the claims about how the future might look followed by the subsequent delays that R12 has experienced, it's just not worth the £199 or £20 PCM with fingers crossed like it once was.

I've moved on like quite a few and quite frankly it's going to take a lot more than planned future developments to make me loyal again especially given what the last few years have given us long term supporters.
Not to start a fight but...If you've "moved on" why are you here complaining so much?

Note - I am a very longterm user and I am very happy.

joeyluck

16 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2022
It simply means that Reason gets better and better with more frequent updates. From my experience, it's the best it has ever been. It's solid and it has been for some time. You can always test the demo mode ;)

There have been 12 updates so far for R12. Read through the release notes. On Monday it will be update #13.

PropitiousME

17 Dec 2022

avasopht wrote:
16 Dec 2022
PropitiousME wrote:
16 Dec 2022

All updates to R12 are free updates users with any R12.x license (apart from Rack Extensions).

All 12.x updates are free for users with a 12.x license.

R+ subscribers aren't bound by version numbers. They will also have access to early-release features when made available.

Remember, cynicism is wrong 99% of the time ;)

Unless it is explicitly changed, we should not expect it to change any more than we should expect Reason's ability to open Reason files made by another user to change ;)
Thanks for the breakdown captain obvious... wink wink wink wink.

crimsonwarlock

17 Dec 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
16 Dec 2022
Bare minimum, core DAW functionality and or workflow improvements should affect everyone in 2023.
This makes no sense at all. How could DAW improvements NOT affect everyone? There is no difference between the R+ and the R-perpetual product, it is one product. The only difference is the payment schedule.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

PropitiousME

17 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Dec 2022
PropitiousME wrote:
16 Dec 2022
Bare minimum, core DAW functionality and or workflow improvements should affect everyone in 2023.
This makes no sense at all. How could DAW improvements NOT affect everyone? There is no difference between the R+ and the R-perpetual product, it is one product. The only difference is the payment schedule.
Let me be more succinct in the point I was trying to make since it clearly didn't get across to some folks. I was understating the known expectation that core updates to the product release cycle were an entitlement, but implying it sure would be nice if RS would show some goodwill with it's perpetual user base by tossing us a bone outside *BUG* fixes. Hence my subtle jest about the recent statement (RE: addendum of: "for Reason+ users"). My cynicism on the subject doesn't expect it'll happen though, I'm just being up front about that. Maybe that ruffles some feathers, but it shouldn't given where we stand.

I upgraded despite all this because at this point it's relatively stable and I value the 4K and Combinator 2.0 support. Obviously, everyone was entitled to the core updates that fixed the broken product we all received at roll out. Lets not pretend that was RS doing us favors though. Customer retention matters as much as incentivizing ongoing upgrades for all license holders into the future, not just R+ (which is where all new development has gone outside the obligated bug fixes so far).

Mimic was offered to perps at release because it would have been a PR disaster if they didn't include it given the existing climate at the time. Since release, it's worth considering what perp users have received in comparison to R+ subscribers. Nothing... we're still holding the bag with a ~65% increase in upgrade cost, that's it. Even Black Friday rubbed salt into that wound with a lopsided price model. It's raining devices and perks over at the R+ club. Not that we all didn't see this coming, some of us are just hopeful that once in awhile we get reminded we're valued customers too? There are ways they could do it with out bleeding too much opportunity cost if they're smart about it. It could be a win for everyone, not just R+. So while a new device is baking in the oven, I wouldn't be surprised to see it withheld from perps. I would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong though.

crimsonwarlock

17 Dec 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
So while a new device is baking in the oven, I wouldn't be surprised to see it withheld from perps. I would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong though.
Your views still come across a bit skewed to me. Nothing is being "withheld" from anyone. We don't get stuff for free, we need to pay for it. Perpetual owners (like myself for the record) have to buy a new instrument, while R+ users are paying for it monthly... indefinitely!

Let's look at it from the other side. Reason Studios release a new instrument, and I get it for free (as a perpetual license owner) while R+ users have to pay for it EACH MONTH to get it. From my perspective, that would be unfair. We all like to get stuff for free, but saying that R+ users are getting stuff for free that perpetual owners must pay for, is factually wrong; they pay every month and when they stop paying, they are left with nothing.

At the end of the day, everyone pays for what they get, one way or the other. It's the law of the universe :puf_bigsmile:
-------

stillifegaijin

17 Dec 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Dec 2022

Let me be more succinct in the point I was trying to make since it clearly didn't get across to some folks. I was understating the known expectation that core updates to the product release cycle were an entitlement, but implying it sure would be nice if RS would show some goodwill with it's perpetual user base by tossing us a bone outside *BUG* fixes. Hence my subtle jest about the recent statement (RE: addendum of: "for Reason+ users"). My cynicism on the subject doesn't expect it'll happen though, I'm just being up front about that. Maybe that ruffles some feathers, but it shouldn't given where we stand.

