What are you eating these days?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
15 Nov 2022
MrFigg wrote:
15 Nov 2022

Sorry but I really don’t understand what your point is here. That eating is not good when training? Or fasting is better? Or what do you mean?
For me, fasting is the best solution, eating in the evening.

As for the point - I hear so many times people warning me, not to fast. But I don't hear them saying anything when I go by their recommendations, and feel completely messed up again.

I see very few people being happy and balanced, that eat regularly. 90% of people are knocked out by 14:00. And they are the teen, 20, 30, 40 era!
I’m 52 and yeah, I go out and run 10km every morning on 2 cups of coffee. I get by with the glycogen stored in my live. Train Nei Gong at least 30-40 minutes. Then I eat some kvarg or something (protein) with maybe some strawberries. I don’t know, I feel fine. Maybe people are eating too much carbs and sugars and that’s why they burn out. No idea. Do what feels right for you I guess but it’s not just made up that muscles need protein to heal and that your body needs energy. Guess it also depends how much fat you’re carrying.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dhruan

15 Nov 2022

Payday treat (also making up for last Friday which was my sucky birthday), cooking a 4cm/1.8" thick ribeye steak (about a pound and a half) that has been quick marinated with fresh crushed & chopped garlic, and salt. Will cold-sear it to get a good crust and cook it halfway done, then baste it with more garlic, shallots, and rosemary to reach rare/medium rare.

Not still decided on the sides. More Czech beer (Budvar)? :D On a more serious note, I might actually heat the vegan potato, onion, cream & cheese casserole that I cooked last weekend. Yummy... ☺️
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

dhruan

15 Nov 2022

Missing the best bits but yeah, tasty and tender.
Ribeye - 2022-11-15.jpeg
Ribeye - 2022-11-15.jpeg (793.96 KiB) Viewed 11113 times
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

RobC

15 Nov 2022

MrFigg wrote:
15 Nov 2022
RobC wrote:
15 Nov 2022

For me, fasting is the best solution, eating in the evening.

As for the point - I hear so many times people warning me, not to fast. But I don't hear them saying anything when I go by their recommendations, and feel completely messed up again.

I see very few people being happy and balanced, that eat regularly. 90% of people are knocked out by 14:00. And they are the teen, 20, 30, 40 era!
I’m 52 and yeah, I go out and run 10km every morning on 2 cups of coffee. I get by with the glycogen stored in my live. Train Nei Gong at least 30-40 minutes. Then I eat some kvarg or something (protein) with maybe some strawberries. I don’t know, I feel fine. Maybe people are eating too much carbs and sugars and that’s why they burn out. No idea. Do what feels right for you I guess but it’s not just made up that muscles need protein to heal and that your body needs energy. Guess it also depends how much fat you’re carrying.
What I learned about fasting-enthusiasts is, that they lost weight more easily, they built muscles and got stronger, and had a crazy (but controllable) sex drive.

I tops have 10 kg fat, although I might have lost 4 kg already, without much effort. (Though 10 kg "fat" might be exaggerating, since I worked out, and I only judged by BMI.)
The regular water consumption freed me from caffeine without headaches, or tiredness.
I work out about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Which continues to increase. Sometimes 30 minutes heavy-cycling, too, on rough terrain.

All of them together made me more productive.

But yeah, some of us have odd metabolism, that can't be changed, hence we end up fasting. What sucks is when people called me stupid/martyr for it.

RobC

15 Nov 2022

dhruan wrote:
15 Nov 2022

Ribeye - 2022-11-15.jpeg
That sure would look great in another pan or plate! x D

I prefer everything well done.

dhruan

16 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
15 Nov 2022
dhruan wrote:
15 Nov 2022

Ribeye - 2022-11-15.jpeg

What, my crusty lovingly used carbon steel pan not good enough for you, sir? xD

Completely food safe though, it just looks like... what it does. :P
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

dhruan

16 Nov 2022

...I personally think it adds a bit of rustic charm to the shot :D
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

RobC

16 Nov 2022

dhruan wrote:
16 Nov 2022
RobC wrote:
15 Nov 2022

It would make Gordon cry.

I once ate from such, but had food poisoning and diarrhea for a week. So I'm not sure.

