Fold/unfold Players in stack

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
ljekio

07 Nov 2022

To many Players now... Didn't anyone come up with the idea that Players in a stack should be fold/unfold individually, like other devices?
So I'll be the first? :)

BRIGGS

07 Nov 2022

I'm guessing, this wasn't a day one functionality, because of midi troubleshooting issues. If everything is all folded up, it would hard to spot problems quickly.
r11s

jam-s

07 Nov 2022

Do players even have a folded view? If it is no requirement by the SDK then this feature could only be implemented with some kind of generic folded view which would not be all that useful imho.

joeyluck

07 Nov 2022

It's definitely come up plenty, but maybe there isn't a single thread for it? I know I've seen it among lists of requests.

Some have questioned if it might be too late to implement, particularly if devs would need to create folded graphics, but as others have suggested, the folded view could be generic and generated by Reason. I imagine it could be something like the VST proxy device when folded—you'd see the name in a basic font and maybe a patch browser where applicable. But if having to keep things super simple to make it happen, I'd be ok with folded views that had nothing other than the name on them. Usually if I'm wanting to fold a single player, it's just to get it out of the way (it's set) while I work with other players.

Here are some other suggestions I've made over the years for players :)

A viewing option could be an alternative to individual player folding. At the top of the player stack, you would have an option to View All (default as it is now) or choose individually which single player to view. There might be times when you want to view just 2 players at once in a stack of 7 or whatever, but this would at least give an option to view a single player in a stack with the instrument still in view.

This suggestion also incorporates a patch browser for saving player chains.

player-view_all.jpg
player-view_all.jpg (58.9 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

joeyluck

07 Nov 2022

jam-s wrote:
07 Nov 2022
Do players even have a folded view? If it is no requirement by the SDK then this feature could only be implemented with some kind of generic folded view which would not be all that useful imho.
It would totally be useful. As I just mentioned in my last comment, folding a single player just to get it out of the way while working with other players is useful enough.

As it stands now, when using large player stacks, users often can't access players at the top and a RE instrument at the same time. We often can't access players at the top and the bottom at the same time. And unlike utilities and other devices, they can't be moved to the side. A stack of players is a monolith that can only be collapsed as a whole and that is unfortunate. And when collapsed, it offers no info either.

I think the generic folded view could work to help improve workflow. I had also suggested above a view mode where you choose to View All or choose to view an individual player. I'd also take that over nothing.

ljekio

07 Nov 2022

You guys said it right.
Just generic view enough.

BRIGGS

07 Nov 2022

My solution is to have 1 master player that can record notes, per stack. Delete players after you've already recorded notes into your master player. My master player is usually Sequences. This way I'm only working with 2-3 players and not the empire state building. : )

r11s

joeyluck

07 Nov 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
07 Nov 2022
My solution is to have 1 master player that can record notes, per stack. Delete players after you've already recorded notes into your master player. My master player is usually Sequences. This way I'm only working with 2-3 players and not the empire state building. : )
I try to keep my workflow as efficient as possible, but getting rid of devices isn't always an option based on the player stack, what is feeding what, and what you are editing. I could also tell people to bounce to track and delete instrument and effect plugins and move on, and that nobody needs a new computer, Reason itself doesn't need to ever be made more efficient, and you don't ever need more than one instrument plugin at a time...print it to track. But we know that isn't the preferred workflow for most.

Chi-Individual

07 Nov 2022

I’ve gotten into the habit of using send to track for the ones I don’t need to keep in the rack. I’d love it if they all folded individually.

BRIGGS

07 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
07 Nov 2022
I try to keep my workflow as efficient as possible, but getting rid of devices isn't always an option based on the player stack, what is feeding what, and what you are editing. I could also tell people to bounce to track and delete instrument and effect plugins and move on, and that nobody needs a new computer, Reason itself doesn't need to ever be made more efficient, and you don't ever need more than one instrument plugin at a time...print it to track. But we know that isn't the preferred workflow for most.
I just go with what works, and try to keep things simple. Reason can become a huge mess, very quickly. :lol:
r11s

ljekio

07 Nov 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
07 Nov 2022
I’ve gotten into the habit of using send to track for the ones I don’t need to keep in the ra
Send to track is perfect, but someone use many players in generative misic or live sets.

huggermugger

07 Nov 2022

ljekio wrote:
07 Nov 2022
To many Players now... Didn't anyone come up with the idea that Players in a stack should be fold/unfold individually, like other devices?
So I'll be the first? :)
I've been requesting this for months. I don't think it'll ever happen though.

huggermugger

07 Nov 2022

I use Players actively, rarely Send to Track. I usually need more than one, and sometimes several, to achieve the results I want. But when I'm working within the larger context of the song, I may only need to see one of the Players (e.g. a sequencer). Not being able to collapse the 'utility' Players makes the whole project awkward to manage.

https://youtube.com/shorts/PvfGliVVAC4?feature=share

visheshl

24 Nov 2022

Ok so i tried using reason standalone instead of RRP. And Yes, Folding players please....very important.
In RRP it's not so much of a requirement as there is only one instrument on each RRP, so it's kinda workable, but in standalone i think it's very much a requirement.
And it could be a generic folded view with the player name so that Dev's are not required to remake their extensions with the folded view graphics etc.

• Information