I upgraded despite all this because at this point it's relatively stable and I value the 4K and Combinator 2.0 support. Obviously, everyone was entitled to the core updates that fixed the broken product we all received at roll out. Lets not pretend that was RS doing us favors though. Customer retention matters as much as incentivizing ongoing upgrades for all license holders into the future, not just R+ (which is where all new development has gone outside the obligated bug fixes so far).

Mimic was offered to perps at release because it would have been a PR disaster if they didn't include it given the existing climate at the time. Since release, it's worth considering what perp users have received in comparison to R+ subscribers. Nothing... we're still holding the bag with a ~65% increase in upgrade cost, that's it. Even Black Friday rubbed salt into that wound with a lopsided price model. It's raining devices and perks over at the R+ club. Not that we all didn't see this coming, some of us are just hopeful that once in awhile we get reminded we're valued customers too? There are ways they could do it with out bleeding too much opportunity cost if they're smart about it. It could be a win for everyone, not just R+. So while a new device is baking in the oven, I wouldn't be surprised to see it withheld from perps. I would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong though.
Did you not get the update we all got that made Reason about 100 times more efficient than it was before? Conspiracy theorists are so boring. Nobody is out to get you. Reason + users get more devices as promised. They don’t get a better working program. If you want all those Reason + perks go ahead and pay for them. I don’t. I have a perpetual license and I’m totally happy cause I don’t have a brain that’s constantly trying to figure out how some shadowy organization is ripping me off.

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2022

Basically it works like this.

Major releases of products sold on physical mediums are committed to a final "gold master" branch.

Once the gold master branch is completed and the gold build sent for DVD replication, a new branch for the next version (and gold master) is targeted by the whole team.

This is why ver X.5 releases are momentous occasions (2.5 with vocoder, rv7000, scream, unison and spider , 6.5 with RE and 9.5 with VST).

But Agile development workflows do away with the need for any distinct gold master targets (unless you wanted to purposefully withhold features till the next version).

Even major versions are a little arbitrary, so you sometimes see products switch to using the year to identify and synchronise major versions (or LTS releases).

It also simplifies bug fixes to the current release (since technically it is the old branch once released).

It is one of, if not, the most natural and stable production process for products that will be continually worked on.

For an end user, rolling releases means most (sometimes close to all) new features target the current version rather then the next version.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Dec 2022

First off, Mimic was a planned part of R12.

Secondly, Rack Extensions were released over a decade ago with R6.5. So for over 10 years now, RS has been releasing optional, add-on devices in the shop that were not a part of the Reason release. That was prior to R+. The subscription is an option that makes it easier for those who want access to everything that RS releases.

Reason back in the day used to mostly be about new devices, but that changed a while back. We still do get devices built in, but not all of them. Again, it has been this way prior to R+. In terms of how things have been for the past decade now, them saying that an instrument is on the way says nothing about it being included and I wouldn't consider it being "withheld" if it's not included with Reason.

I started with Reason 1 and have used Reason for about 22 years. And nearly half that time has involved optional REs in the shop.

kurtg

17 Dec 2022

Great to read about the m1/m2 roadmap. Does it mean that codemeter will be replaced by something else ?

PropitiousME

17 Dec 2022

Yes, Mimic was a planned part of the release for version 12 Joey. As I stated, it was just good business to do so and anything else would have been poorly received. Imagine how many users are still on 1080p monitors. Never mind the considerations around who actually makes use of combi's vs those that don't even fuss with them. Reason has to properly incentivize their entire audience if they want to sell licenses and without Mimic's inclusion they would have a lost even more perps than they already have.

As to the rest of the replies, you don't have to try and explain how the version system works or the difference between R+ and perpetual license. I'm well aware of the differences and what each version of the product offers because that's what you research before you dump stacks of paper on anything. I'm simply stating that it would be cool to see perp owners incentivized with something else released during the current development cycle outside bug fixes. This isn't some novel idea at other shops, it happens all the time. Here, it would seem nobody has considered such a thing. What a cool release cycle event that would be to see at Reason Studios right? NO! Fuck me and my "conspiracy theories". We should all be considering ourselves lucky the devs committed to fixing their broken DAW and pushing those updates out to the entire base. That's what you paid for, that's all you get!

This forum is ridiculous and so closed minded sometimes. Half the topics come from the same people because there's so many lurkers here who dare not step foot with an opinion for fear it might trigger the thought police that run rampant around here. Literally, get patronized for suggesting something that would benefit a segment of the userbase because everyone should love paying subscriptions for everything in their life and losing access to it when their internet doesn't work anymore.... as small as this community already is, it can certainly get smaller can't it? Yes, I'm looking for some value in the product I own outside what I bought at current release version. Just surprise me Reason Studios, use your imagination.