Ceramic pans are easier to clean, maybe. But yeah, always clean the pan after each use.

dhruan

16 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
16 Nov 2022
dhruan wrote:
16 Nov 2022

I once ate from such, but had food poisoning and diarrhea for a week. So I'm not sure.

Ceramic pans are easier to clean, maybe. But yeah, always clean the pan after each use.
Hmm, do you have experience with carbon steel pans? What you see on the sides, etc. (the uneven stuff) is actually mostly just the pan's seasoning, some of which has flaked off (carbon steel pans are seasoned to make the non-stick > basically just a thin coating of polymerized oils/fats etched to the surface of the pan that gets better with each use). Why is it uneven? I started it off on a gas range for a couple of years, those burners spread the heat around the sides of the pan and burn stuff. Only the seasoning at the bottom is "durable", the stuff on the sides tends to flake or wear of when the pan is washed, etc. Now cooking with induction, the heat comes from the bottom only so yeah, maybe I should scrub it clean to base metal (would be a major task and most likely require power tools, or something...), and then re-season it.

Plus, I just cooked with it (hence the coating of oil and whatnot, cooking a steak and basting it with butter, herbs, garlic and shallots splashes stuff around, etc.). The pan is perfectly food safe and I cook with it pretty much daily, I have also made food for loads of people with it, zero issues, ever.

Food poisonings are not fun, have had my own share of those. But, the only times I've had such have come from eating out, sometimes even at reputable restaurants. Shit happens (pardon the pun). ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

RobC

16 Nov 2022

dhruan wrote:
16 Nov 2022
RobC wrote:
16 Nov 2022

Hmm, do you have experience with carbon steel pans? What you see on the sides, etc. (the uneven stuff) is actually mostly just the pan's seasoning, some of which has flaked off (carbon steel pans are seasoned to make the non-stick > basically just a thin coating of polymerized oils/fats etched to the surface of the pan that gets better with each use). Why is it uneven? I started it off on a gas range for a couple of years, they spread the heat around the sides of the pan and burn stuff. Only the seasoning at the bottom is "durable", the stuff on the sides tends to flake or wear of when the pan is washed, etc. Now cooking with induction, the heat comes from the bottom only so yeah, maybe I should scrub it clean to base metal (would be a major task and most likely require power tools, or something...), and then re-season it.

Plus, I just cooked with it (hence the coating of oil and whatnot, cooking a steak and basting it with butter, herbs, garlic and shallots splashes stuff around, etc.). The pan is perfectly food safe and I cook with it pretty much daily, I have also made food for loads of people with it, zero issues, ever.

Food poisonings are not fun, have had my own share of those. But, the only times I've had such have come from eating out, sometimes even at reputable restaurants. Shit happens (pardon the pun). ;)
I worked with all kinds of pans. The cheapest ones that are thin, could be thrown out after 1 use. x D
Then the teflon coated ones, yes they are okay for a while, don't stick, but then just fall apart, flake by flake.

The ceramic coated, they are great until some fool uses a knife or fork with it, and scratches it. Now it sticks a bit, and I cleaned it with stronger washing up liquids, even cold fat dissolver (all harmful for it); but after 6 years, it's still well usable, without flaking. And it's fairly good looking. Better than yours. : D
But, it's heavy and heats up more slowly.

Maybe you should get a new pan, and let this one retire. Great for cats! Either giving them food, or knocking their head if they misbehave. x D

Luckily, I prefer to cook, and find restaurants overpriced. : )

Your star looked fancy, btw!

littlejam

16 Nov 2022

hello,

all of my pots and pans are stainless steel
no aluminum / no cast iron / no non stick

the cool thing with stainless
you can put the whole pot / pan into the oven

if i make scrambled eggs in the little fry pan
i heat the pan up first on medium for 2 minutes
then add avocado oil until it starts to glisten
pour in the eggs (3)
stir them around a bit
turn off the heat

completely non stick cooking surface

i also only use wood or heat resistant spatulas, etc

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

littlejam

17 Nov 2022

hello,

i just found this recent video
when i was 20 i went to anchorage
and down to kenai

it's interesting when you talk about something on the phone
shit comes up in videos

it's like your phone is listening to you
i have an android

fresh halibut and mac and cheese

at the cannery camp
we would climb 'aspen' trees
mostly at night around the camp fire and tents
skinny trees
so they would bend like a 20 foot branch
the goal was to climb tall enough on the tree
until it bends over
and then you get down to the ground without breaking the tree
you are safely on the ground
the tree flies back into the air, unharmed
however, sometimes, halfway down the swing thing
the tree just snaps in half and you fall to the ground
it hurts but it is fun
especially when you see the next person start climbing the next tree

great friends

and then going searching / finding sunrise mushrooms

yeah, memory lane would be a new cool thread to start in said kitchen

1 song
1 story
1 recipe

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

motuscott

17 Nov 2022

Fridge died, landlord replaced it with one that can sustain ice cream.
I may be in over my head.

