Pan Knob Is Controlling Volume

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kiel

22 Nov 2022

Hello, i'm using reason 7 I have parallel tracks that i'm trying to pan but the pan knob is controlling the volume. When I turn the knob all the way to the right the sounds drops out, when I turn it all the way to the left it gets louder. Whats wrong and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance.

Kiel

22 Nov 2022

I figured out what the issue was. If you have any wires connected to the insert fx in/out plugs (have inserts on the bus channel) then you can’t pan individual channel strips connected to that bus. You can only pan the bus channel itself. Which stifles creativity. So I put my inserts on the individual channel strips and removed the inserts from off the bus and now I can pan anything anyway I want.

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

That doesn't sound correct. You should be able to pan anything. I was thinking that it was either a routing issue (where the sound was in mono), or perhaps there was some phase inversion/cancellation going on.

Anyway, glad to hear it has sorted itself out.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

22 Nov 2022

I agree that doesn’t sound right, I do that all the time with drums into busses, but there is not enough information here to know what’s going on. What devices were in the inserts, how were they routed, why are you panning the parallel channel (to what effect)?
Selig Audio, LLC

Kiel

22 Nov 2022

deeplink wrote:
22 Nov 2022
That doesn't sound correct. You should be able to pan anything. I was thinking that it was either a routing issue (where the sound was in mono), or perhaps there was some phase inversion/cancellation going on.

Anyway, glad to hear it has sorted itself out.
If that were the issue how would that be fixed?

Kiel

22 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
22 Nov 2022
I agree that doesn’t sound right, I do that all the time with drums into busses, but there is not enough information here to know what’s going on. What devices were in the inserts, how were they routed, why are you panning the parallel channel (to what effect)?
It's a series of inserts I put together to work as a vocal processing chain. I saved it as a patch, I put it on an audio track and record through it.

Noise gate
Mclass Equalizer
Mclass Compressor
Compressor
De-Esser

How i've routed it is the audio track's (or bus') insert fx out to the noise gate, gate to equalizer > comp > 2nd comp > de-esser back to audio track's fx in. Audio track is outputted to either a bus or the master section, if it's a bus it's outputted to the master section.

I was panning the parallel channel simply because it was the hook and I was trying to make something cool.

Aquila

23 Nov 2022

Sounds like you only had audio in the left channel which had somehow been summed to mono so you may not have noticed unless you looked closely at the mixer meter.

• Information