Reasons search functionality

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deigm

20 Nov 2022

I'm wondering if this behavior is typical in reasons browser search, or if something's off.

I have a folder where I keep my ever-growing sample library of drum kits and one-shots, etc.
If I navigate to that folder in reasons browser and search for 'bass' for example, nothing happens.
There are no animations to indicate a search was conducted, so I wait, wondering if it's searching, but nothing shows up.
So seemingly, there are no search results.
However, if I open that same folder manually there are many files and folders with 'bass' in the file name.

Why weren't these files discovered in the search?
Is something going on here or does the search function not work that way I'm expecting it to?

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2022

I'm not sure if RS indexes your entire hard drive.

But it will definitely index any folder (and it's suborders) which you have dragged into the Reason browser - aka its "locations"

So if that folder is in your locations but still results are still not showing up, then there appears to be some other issue
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Heigen5

20 Nov 2022

Like deeplink stated, the folder probably needs to be dragged into the 'locations'. Even though it's weird that you went into the folder, did search and didn't find any.
But yeah, it is a good thing that nothing else gets indexed, than the Refills and folders inside the locations, - as otherwise we'd get all the music and other stuff indexed too, and that's not what we want.

deigm

20 Nov 2022

The folder is sitting in the browser shortcut list. Is that what you mean by locations?

I've played with this a bit more since posting. It seems search doesn't function at all.

In reasons drum supply folder there is a snare sound wav in drum supply>2. Snare Drums> SD_505_shoot.wav
If I navigate to the Drum Supply folder and search for 'SD_505', nothing happens.

If I navigate to Orkester Sounds and search for 'harp' nothing happens, even though there is clearly a harp folder inside with files named harp in it.

Shouldn't these folders be indexed?
How do I index them? Or other folders?

The only search function that does seem to work is the Instruments and Effects folders, that does seem to pull up the devices I'm looking for.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Nov 2022

I had the same issue after the last update. No patches or samples were appearing on searches. Contacted support, they suggested trying the following, which fixed it for me:

"...Try delete the " _ReasonIndex_v5.dat" file, then restart Reason. Now, are you then getting any hits when searching?

The index file is located here:
%localappdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2022

It depends on what you’re searching for! By default it’s instruments, so if you’re in a folder with no instruments it shows nothing. If you ask me, it should show all files that are not available as light grey, to avoid this very issue.
But if you are in a sampler and click on the SAMPLE BROWSE button (Or choose “Import Audio”) and navigate to the same folder you should see the audio files. Not ideal, but workable.

What happens to me is I start the search and find the folder I want, then realize I forgot to search for audio and then of course it won’t remember the folder I JUST FOUND and I have to navigate all over again. Should be simpler, just show all the files in the folder and visually let us know which ones are not able to be loaded in the current device (see above).

Anyway, rant over – hope this helps!
Selig Audio, LLC

deigm

20 Nov 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Nov 2022
I had the same issue after the last update. No patches or samples were appearing on searches. Contacted support, they suggested trying the following, which fixed it for me:

"...Try delete the " _ReasonIndex_v5.dat" file, then restart Reason. Now, are you then getting any hits when searching?

The index file is located here:
%localappdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason
This did it!

I deleted _ReasonIndex_v5.dat as you described and the search function now works as expected.

Thank you!! :clap:

PhillipOrdonez

20 Nov 2022

🙌👍 thanks to Reason studios support for the fix! 🍻

• Information