Global scale device

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
visheshl

05 Dec 2022

So this whole scales business in every player device complicates things a lot man.
Every player has scale settings
Also since i use RRP inside Ableton, even Ableton has its own scale settings in its sequencer etc.
This complicates it even further.
I was wondering if there could be a scales section of the scales and chords plugin as a global device.
And all other players have this button called 'use global scale'
Which you can obviously switch off if you want to use the device's in built scale feature.

However a global scale device would be nice.
For example i use the note sequencer rilight?
Now i don't want it to use it's in built scale, however if a global scale device was there both for standalone and RRP,
The note sequencer could only show the notes of the global scale in the note sequencer window.

Or similarly for other player devices.
I'm just saying it's getting really complicated with all players having their own scale settings.

In fact with global scale device, you could change the scale or even automate scale changes and all the pattern devices would adhere to it.

I'm just saying it would be better this way...

Or we could have a global device slot in which we could insert any scales device like scales and chords, scale matrix or whatever you want to use as a global scale device.

Ansar

06 Dec 2022

A global scale device is a device that can be used to measure or track something on a global scale. For example, a global scale device could be used to measure or track the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere, the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, or the amount of sunlight that reaches the Earth's surface.

DaveyG

06 Dec 2022

visheshl wrote:
05 Dec 2022
So this whole scales business in every player device complicates things a lot man.
Also since i use RRP inside Ableton, even Ableton has its own scale settings in its sequencer etc.
I was wondering if there could be a scales section of the scales and chords plugin as a global device.
Which you can obviously switch off if you want to use the device's in built scale feature.

Now i don't want it to use it's in built scale, however if a global scale device was there both for standalone and RRP,
The note sequencer could only show the notes of the global scale in the note sequencer window.

I'm just saying it's getting really complicated with all players having their own scale settings.

In fact with global scale device, you could change the scale or even automate scale changes and all the pattern devices would adhere to it.

Or we could have a global device slot in which we could insert any scales device like scales and chords, scale matrix or whatever you want to use as a global scale device.
Yep, and I think it would be pretty easy for RS to add such a feature for all the RS player devices - a button on each player to make them all sync with the master one (probably the first one in the rack). Or there could be a chord/scale track or setting in the sequencer. Third party players might be a different challenge though.

Scaler 2 has just added a sync mode where all the instances of the VST can be synchronised so any chord edits in one are automatically reflected across the others. Another tool in the toolbox.

Yonatan

06 Dec 2022

Yes to that. 👍

visheshl

06 Dec 2022

So i was using scales and chords to setup a scale and then i was using polystep after that, and i happened to reset polystep, and some notes from my midi track i was sending RRP stopped altogether, polystep had resetted to use c minor by default...so i changed the scale on it to the proper one. However i wanted to use a custom scale with scales and chords or scale matrix etc, and polystep would still filter out notes according to its own inbuilt scale engine.
One way is to use chromatic setting on polystep.
But then if i use randomise function, it generates random notes in the sequence which are off key.

This is just one of the things which use global scale button on players would solve.

visheshl

06 Dec 2022

DaveyG wrote:
06 Dec 2022
visheshl wrote:
05 Dec 2022

Yep, and I think it would be pretty easy for RS to add such a feature for all the RS player devices - a button on each player to make them all sync with the master one (probably the first one in the rack). Or there could be a chord/scale track or setting in the sequencer. Third party players might be a different challenge though.

Scaler 2 has just added a sync mode where all the instances of the VST can be synchronised so any chord edits in one are automatically reflected across the others. Another tool in the toolbox.
I think it could be a scales and chords device(without the chords section) by default at the top of the rack or the bottom of the main reason hardware interface. Both in standalone and RRP racks.
It could also create a sequencer track by default in standalone so you could automate scale changes in your song.

And reason could include 'use global scale' button on their own players and tell RE Dev's to use that button as a best practices thing if their Player RE uses scales.

jam-s

06 Dec 2022

I think implementing it as a scale/chords track would be the best option. Then players would only need the option to select "follow scale/chords track".

challism

06 Dec 2022

I would love to see this feature be added to Reason. Having an on/off switch each MIDI track in the sequencer, as well as a slave on/off switch on all other player devices would be idea. I'm not that well versed in other DAWs but I think many of the other major DAWs already have this functionality and Reason is behind the curve. This would guess this be a fairly simple implementation to bring them up to speed with the rest of the market (at least in this aspect).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

visheshl

06 Dec 2022

Well i think it should be fairly simple to implement a global scale device.
After all what is a scale, it's just a note filter, you select certain notes of the octave to include in the composition and ignore the others.
Thats about it.
The tricky part is to have a system for player REs to automatically use the scale on the global device, developers may need to republish their REs with this change...if it were to be implemented by RS.

Personally i would like this global device to be exactly like the scales section of the RS scales and chords device, however I'd like it to have multiple instances of this in one device and only one of those instances can be active at one time...very similar to how scale matrix works.

So let's say you have three scales already setup in this device, one is the base scale, the third is the scale that the song will shift to, and the second one is a transition scale.
Now you can automate the change over let's say 4 bars and your song moves from one key to another seamlessly.

Fusion

11 Dec 2022

I think this is the same as what I requested viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7525933

• Information