Soundpaint 2.0 with new Hyper Acoustic Legato (HAL) Technology

Discuss VST stuff here!
Bluescat

19 Nov 2022

Since I owned 8DIO Studio Tenor Sax, they sent me a coupon for the Soundpaint 2.0 Legato version for $15, so I went ahead and got it. Soundpaint libraries are enormous- this one is 16G and the original 8DIO version was only 2.5 (MANY articulations and performance arcs, etc). This is only the second instrument I have purchased for SP- I also have the free piano and choral giveaways. The Legato Tenor does sound very good to me, just noodling on the keyboard. I actually have an EWI but don't dig it out too often. Soundpaint still had no manual, so you are on your own to fiddle with the UI. It is fairly intuitive, and there are some YouTube tutorials. You could (I assume) use the CC bite and breath from the EWI to assign to Soundpaint parameters, including sample crossfade (patches can use four sample sources). Not something I am interested in pursuing, since my EWI chops are no better than on the black & whites. I would think they might come out with another free library of some sort to showcase the Legato.

joeyluck

19 Nov 2022

Yeah these prices are fantastic even without a coupon. And they are seem to be offering 15% off first purchases.

I'm curious what the system requirements are for these, such as RAM. I didn't see that mentioned.

Yonatan

20 Nov 2022

15 gb Saxophone. How does that affect a 16gb ram laptop? €30 is cheap but is it usable in a production?

Looked at audio modeling Swam physical modeling. There is the opposite, very little memory required, but the cpu load seems to be the issie with such alternative, and the price is high too.

Two different worlds.

jam-s

20 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
20 Nov 2022
15 gb Saxophone. How does that affect a 16gb ram laptop? €30 is cheap but is it usable in a production?
Those huge sample libraries usually use disc streaming for their sample data. Thus not the complete set of sounds has to be loaded into RAM when using them. Of course your disc has to be quick enough to deliver the sample data in time which could become the bottleneck in case you have many of those running in parallel.
Now if Reason had proper track freeze this would be a non-issue, but with bounce to track it should at least reduce some of the load.

Bluescat

20 Nov 2022

The Tenor Sax library does have something like 70 articulations, and since SoundPaint can only load four at the same time, the RAM use is not that high. In my limited play time with the Tenor Sax library (the Soundpaint library name is "1980 Spectralius Tenor Sax", the RAM usage shown on the SoundPaint 2 UI is about 1 gig for a single legato patch. That covers the whole keyrange. The Legato are the largest patches, so for a single instance of SP using four legato patches, say- close mic, room mic, plus vibrato versions of those two mics, shows about 3.6 gig of RAM in use.

cyberboycoolen

20 Nov 2022

I really like the sax library :) I was just wondering if anyone have figured out how to switch articulations? Do we need to load up separate instances of the plugin? (as there are no keyswitches).

Bluescat

20 Nov 2022

I am a very infrequent user of Soundpaint, but I don't think there is any way to do sample switching (a la Kontakt, etc) outside of the four slots per instance. They do have a free sample import utility with a help file available on their site, but I have not looked at it at all.

Yonatan

21 Nov 2022

So you who tested this sampling technique, what are the pro and cons of this affordable instruments?

Been on the search for decent brass/horn sections, for ordinary pop music. Been eying Session Horns that is available to Kontakt player.
My main interest is to arrange horns for tracks, but I would ultimately want some kind of more intuitive player type like ujam sort of fashion. Session horns has some animated phrases section, is that helpful?
For me it helps to get quick results but then fine tweak or edit afterwards. I easily get too bored if having to be in edit mindset from start, you know choosing one instrument, playing a line, adjust, then choosing another horn and so on. It gets there but I tend to get stuck when having to get out of the creative flow from the beginning. Later I can get into edit mindset.

Know of anything that I should check out?

joeyluck

21 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
21 Nov 2022
So you who tested this sampling technique, what are the pro and cons of this affordable instruments?

Been on the search for decent brass/horn sections, for ordinary pop music. Been eying Session Horns that is available to Kontakt player.
My main interest is to arrange horns for tracks, but I would ultimately want some kind of more intuitive player type like ujam sort of fashion. Session horns has some animated phrases section, is that helpful?
For me it helps to get quick results but then fine tweak or edit afterwards. I easily get too bored if having to be in edit mindset from start, you know choosing one instrument, playing a line, adjust, then choosing another horn and so on. It gets there but I tend to get stuck when having to get out of the creative flow from the beginning. Later I can get into edit mindset.

