Softube Amp Room anybody?

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

Anybody use it? It's pretty damn cheap just now. It could be GAS bubbling up inside me. I've got all the Kuassa (obviously) and also Amplitube which, to be honest, I'm not particularly impressed with.

Edit: Tried it. Don't like it. All good. Nothing to see here.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

I use Softube's amp room and really like it. The cab IRs are actually really good. I ended up buying just about every add on for amp room. They all randomly go on sale for really cheap prices.

I'd recommend trialing it first. The only downside is it can be CPU intensive. Easiest way around that is to bounce to track as soon as you're happy with the tones.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

strangers wrote:
24 Nov 2022
I use Softube's amp room and really like it. The cab IRs are actually really good. I ended up buying just about every add on for amp room. They all randomly go on sale for really cheap prices.

I'd recommend trialing it first. The only downside is it can be CPU intensive. Easiest way around that is to bounce to track as soon as you're happy with the tones.
Yeah...I just tried it but it didn't give me anything new. It's like €40 just now but I decided to save that and put it towards a Tonebender mk1.5 Pedal :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

24 Nov 2022

didn’t Softube do the amp sims in Reason too? those are kinda terrible—and I think they also did the ones in Ableton, which are also underwhelming. I’d be distrustful of Softube with amp sims at this point. too many other fantastic options out there these days.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2022
didn’t Softube do the amp sims in Reason too? those are kinda terrible—and I think they also did the ones in Ableton, which are also underwhelming. I’d be distrustful of Softube with amp sims at this point. too many other fantastic options out there these days.
Sound advice. Agree.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

chimp_spanner

24 Nov 2022

I like Amproom! Definitely wasn't impressed with the built in Reason or Live amps, but Amproom has that oldschool POD Farm vibe where you just choose from virtual gear, where some plugins (specifically Neural DSP) seem to be going more towards the self-contained product thing like, well this amp has these specific stomps, but you can't use them with another amp. At least not in the same plugin. If Neural released a big virtual pedalboard/guitar rig style interface that'd slap pretty hard. I'm just very dialled in with the Neural sound atm because it's in a lot of my projects. When time allows I'll set up some tones in Amp Room also. It's great on CPU vs Neural too.

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2022
The Softube RE amp sims are hot garbage. The REs are totally different than what you get with Amp Room. I wouldn't have invested any money into Amp Room if it was anything like the REs. I believe I saw an email this morning that Softube just released an update with a couple more pedals.

Softube's speaker shaker is also really good. I often use that with Amp Room if I don't feel like scrolling through the cabs or my endless list of IRs.

I also really like running synths through amp room. The modular approach works nicely with the Reason environment.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

strangers wrote:
24 Nov 2022
guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2022
The Softube RE amp sims are hot garbage. The REs are totally different than what you get with Amp Room. I wouldn't have invested any money into Amp Room if it was anything like the REs. I believe I saw an email this morning that Softube just released an update with a couple more pedals.

Softube's speaker shaker is also really good. I often use that with Amp Room if I don't feel like scrolling through the cabs or my endless list of IRs.

I also really like running synths through amp room. The modular approach works nicely with the Reason environment.
Hmm. Just seems limited compared to the models in AmpliTube. I’ve moved almost completely back to Kuassa. Audio Assault’s amp thing is great though. Especially on acoustic guitar and it’s cheap as chips just now. Don’t like the Melda one.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2022
Hmm. Just seems limited compared to the models in AmpliTube. I’ve moved almost completely back to Kuassa. Audio Assault’s amp thing is great though. Especially on acoustic guitar and it’s cheap as chips just now. Don’t like the Melda one.
It is fairly limited compared to other offerings. The limited amp options work in my favor though. I'd rather have a smaller set of focused amps rather than a larger set of generic/vanilla amps. It lets me dial in what I need rather than sift through a bunch of stuff I'll never actually use.

The Softube amp models are surprisingly accurate to each amp. Even the EQs work similar to how the actual amps do. Some of that doesn't work in Softube's corner because I'd imagine most people haven't played these physical amps before and wonder why some of the EQ'ing isn't always your simple +/-.

The other thing I like about them is they're more along the lines of what you get from micing an amp as opposed to slapping an amp sim VST that covers the amp, cab and built in post processing.

MuttReason

24 Nov 2022

I’ve used the Softube Amp Room bass amp, didn’t work for me. Sounded OK but not stellar. Not that close to the real deal and quite a long way off something like Helix Native (my fave native plugin VST for bass amp duties) let alone the UAD plugins I use when tracking.

Jackjackdaw

24 Nov 2022

I trialled it once and hated the interface. I was all set to buy some Kuassa stuff but I couldn’t decide if I wanted Re or VST then I got a deal on Neural Archetype: Plini and it’s really good. All the amp sim I need really.

DaveyG

24 Nov 2022

I automatically ignore any software by Softube because they think it's OK to charge £449 for an RE.
Amplitube gives me more stuff than I'll ever need.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

DaveyG wrote:
24 Nov 2022
I automatically ignore any software by Softube because they think it's OK to charge £449 for an RE.
Amplitube gives me more stuff than I'll ever need.
I just find that all the AmpliTube amps break up too soon. Even at low gain.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

29 Nov 2022

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2022
The Reason amps are mediocre. But Softube Amp Room is impressive.

In this video below the guy compares Amp room to hardware and to my ears that's as close as it gets for any Amp simulator software. Stuff like Amplitube and Guitar Rig are not as convincing imho.

• Information