Scaler 2 is on sale

Discuss VST stuff here!
dvdrtldg

23 Nov 2022

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 9-Scaler-2

I picked this one up yesterday - was tossing up between it and Chord Sequencer, because they're around the same price right now.

Holy shit, it's great. Main drawback in Reason is that you can't just stick it on top of an instrument and use it like a player, you have to generate the notes & chords within Scaler and then drag them onto an instrument track in the sequencer (so it's not as immediately rack-friendly as Chord Sequencer)

But in every other respect it absolutely smokes CS, as a composition tool it's like comparing a Lamborghini to a VW Beetle. The Beetle is fun and the design is cute, but if you really want to get where you're going with maximum speed, power & sophistication then the choice is obvious

Just mentioning this in case any of you are considering Chord Sequencer but wary of its limitations

Yonatan

24 Nov 2022

Thanks. Will look into it. I will get CS sooner or later biut with no reward voucher and paying €50 just dont feel enough rewarding.

dvdrtldg

24 Nov 2022

After a few hours' use I can see that it makes a huge number of other scale/chord players in Reason pretty redundant. And there's something about the architecture of the thing that makes it a really good teacher of music theory as well

When/if Reason implements internal MIDI out, it'll be the only thing you need

moneykube

26 Nov 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
24 Nov 2022
After a few hours' use I can see that it makes a huge number of other scale/chord players in Reason pretty redundant. And there's something about the architecture of the thing that makes it a really good teacher of music theory as well

When/if Reason implements internal MIDI out, it'll be the only thing you need
I love this plug in for the drop on midi and audio option, and the MANY features... Thanks for pointed it out... Now I have the Chord Sequencer rack > AND this plugin which seems to have endless possibilities. It is very good for learning music theory. I learned some theory just noodling with it after purchase. Got the cherry audio CA2600 Synthesizer as the extra plug... It seems pretty good as well.
(Note) this has been edited , since my confusion over currency conversion issues was not as drastic as it seemed... I think PayPal added a couple bucks and change. Not sure why I thought the price was 32 dollars, instead of the 39 price tag that it has on it...
Was up late and my brain was asleep I guess.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

tallguy

27 Nov 2022

Thanks for the heads up. Tried it and it looks amazing. Very deep and yet easy to understand what's going on

Mistro17

29 Nov 2022

If I already have Chord Sequencer and know the basics of music theory, is looking into getting Scaler 2 a matter of GAS? I'm curious about this one like what features it have over Chord Sequencer but my wallet already took a beating the past week.

DaveyG

29 Nov 2022

Mistro17 wrote:
29 Nov 2022
If I already have Chord Sequencer and know the basics of music theory, is looking into getting Scaler 2 a matter of GAS? I'm curious about this one like what features it have over Chord Sequencer but my wallet already took a beating the past week.
Chord Sequencer does about 10% of what Scaler 2 does, but it does it well and with the convenience of a Player device.
Scaler 2 is a VST which has some decent built-in sounds but is best used with a DAW that allows you to connect it to other instruments (that's almost any other DAW!) You can still drag and drop MIDI from Scaler into Reason but it's not as convenient as having it play a Reason instrument directly.

Here is a 3 minute vid about it:

They have added loads more stuff since that video

What Scaler does better than anything else is the way it can listen to any combination of notes and chords and offer you a list of scales and modes that best fit those notes. From there you can arrange other chords in the scale (or related chords) and then turn them into phrases, bass lines etc. It's a really fast way to get from some keyboard noodling to a song arrangement. I think there is a trial version at Plugin Boutique.

• Information