Cherry Audio - GX-80

Discuss VST stuff here!
Despondo
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

hmm can't help but think this was a bad time to launch this, what with the Arturia V collection which includes a CS-80 is available for as little as $149.

Heater

23 Nov 2022

Steedus wrote:
22 Nov 2022
hmm can't help but think this was a bad time to launch this, what with the Arturia V collection which includes a CS-80 is available for as little as $149.
Which is what I just picked up. I've got no reason to get this now. It does look good though.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2022

Heater wrote:
23 Nov 2022
Steedus wrote:
22 Nov 2022
Which is what I just picked up. I've got no reason to get this now. It does look good though.
Forget it. You’ve got a load of synths. Don’t bother. Sounds almost the same if not exactly the same.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

voiceprint1

23 Nov 2022

I just demo'd it, and it's much nicer in my opinion than the Arturia CS-80 version, the sounds are dialed exactly like Vangelis, and the effects are very good. I am sure you can tweak the Arturia to get what you want from it, but the GX-80 is very capable and has a ton more useful presets.

StephenHutchinson

23 Nov 2022

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the GX-80 a combination of both the GX-1 and CS-80, and sports 1,000 presets... I don't know if this is easily comparable to Arturia's "CS-80 V3" which I have and quite like. I'm probably going to pick this one up as I have pretty much their entire collection of synths at this point and I'm liking the idea of this one being a hybrid.

As per the Cherry Audio YouTube write up:

"GX-80 is not just another CS-80 emulation. GX-80 adapts the legendary GX-1's massive dual-layers, additional waveforms, and unique filters, making it the equivalent of two CS-80s and then some! When enhanced with GX-80's discrete layer volume and panning controls, the result is a colossal dual-layer voicing architecture with 16 polyphonic voices per layer, capable of sounding two different CS-80 style sounds simultaneously in a split or stacked layer mode.

To provide the ultimate expressive performance, GX-80 includes a split keyboard mode and support for both polyphonic and monophonic aftertouch controllers. Further, Cherry Audio has added an innovative "last-note priority" mode for simulated poly aftertouch response with a monophonic channel aftertouch controller.

With its dual-layer interface, over 1,000 stunning presets from expert sound designers, and integrated studio-quality effects, GX-80 is a singular effort worthy of the "flagship" label."
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

voiceprint1

24 Nov 2022

I have used the CS-80 for a while (3+ years) and the GX-80 to my ear seems more ready to use out of the box, I found the Arturia version very good, perhaps it's not as drenched in effects, so might sound drier.

Galahad

23 Dec 2022

I'm not a connoisseur of the CS-80, just a bit of a Blade Runner fanboi but I've had a very decently sounding representation of it via the Memorymoon emulation and it's a pretty good price at $40, Eur37.6, £33.16 http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm

• Information