Reason 9.5 Akai MidiMix Controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
elephant-ears

16 Jan 2020

Hello! I recently bought an Akai MidiMix to use with Reason. This is the first controller I've ever tried to hook up. I assumed it would be automatically be recognized by Reason. I found that it wasn't, so I searched online for a fix because I really don't know what I'm doing. :lol:

I found this post...
http://thesighsofmonsters.com/2018/05/0 ... x-drivers/
https://github.com/ChrisHouston/akai-mi ... ason-codec

Is there something missing there? I didn't see any Midicodec files.

I downloaded everything there and put it in the Remote location. Now, in the Controller Setup it shows the MidiMix and seems as if it's recognized now. But when I move the sliders and knobs on my MidiMix, nothing happens in the software. I have also opened the MidiMix Editor, I haven't changed any settings there.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!!!

me-yourself-and-them

13 Jan 2022

same here. i got standard midimix setup. routed some faders to remote override already. copied sighofmonsters codecs in the right place. my remote override is still the same, no buttons lighting up.

kuro

07 Dec 2022

Hello

For anyone else having this problem in the future here is how you fix it:

1. Go to the Github page from the first post and download the files as zip. (Click on green "Code" button top right, select "download ZIP")
2. Open the remote folder of your Reason installation, default is here:
PC: C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote
Mac: HD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote
3. Paste files from zip in to their corresponding folders:
The ones in "Codecs" to "DefaultCodecs" ant the ones in "Maps" to "DefaultMaps"
4. Open/restart Reason, add your MidiMix in the settings as Akai->MidiMix
5. Done! If you map mute/solo buttons from the mixer via remote override now your LEDs will work :)

Good luck and vibes
kuro

Aquila

09 Dec 2022

I've successfully managed to integrate the codec into Reason 12 and create a blank combinator template that works perfectly. I really need to get off by backside and share it as a bundle.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2022

Aquila wrote:
09 Dec 2022
I've successfully managed to integrate the codec into Reason 12 and create a blank combinator template that works perfectly. I really need to get off by backside and share it as a bundle.
Yes please. I don't own the MidiMix but it will encourage me to purchase it. Hang on, haven't we just seen an update of a codec for the AKAI MPK Mini mk3 and the MidiMix is not exclusive to Ableton, is it? It would have been nice for the MidiMix to have been included here.

So your offer of an integrated template is highly welcome, even without the controller, yet. :thumbup:

Aquila

10 Dec 2022

ok, I won't hijack this thread with it though. I'll try and post it in the Hardware section of the forum in the next few days...remind me if I forget.

Michał Petaś

12 Feb 2023

Hi,

If you want to use AKAI MIDIMix controller with Reason 12, please go to my GitHub repository and follow the installation instructions: https://github.com/majkyxyz/Reason12-AK ... ntegration . All buttons, knobs, faders, leds work as they should work.

Regards
Michał

Arpeg
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

Well this is great, thank you very much for your work and share.
Just looked at the Akai website and this controller comes with Reason+ 6 months free but is not on the list of supported MIDI keyboards and control surfaces in Reason? Useful, not!
On the Akai website "you can send all the mixer’s settings to their DAW with a single press of a button" I guess this cannot be done in Reason so would presume it as not a good impression when finding out one has to write a script that they may or may not know.

I guess Reason or Akai can jump on github now n' grab yours?? :puf_smile:

Michał Petaś

13 Feb 2023

Hi,

"On the Akai website "you can send all the mixer’s settings to their DAW with a single press of a button" I guess this cannot be done in Reason so would presume it as not a good impression when finding out one has to write a script that they may or may not know."

Unfortunately, this button works with other DAWs , but not with Reason.

"I guess Reason or Akai can jump on github now n' grab yours??"

I'm wondering why they didn't write such scripts 5 years ago when the controller was new in the market ? I'm the owner of this device since last week :-).

Michał

Arpeg
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2023

I want it now but I am going to wait a little while for any news of a MIDIMix 2, as other AKAI controllers in this range are being updated. Trying to find some info on it but to no avail at the mo..😀

Simon Ho

04 Mar 2024

I've just got an Akai MidiMix, by 'Edit Remote Override Mapping' I could map the faders, knobs and buttons to whatever parameters I need to Reason, but those toggle buttons on MidiMix just do not light up, does anyone know how to fix this?

• Information