Sonuscore's The Orchestra is fantastic. It sounds awesome and it's so much fun to play. It's great for writing with a quick workflow and has MIDI export. And you have full control to create your own animations and play the instruments individually. I have The Orchestra Complete 2.

The Orchestra line will go on sale soon (they do their sales in stages, currently on stage 2). They also introduced The Orchestra Essentials recently which is a more affordable option and they have upgrade paths. I had started with the regular version of The Orchestra, then upgraded to Complete then Complete 2.

https://sonuscore.com/black-november-sale-2022/

https://sonuscore.com/product-category/to-engine/

Yonatan

22 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
21 Nov 2022
Yonatan wrote:
21 Nov 2022

Sonuscore's The Orchestra is fantastic. It sounds awesome and it's so much fun to play. It's great for writing with a quick workflow and has MIDI export. And you have full control to create your own animations and play the instruments individually. I have The Orchestra Complete 2.

The Orchestra line will go on sale soon (they do their sales in stages, currently on stage 2). They also introduced The Orchestra Essentials recently which is a more affordable option and they have upgrade paths. I had started with the regular version of The Orchestra, then upgraded to Complete then Complete 2.

Thanks Joey! You often seem to have good knowledge about quality stuff out there. Not heard about that library. Will check it out.

Yonatan

22 Nov 2022

Soundpaint just added Soprano sax Moonlight. So seems it will get a whole family of instruments. 21 gb! Well, might wait until upgrade of computer.

Mistro17

23 Nov 2022

I grabbed Soundpaint a year ago I think (maybe more) and they are good people. Some nice freebies. Their libraries are very reasonably priced. But I had to see this thread right after I just ordered SWAM Saxophones and a TEControl 2 (breath Controller with bite and head inclination sensor). BTW I read that SWAM is not 100% modeled but a hybrid of modeled and sampling.

Gonna check this new feature out.

joeyluck

23 Nov 2022

Mistro17 wrote:
23 Nov 2022
I grabbed Soundpaint a year ago I think (maybe more) and they are good people. Some nice freebies. Their libraries are very reasonably priced. But I had to see this thread right after I just ordered SWAM Saxophones and a TEControl 2 (breath Controller with bite and head inclination sensor). BTW I read that SWAM is not 100% modeled but a hybrid of modeled and sampling.

Yes, SWAM-B and SWAM-W do (brass and woodwinds), but SWAM-S used for strings is 100% modeled. And even the ones that incorporate samples, it is pretty minimal, (the plugins are still around 100MB).

Yonatan

24 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
23 Nov 2022
Mistro17 wrote:
23 Nov 2022

Yes, SWAM-B and SWAM-W do (brass and woodwinds), but SWAM-S used for strings is 100% modeled. And even the ones that incorporate samples, it is pretty minimal, (the plugins are still around 100MB).
But they are cpu hungry as a downsiide or?
At least it sounds like you merely work woith one instrument at a time. How handy are these when recording in ones DAW in a production.
If not having latest laptop or mac studio, is the workflow to always keep bounce to track style?

Wish Reason had a freeze function.

Yonatan

24 Nov 2022

I am really interested in swam products but cant really deciide yet now when these HAL shows up. Need to wait a bit to see what more are added.

joeyluck

24 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
24 Nov 2022
joeyluck wrote:
23 Nov 2022

But they are cpu hungry as a downsiide or?
At least it sounds like you merely work woith one instrument at a time. How handy are these when recording in ones DAW in a production.
If not having latest laptop or mac studio, is the workflow to always keep bounce to track style?

Wish Reason had a freeze function.
I've never had an issue. Yes, they typically use a little more CPU than a sample library, but they aren't what I would consider as CPU hungry. I don't notice. I'm on a late 2015 MacBook Air. You can request a demo from them by sending an email to support.

joeyluck

24 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
22 Nov 2022
joeyluck wrote:
21 Nov 2022

Thanks Joey! You often seem to have good knowledge about quality stuff out there. Not heard about that library. Will check it out.
Just a heads up that they are on sale now: https://sonuscore.com/product-category/to-engine/

QVprod

25 Nov 2022

Glad this was posted. This is phenomenal sampling. Just downloaded the free player and the piano.... Chef's kiss! The lack of guidance is easy to ignore when you don't need to tweak that much to begin with.

• Information