arturia augmented piano cpu heavy

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gritz

15 Nov 2022

Anyone experiencing dropouts cracking and stuttering on reason 12 when using this and the string version

joeyluck

15 Nov 2022

Augmented Strings is one of the most CPU intensive plugins I've ever used. Arturia stuff has never been very CPU efficient IMO.

MuttReason

15 Nov 2022

Second that. I love their soft synths (great design and GUI) but they are pretty heavy on CPU. Similar to Roland Cloud instruments in that sense. A good reminder that Reason is still pretty damn efficient under the hood. I can load up the rack with Europas all day long - more than I could ever use in any track I’ve ever created - and barely nudge the CPU (on my Intel iMac Pro). Can’t say the same about most plugins I use.

Jackjackdaw

15 Nov 2022

The strings rinsed my laptop. Sounded really lush though on the patches that didn’t max out. I had no problems with Arturia v7 but updates of stuff since then have been hogging. I rolled everything back to the versions that worked on my gear and remind myself not to hit update.

gritz

16 Nov 2022

Damn thanks guys that’s annoying - wonder how other daw users get on

Chi-Individual

16 Nov 2022

gritz wrote:
16 Nov 2022
I used AS in Studio One 5 Pro which is almost as efficient on my M1 MBP as R12 and one chord sequence still spiked it to 45% usage in an instant. Arturia is just heavy handed.

Oh, and that one instance was the only instrument in the project. I tried it on purpose just to see if R12 was performing bad. It’s just auturia.

gritz

16 Nov 2022

But surely no one could possibly use their soft synths on anything unless you have a massive computer

DaveyG

16 Nov 2022

gritz wrote:
16 Nov 2022
But surely no one could possibly use their soft synths on anything unless you have a massive computer
Track freeze, brother. Track freeze.

Chi-Individual

16 Nov 2022

He’s using nothing but Arturia Products in this vid. Just keep an eye on the Bitwig dsp meter at the top. They still have some of the best sounding synths and fx despite being so heavy handed on your system.

selig
RE Developer

16 Nov 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
16 Nov 2022

He’s using nothing but Arturia Products in this vid. Just keep an eye on the Bitwig dsp meter at the top. They still have some of the best sounding synths and fx despite being so heavy handed on your system.
Or maybe BECAUSE of being so heavy handed? ;)
I have V collection 8 which doesn’t include the ‘augmented’ series, so I haven’t noticed any huge difference between Arturia and others.
Selig Audio, LLC

StephenHutchinson

16 Nov 2022

gritz wrote:
15 Nov 2022
Anyone experiencing dropouts cracking and stuttering on reason 12 when using this and the string version
I had this happen on my MacBook Air (2015), but when installing it on my Mac mini M1 (16GB) no stutters or anything. Tested in Reason 12, Bitwig 4.4.3, and Ableton LIVE 11.5.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

Chi-Individual

16 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
16 Nov 2022
Or maybe BECAUSE of being so heavy handed? ;)
I have V collection 8 which doesn’t include the ‘augmented’ series, so I haven’t noticed any huge difference between Arturia and others.
I cannot argue that point. I’m still eyeing V9. And pigments just works. I’m trying to be strong and not buy it but my will is slowly breaking :lol:

Goriila Texas

17 Nov 2022

I'm on Studio One v6 Pro could only get it to go up to 25% even when I turned the Poly up to 16 playing chords with both hands. Must be a Mac or Reason thing I have no issue on my PC using S1 V6 and I tested it with my template song which loads up with RRP loaded with Mimmic and Radical Pianos, Maschine, Scaler and Impact drum module.

Chi-Individual wrote:
16 Nov 2022
gritz wrote:
16 Nov 2022
I used AS in Studio One 5 Pro which is almost as efficient on my M1 MBP as R12 and one chord sequence still spiked it to 45% usage in an instant. Arturia is just heavy handed.

Oh, and that one instance was the only instrument in the project. I tried it on purpose just to see if R12 was performing bad. It’s just auturia.

manisnotabird

22 Nov 2022

Both the other augmented instruments are extremely CPU heavy. I can get other plugins to use as much CPU as the average augemented strings/voices patch, but I have to go out of my way to set every quality knob to maximum and set a huge maximum polyphony and set a massive unison detune.

joeyluck

20 Dec 2022

I contacted them about adding something like an 'eco' mode for the Augmented series. Something that sacrifices a bit of quality while composing, but still offers enough for inspiration and an understanding of the general sound. Then you could switch to full quality on export or bouncing tracks.

I'm not sure what is possible along those lines, but aside from more performance improvements, I would think they are aware of how heavy it is on CPU and maybe would consider other workflow solutions. I can bounce to track now, but as far as writing, there's so many patches I can't even write with that it makes it difficult to even explore what is there.

robussc

20 Dec 2022

I've also seen that Arturia V-collection 8, it seems to bog the system down (and their UIs take a while to load, and Reason glitches when getting them rolling on the first play through). For the money they cost one would think they would be a little smoother. Sure they sound great when they're rolling, but they come with a lot of baggage.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

• Information