Sticky Ableton Push 2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EdGrip

14 Nov 2022

Hello!
My Push 2 has reached the stage in its life where all the rubberised plastic edges have turned into horrible dust-enriched glue. Because apparently product designers still think rubberised plastic is cool and nobody has beaten them up for it.

I've just used some isopropyl alcohol and a cloth to completely rub it off, down to the shiny plastic. I've even managed to retain the Ableton logo. The underside is behaving itself so far so I've left that for now. Fortunately the face isn't rubberised.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else has got some music gear that's going sticky. You don't have to live like that.

Noiserunner

14 Nov 2022

I have a lot of Arturia gear, which has the adhesive disease. I used talcum powder on the sticky surfaces, tried not to put it into the knobs or sliders. It appears to heal or slow down the process but creates a "vintage look" on the treated areas (which I actually like).
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

Mint

14 Nov 2022

Think my Balance :PUF_balance:will go the same way... : (

Jackjackdaw

14 Nov 2022

Why would anyone buy a Push 3 if the Push 2 didn’t go sticky?

EdGrip

14 Nov 2022

Noiserunner wrote:
14 Nov 2022
I have a lot of Arturia gear, which has the adhesive disease. I used talcum powder on the sticky surfaces, tried not to put it into the knobs or sliders. It appears to heal or slow down the process but creates a "vintage look" on the treated areas (which I actually like).
I have a 2nd hand Microbrute whose knobs and faders are going this way. I might try taking them off and giving them the same treatment.

joeyluck

14 Nov 2022

Yeah I really dislike products that use this stuff. I guess many add it for extra grip. And before people are privy to what causes the stickiness, most will try a little bit of light cleaning with a damp cloth...and then discover after that it got even worse.

So are you thinking of changing your username to EdAntiGrip? :P

• Information