Moog - Moogerfooger - VST3

Discuss VST stuff here!
Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2022

New plugins from Moog!

Hoping VST3 support comes to Reason soon....

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/moog ... s-plug-ins

PhillipOrdonez

20 Oct 2022

Wait, do they do what I wish the RRP did? CV communication between instances????

petecampbell

20 Oct 2022

migrating to another daw is more and more likely with all these good plugins coming out in VST3 only

MuttReason

20 Oct 2022

Love the Moogerfooger pedal and plugin version would be awesome but…. iLok copy protection. Hard pass. Loathe iLok, like putting malware on your computer. Too many bad experiences.

Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2022

MuttReason wrote:
20 Oct 2022
but…. iLok copy protection. Hard pass. Loathe iLok, like putting malware on your computer. Too many bad experiences.
That's interesting. I've been using iLok for several years now, and no complaints or issues. What was your bad experience if you don't mind me asking?

Jackjackdaw

21 Oct 2022

I often hear people complaining about iLok. I understand the license transfer fee is a drag but in my experience using a few iLok plugins I have had zero issues.

Jackjackdaw

21 Oct 2022

petecampbell wrote:
20 Oct 2022
migrating to another daw is more and more likely with all these good plugins coming out in VST3 only
Steinberg have stopped issuing vst2 licenses . Any new plug-in that gets released will only be vst3 from now on.

MuttReason

21 Oct 2022

Despondo wrote:
20 Oct 2022
MuttReason wrote:
20 Oct 2022
but…. iLok copy protection. Hard pass. Loathe iLok, like putting malware on your computer. Too many bad experiences.
That's interesting. I've been using iLok for several years now, and no complaints or issues. What was your bad experience if you don't mind me asking?
I had a failed iLok install (don’t know why it failed, the installation process just locked up and went to the old spinning beachball). This was on Mac, can’t remember which OS but was only about 3 years ago. Had to do Force Quit to exit. From then on… total PITA. I could not install iLok (every install failed) but it left enough files on the system from the failed installation attempt that I had error box pop ups every time I booted up (can’t remember what they said but it was seriously annoying) and I couldn’t uninstall either. Logged several tickets with iLok customer support who were wholly useless, either radio silence for many days on end or provided risibly basic and uninformed advice (never really got past “have you rebooted?” level). Upshot was I had to wipe the whole hard disk and do clean reinstall of OS. During all of this I went online and found out I was far from alone. Ever since then… never again. The problem seems to be that iLok leaves a bunch of files scattered in hidden places so if the installation/uninstallation process is anything other than 100% reliable the outcome can be very messy.

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2022

Despondo wrote:
20 Oct 2022
MuttReason wrote:
20 Oct 2022
Same here, iLoc user/hater for around 20 years now, lots of ‘fear’ but literally not one problem ever - though to be fair I also haven't run much iLoc software for the past few years until recently.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2022

ALSO - Model D Mini Moog is now also an (awesome) VST3, and is included when you purchase the app. Sweet! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

21 Oct 2022

Despondo wrote:
20 Oct 2022
MuttReason wrote:
20 Oct 2022
I was hit by this iLok bug once:
* https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index. ... 39002.html
* same bug: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411117

It was real bad.

crimsonwarlock

21 Oct 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Steinberg have stopped issuing vst2 licenses.
Correct.
Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Any new plug-in that gets released will only be vst3 from now on.
Not correct. Any plugin by a NEW dev will be VST3 because they won't get a VST2 license. Any existing dev with a VST2 license can still develop new plugins and release them as VST2. There are, in fact, many devs that are doing so. The majority of new plugins from existing devs are both VST2 and VST3.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DJMaytag

26 Oct 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Steinberg have stopped issuing vst2 licenses . Any new plug-in that gets released will only be vst3 from now on.
Neither is true. The access to the VST2.x SDK is what had been revoked moving forward, so the only people who can release VST2 are those who had signed onto the VST2.x agreement many years ago. If you’re a new developer? You’ve signed on to the VST3 SDK after the cutoff date to VST2.X SDK, then you only have access to be able to produce VST3’s.

Faastwalker

27 Oct 2022

More VST3 goodness we can't use yet :( One day :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

28 Oct 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
26 Oct 2022
Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Neither is true. The access to the VST2.x SDK is what had been revoked moving forward, so the only people who can release VST2 are those who had signed onto the VST2.x agreement many years ago. If you’re a new developer? You’ve signed on to the VST3 SDK after the cutoff date to VST2.X SDK, then you only have access to be able to produce VST3’s.
Just to clarify, are they issuing VST2 licenses to new devs or not? Are they issuing VST2 licenses to existing devs?
I guess I’m not clear what a “license” is in this context - is it global per dev or do you need a new license for each new device you release?
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

29 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
28 Oct 2022
Just to clarify, are they issuing VST2 licenses to new devs or not? Are they issuing VST2 licenses to existing devs?
I guess I’m not clear what a “license” is in this context - is it global per dev or do you need a new license for each new device you release?
I believe it is global. If you have signed the agreement before whatever the date was, and have access to the SDK, you are allowed to continue releasing VST2.X plugins, new and old.

Someone like Robotic Bean signed on after the cutoff date, so they have no access to the old SDK, and thus are ONLY allowed to release VST3 plugins.

I am not a dev, but have read a bit about it and it’s come up in beta testing for some VST’s. One dev I test for didn’t want to make a VST3 because there’s no benefit to the VST3 version.

DaveyG

29 Oct 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
29 Oct 2022
One dev I test for didn’t want to make a VST3 because there’s no benefit to the VST3 version.
Except that, within the next 18 months or so, Steinberg applications (Cubase, Nuendo, Dorico, Wavelab) will not support any VST2 plugins at all. I think that decision might backfire on them but it is their current (bold) plan.

Linkies:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... 9561018258
https://www.gearnews.com/steinberg-disc ... 2-plug-ins

DJMaytag

29 Oct 2022

DaveyG wrote:
29 Oct 2022
DJMaytag wrote:
29 Oct 2022
One dev I test for didn’t want to make a VST3 because there’s no benefit to the VST3 version.
Except that, within the next 18 months or so, Steinberg applications (Cubase, Nuendo, Dorico, Wavelab) will not support any VST2 plugins at all. I think that decision might backfire on them but it is their current (bold) plan.

Linkies:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... 9561018258
https://www.gearnews.com/steinberg-disc ... 2-plug-ins
Like I said earlier, this is suicide for a lot of DAW developers, and this could have some major problems for Steinberg. This might push a lot of people towards Ableton, and it would have been the end of my Cubase usage ( I totally bailed on Cubase after Reason 9.5 was released, nearly switching to Ableton the week R9.5 was announced). The biggest issue is that it's obsoleting old projects with VST2.x, so you're going to see a LOT of people not make the upgrades to future versions of Cubase and maybe Wavelab. I'm not sure about how much of a problem this will be for Nuendo & Dorico.

CLAP is another thing that's going to have an effect on this VST3 migration. The more DAW's that implement CLAP, the less Steinberg has a stranglehold on the development of plugins in general.

Faastwalker

23 Nov 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Oct 2022
More VST3 goodness we can't use yet :( One day :thumbup:
........ maybe sooner than I was thinking :clap:

• Information