Everyone is free to disagree, but don't put words in my mouth or call me a conspiracy theorist for trying to suggest something that makes the product better for perpetual users. SMH

QVprod

17 Dec 2022

Wow, RS finally honors a roadmap, I thought there’d be a bit more of a celebratory tone overall…
PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022

Everyone is free to disagree, but don't put words in my mouth or call me a conspiracy theorist for trying to suggest something that makes the product better for perpetual users. SMH
To be fair, people are responding to you seemingly feeling cheated compared to R+ users. You suggested that core functionality updates should affect all users. It does and always has since R+ was launched. Probably why the cynicism is a bit confusing.

90 percent of the content exclusive to R+ is sound packs and RS has given several free sounds away if the idea is throwing perpetuals a bone. So unless you really want every RS rack extension, you’re not missing much. Considering that VST3 and M1 support weren’t promised at launch these aren’t “bug fixes” sure some Studio One or Logic type of massive mid cycle feature update would be nice but goes without saying that something like that would affect all users

PropitiousME

17 Dec 2022

QVprod wrote:
17 Dec 2022
Wow, RS finally honors a roadmap, I thought there’d be a bit more of a celebratory tone overall…
PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022

To be fair, people are responding to you seemingly feeling cheated compared to R+ users. You suggested that core functionality updates should affect all users. It does and always has since R+ was launched. Probably why the cynicism is a bit confusing.

90 percent of the content exclusive to R+ is sound packs and RS has given several free sounds away if the idea is throwing perpetuals a bone. So unless you really want every RS rack extension, you’re not missing much. Considering that VST3 and M1 support weren’t promised at launch these aren’t “bug fixes” sure some Studio One or Logic type of massive mid cycle feature update would be nice but goes without saying that something like that would affect all users
I appreciate your candor QV. Nowhere in my statements did I say I was cheated out of anything. People are just conflating forum arguments on that topic with mine though. I should point out a few things. First, I think the confusion stemmed from a single word in my original statement (RE: poorly worded):
core DAW functionality and or workflow improvements should affect everyone in 2023.
I meant should because we all know it will based on previous RS statements, but it read differently to some. The word "will" would have been more appropriate and avoided confusion.

Secondly, I DID praise the announcement of the timeline update. I said Loque's post was well stated because he hit on points I particularly valued. I also said the update was encouraging on it's surface. We've all been promised one thing and received another before, right? So forgive me for being a bit cynical when I see RS making subjective, canned statements based on future (unknown) states like:
During 2023 we’ll keep adding features to Reason 12 to continue making it the best version of Reason ever.
The best version ever, really? That's gonna be entirely subjective based on the user's application and what they perceive as value for their chosen licensing vehicle (why even go there).

I then went on to clarify I further invested in the product and gave my reasons for doing so (RE: HD + Combi 2.0). Obviously, I value what Reason has to offer and I'd like to see it thrive. Same for the community, but there is a lot of work to be done there to remain competitive after what happened this past year. If RS really wants to afford their perpetual users more flexibility over the long term create an upgrade path wherein perps can also benefit from all the ongoing development Reason puts into their core, native devices they release during the cycle (IE. players). I'm not saying perps should have access to RE's and I don't know why folks keep trying to make it sound like I'm making a case for that being something we should have access to without paying for said products. Individual developers put work into expanding Reason functionality there and they should be rewarded accordingly.

There is a significant segment of the user base not interested in everything that R+ has to offer (IE. all the extra sample based content and device patches, etc). They just want access to the natively developed players that greatly expand Reasons core utility and workflow as it relates to being productive in the main environment. We work in a DAW entirely built on the use of devices. So those ARE the expanding features in most cases when it comes to actual workflow. Paying $240 a year to maintain parity with this feature set is ridiculous when you look at what the competition offers. It's even worse if you're a perp buying all the individual players on top of their insanely bloated upgrade cost now. People need to stop making the argument that just because Reason upgrades worked one way in the past this is how they should remain forever. It can never change and adapt despite the entire revenue model changing...

Bitwig is a good example of how to manage a rewarding upgrade subscription model AND still manage to reward the users throughout the existing version's lifecycle (outside bugfixes). Everyone wins and the price to remain relevant in terms of DAW features doesn't become astronomical for that release cycle. It's a competitive price once a year (~$130 if you UG on Black Friday each year). Everyone gets treated the same and you still have a subscription based upgrade model built-in. Look at what happened over there when they tried charging for the new Spectral Suite of devices they had developed on top of the existing upgrade path (RE: the latest release). They listened to their community and did the right thing to retain their users. They literally gave the devices to all the users that had already paid for the current upgrade.