Vanilla is the best ice cream flavor.
Fight me
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

RobC

17 Nov 2022

motuscott wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Fridge died, landlord replaced it with one that can sustain ice cream.
I may be in over my head.

Vanilla is the best ice cream flavor.
Fight me
"Natural aroma" - ask a beaver where that kind of "vanilla" comes from! : D

motuscott

17 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Vanilla is a spice derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla.
Still, I got no problem with beavers...

RobC

17 Nov 2022

motuscott wrote:
17 Nov 2022
RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Vanilla is a spice derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla.
Still, I got no problem with beavers...
Unless they specify it as natural aroma. That's extracted from the rear of beavers. x D

motuscott

17 Nov 2022

Motuscott in th' place to B, once again

dhruan

17 Nov 2022

Just made 2.5 cups of chimichurri... dayum, I love that stuff. Modified the following recipe with loads more garlic, chili, and also, cilantro (1 to 1 with parsley). And now one of my hands burns between the fingers because I didn't wear gloves when handling the chili. 😅 Oh well, it was worth it! 😂

https://cafedelites.com/authentic-chimi ... argentina/
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

dhruan

17 Nov 2022

...on that note, I love different kinds of dipping sauces and condiments, they really add more spice to my life and make it better. For example, there are a ton of Thai and Vietnamese dipping sauces that are to die for. The spice must flow...

The only downside of having and enjoying loads of different kinds of condiments is the "How can this have expired, I just bought it... like five years ago, it seems. Oops." syndrome. Keeping the stock fresh can become a hassle. I have like five different kinds of fish sauces, a bunch of different kinds of vinegar (white 5% & 10%, white and red balsamic, red wine vinegar, black/chinese vinegar, champagne vinegar, etc.), the same with hot sauces, etc. 😅
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2022

Linguine. Just now. Favourite pasta
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dhruan

17 Nov 2022

MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Why, linguine is the best pasta... and now I want some. Hmmm... ribeye and linguine with a side of chimichurri? That could work... :thumbup:
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

RobC

17 Nov 2022

dhruan wrote:
17 Nov 2022
MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Why, linguine is the best pasta... and now I want some. Hmmm... ribeye and linguine with a side of chimichurri? That could work... :thumbup:
After spaghetti, sure!

That said, I only ever made linguine at home. It was a pain in the ass. Yet the best pasta I ever ate.

Basically, you flatten your pasta dough, like lasagna sheets, then roll it up, and cut as thin as you can. Yes, you work for each piece. x D

A pasta machine would be great, just not when egg price tripled!

My pasta is made of only egg, flour, salt.

littlejam

20 Nov 2022

hello,

sometimes there is still hope in the world

here is the commentary:

271,665 views Nov 17, 2022
Chimpanzee Mahale gave birth via C-section on Nov. 15 at Sedgwick County Zoo.
Due to complications at birth, baby Kucheza had to stay at the hospital for extra oxygen and medical care.
Nearly 48 hours after birth, mom and baby were able to reunite.

Mahale is an exceptional mother and it's clear how much she loves her baby.

time to try to make a birthday cake

@RobC: i respect your pasta recipe

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios

littlejam

26 Nov 2022

hello,

great french fry / poutine recipe

but the guy 'euthanized' his out back fridge

listening to 'gang starr - blowin up the spot'

interesting combination

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

littlejam

03 Dec 2022

hello,

this cutting up a chicken video is dope

i spatchcock chicken
when i have a turkey, i cut it into pieces
to cook separately at different temperatures

there are a few curse words

tonight is different flavored chicken thighs
in jarred Alfredo sauce (no soy oil)
with fettuccine noodles and mixed vegetables

i know a shoe guy in brooklyn
by prospect park
who sharpens knives with 'whetstones'
some jedi ninja sharp stuff

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios

• Information