Latest Roadmap (June 3 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Neo

06 Sep 2022

does this mean i can use StudioRack as a free VST3 Bridge in reason to load vst3 plugins?

^good question..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

dan_g

06 Sep 2022

Neo wrote:
06 Sep 2022
does this mean i can use StudioRack as a free VST3 Bridge in reason to load vst3 plugins?

^good question..
i will try this evening when i have some time on my hands
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Neo

06 Sep 2022

dan_g :thumbs_up:

MuttReason

06 Sep 2022

selig wrote:
06 Sep 2022
MuttReason wrote:
05 Sep 2022
That’s an interesting comparison, thanks. But I think the key date here is not when VST3 was released, it was when VST2 became an unsupported legacy product and the world moved on. Ableton were pretty good in that sense, and RS seem behind the curve on that one.
What’s more interesting to me is why did RS not just go directly to VST3 instead of implementing an already (according to what I’m reading here) nearly deprecated format?
My guess would be because VST3 had something more difficult to implement than VST2, which must have been more straightforward enough to make it logical to get VST2 right away and worry about VST3 later?
I’m not a software developer so may be making this up… but my v limited understanding of VST3 is that it was a big leap beyond VST2 with a lot more complexity under the hood. So maybe that’s why RS decided to push it down the to-do list… just too much to take on in addition to the grind involved in getting R12 out then, um, fixing R12 when it was clear that it wasn’t ready for prime time. Same thing with M1.

I need to keep reminding myself that RS are an absolutely *tiny* business compared with others in the industry. You could fit the entire company workforce inside a single decker bus. They have fewer employees than a small local high school and lower profits than a local pizza restaurant chain. There is only so much a small business can do at any one time.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2022

RS may also have to update the RE SDK if the current version of LLVM doesn't support M1.

Having a bleeding edge release strategy means that supporting a different version of LLVM can be involving.

This is something other DAWs didn't have to deal with.

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2022

m1rsn.JPG
m1rsn.JPG (131.75 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
:clap:

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2022

avasopht wrote:
06 Sep 2022
RS may also have to update the RE SDK if the current version of LLVM doesn't support M1.

Having a bleeding edge release strategy means that supporting a different version of LLVM can be involving.

This is something other DAWs didn't have to deal with.
:shock:

Steedus
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

I just got a survey from Reason about offline authorisation. Interestingly I got the impression from the questions that they are still deciding whether or not to allow it. I thought it was a sure thing.

motuscott

19 Sep 2022

Link on my survey request is not working
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

Steedus wrote:
19 Sep 2022
I just got a survey from Reason about offline authorisation. Interestingly I got the impression from the questions that they are still deciding whether or not to allow it. I thought it was a sure thing.
In pirate studio last week (where one Reason promo was filmed and recorded) had a little trouble because of online authorisation.

I resolved it but couldn't help thinking how much of a workflow issue it was.

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2022

Steedus wrote:
19 Sep 2022
I just came back here to check the progress on this.

DJMaytag

21 Oct 2022

MuttReason wrote:
04 Sep 2022
It’s just not tenable to leave M1 support and VST3 until some point, unspecified right now, later in 2023. I mean, I know RS/Props like to take the scenic route to every destination, but I struggle to think of ANY software I now use - not just music software - that hasn’t been updated with a native M1 version. And VST3 is now the de facto plugin standard alongside AU (and AAX) and has been for quite a while. This is not novel cutting edge tech. M1 is THE ONLY platform for every new Mac and VST3 is THE ONLY plugin format used by devs for new and updated plugins (alongside AU/AAX). Intel Mac and VST2 are both officially deprecated/legacy tech.
The SDK is what is unsupported, and any new developers sign up to use the VST3 SDK. If you signed up for the VST2.X SDK, you are free to continue creating and distributing VST2.X plugins, and there are still some that are holding out from releasing a VST3 version because there is no benefit to doing so for them.

VST2.X plugins will still be supported for a while longer, and it would be suicide for a DAW to drop support for VST2 right now.

Heater

21 Oct 2022

When are we going to get an update on the roadmap from the Props?

LittleBoy

31 Oct 2022

Maschine and Komplete Kontrol offer M1 and VST3 support starting today. Courage, Reason Studios, only you remain.

joeyluck

31 Oct 2022

Heater wrote:
21 Oct 2022
I would assume no update means that the latest roadmap update still applies.

VST3 — "we are expecting it to reach your hands end of year."

Apple Silicon — I'm guessing when VST3 is released, they might have a better ballpark for AS support to make an update to the roadmap then? But for now, we know they just checked another thing off the list in reference to that: "Reason M1 native support development will start off with threading optimisations we believe will affect performance and battery life positively for all platforms including non M1-macs."

Heater

31 Oct 2022

joeyluck wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Heater wrote:
21 Oct 2022
I would assume no update means that the latest roadmap update still applies.

VST3 — "we are expecting it to reach your hands end of year."

Apple Silicon — I'm guessing when VST3 is released, they might have a better ballpark for AS support to make an update to the roadmap then? But for now, we know they just checked another thing off the list in reference to that: "Reason M1 native support development will start off with threading optimisations we believe will affect performance and battery life positively for all platforms including non M1-macs."
Thanks Joeyluck.

kurtg

04 Nov 2022

Looking forward for AS native. From the moment there is a beta, I will join.

wereMole88

14 Nov 2022

Steedus wrote:
19 Sep 2022

That's what I thought - I got RS+ last year under the impression that offline authorisation would eventually come. That is a pretty big bummer and possible deal breaker for me.

Reason roadmap June 2022 suggests different:
Development of offline support for Reason+ has started

Reason+ continue growing quickly and is now the most popular way to use Reason 12. In fact, we expect Reason+ to be the most popular way to use Reason across all versions sometime later this year!

The top feature request for Reason+ is offline support to allow usage in off grid studios, on live venues, while travelling or any other place with limited internet access. We are constructing a completely new offline mode to ensure maximum availability of Reason in case of any type of network unavailability.

Reason 12 already has offline support, but our plan right now is to deliver the new solution as a free update to owners of Reason 12 as this is simpler and less intrusive than what we have today.

buddard
RE Developer

17 Nov 2022

wereMole88 wrote:
14 Nov 2022
That's what I thought - I got RS+ last year under the impression that offline authorisation would eventually come. That is a pretty big bummer and possible deal breaker for me.
It is coming for sure!

arqui

17 Nov 2022

Neo wrote:
06 Sep 2022

^good question..
Yes.. but.... only effects without sidechain.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Heater

17 Nov 2022

Latest roadmap was in June. Come on Props.

Neo

18 Nov 2022

All the updates have been appreciated.. Hope RS can deliver before Xmas at this point.

xbitz

19 Nov 2022

arqui wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Neo wrote:
06 Sep 2022

^good question..
just wondering, what was the problem with BlueCat Patchwork?

the latest version has added macros with learning to it so it works like a Combinator now (multicoreCPU engine per row)
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

LittleBoy

19 Nov 2022

xbitz wrote:
19 Nov 2022
arqui wrote:
17 Nov 2022

just wondering, what was the problem with BlueCat Patchwork?

the latest version has added macros with learning to it so it works like a Combinator now (multicoreCPU engine per row)
That the native option would be more stable and direct when adjusting MIDI control and automations. But above all, it is worth €100.

xbitz

19 Nov 2022

^^^ dunno, MuLab plugin also doesn't have VST3 support but have own modulation framework and I'm using MuLab instead of Patchwork in Reason
this makes the projects manageable in Reason
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

• Information