Another thing I think people aren't seeing right now is how the disparity between perp users and R+ subscribers is going to scale over the coming years of development. Eventually, you're gonna have such a massive gap in value and core DAW functionality between the two product lines that can't be accommodated without dumping upwards of a $1,000 or more to reach parity.... Players appeal to the widest audience and they're the best selling aspect of the product after each version release. RS knows this and they're milking the living shit out of it on top of reaping the benefits of gouging customers $240 a year just to remain relevant under a subscription that is partially priced on content a lot of people don't need or want. They can do better and this model should adapt better to the individual needs of user base.

Lastly, it was stated in the article update that 2024 may not even see a Reason 13 release depending how the existing development timeline plays out (more or less):
Does that mean we’re planning for a Reason 13 in 2024? The truth is we haven’t decided yet. For the foreseeable future we’re focused on Reason 12.
If you think perp users are just gonna sit back and watch the player device count continue to stack for R+ subscribers while they aren't even tossed a bone over years of development between the versions, yeah, that's not gonna leave a good impression on a lot of people. I mean, you can argue that crowd doesn't deserve better treatment or license options, but you realize how deluded you are based on the current pricing model as soon as you branch out to see what the alternatives have on offer in the way of evolving content. Reason is not Cubase or Live or Logic, it's just not an industry standard. It's a niche product and RS needs to act like it and price accordingly, but that's just my personal opinion. Rates are obscene right now and added licensing flexibility could help to negate some of that burden by offering more value based options to the users OR by throwing us an occasional incentive.

None of this is unreasonable or stating we deserve everything for free and Reason shouldn't be paid for their work. I think some people need a headspace check though. The real RS investors behind the scenes are NOT your friend. They're here to make money and as much of it as they can without the userbase throwing a mutiny. So they'll keep raising rates and providing less for more if you guys wanna sit here and continue to empower them to do so. I mean, there's people here declaring out loud they're perpetual license holders and then subsequently making a case for why they think they don't deserve incentives in the interim dev cycle, lmfao.... ridiculous. I don't actually believe those individuals would scoff at being thrown a random incentive once in awhile, in fact, they'd probably be worshipping the executives over in RS's offices because they can't seem to fathom saying anything critical or negative about the product. They just wanna argue about why change shouldn't happen or why people that don't subscribe to their individual idea of value aren't entitled to anything they don't approve. Yet these same folks have literally nothing to lose and everything to gain from just sitting back and letting feedback flow instead of actively going out of their way to stifle it and patronize the users presenting it... as if someone that dumps $500+ on a product and more on upgrades (never mind thousands on the hardware) doesn't understand the differences between core product lines as marketed or how the fucking version system works. No, that person needs a breakdown on Reason's "history" and the basic concepts associated with subscription as a service versus static licensing. :clap:
Last edited by PropitiousME on 17 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

17 Dec 2022

Folks, relax. Back on topic, please.
Reason12, Win10

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
I meant should because we all know it will based on previous RS statements, but it read differently to some. The word "will" would have been more appropriate and avoided confusion.
Well, let's make a wager then.

If by the end of 2023 there is even one core DAW functionality or workflow improvement that is R+ exclusive, you win.

Otherwise, you are not allowed to speculate "womp womp" for the next 2 versions of Reason.
PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
Yes, Mimic was a planned part of the release for version 12 Joey. As I stated, it was just good business to do so and anything else would have been poorly received. Imagine how many users are still on 1080p monitors. Never mind the considerations around who actually makes use of combi's vs those that don't even fuss with them. Reason has to properly incentivize their entire audience if they want to sell licenses and without Mimic's inclusion they would have a lost even more perps than they already have.
That's the case for EVERY single product release since the beginning of time.
Last edited by avasopht on 17 Dec 2022, edited 2 times in total.

PropitiousME

17 Dec 2022

avasopht wrote:
17 Dec 2022
PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
Well, let's make a wager then.

If by the end of 2023 there is even one core DAW functionality or workflow improvement that is R+ exclusive, you win.

Otherwise, you are not allowed to speculate "womp womp" for the next 2 versions of Reason.
PropitiousME wrote:
17 Dec 2022
That's the case for EVERY single product release since the beginning of time.
A wager? How old are you? This is exactly what I'm talking, border line troll behavior. It isn't about me winning an argument with you or the next adolescent response in the forum. This isn't a competition, but that's seems to be your bag sir. It's about expressing feedback on Reasons development timeline as it relates to what we can expect as paid users and how improvements might be made to the existing revenue model and life cycle (without being treated like an idiot). I'll speculate all I want sir.

• Information