Noise Engineering Music Challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2022

Maybe I'm alone here but I haven't used the Noise Engineering REs nearly as much as I would like to, just sparingly here and there. And also except for some short demos and completely random blip bloppy type of examples, I haven't actually heard anyone writing full tunes with their stuff, not even on the experimental side.
I feel like there lies so much potential in these cool and quirky devices, yet I don't hear anyone making music with them.
Let's change that.

So if you're like me and feel it's finally time to dive deeper into the Noise Engineering stuff you own, join this challenge and make some Noise Engineering based music.
It doesn't matter if you own 1 or all of their REs. Let your NE device(s) be the driving force in your music this time.
Write one track, or two, or more. Whatever fits you.
It's ok to use other instruments, drum samples and effects too, just make sure that the NE devices is at the core of the project.

Feel free to post your NE songs here in this thread so other people can hear it.

Loque

06 Nov 2022

I used them in a few songs. Obviously you may not recognize them at once...

I like the idea. Its just a bit difficult to make something else than typical modular stuff, drones or just noise. But hey, there are so many more options to process the sounds even further...

I have something in my mind for a while, just not enough time...maybe i use this challange as a kick off :-)

Also heard not so much about the great new fx they made.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2022

Loque wrote:
06 Nov 2022
I used them in a few songs. Obviously you may not recognize them at once...

I like the idea. Its just a bit difficult to make something else than typical modular stuff, drones or just noise. But hey, there are so many more options to process the sounds even further...

I have something in my mind for a while, just not enough time...maybe i use this challange as a kick off :-)

Also heard not so much about the great new fx they made.
Would love to hear the music you've made with the NE stuff. Please share. :puf_smile:

Yep I know these devices naturally lend themselves to the tweaky modular stuff, but I firmly believe they can be used for all kinds of things, even more "normal" types of music as well. I think it's mainly that people who buy them are the modular tweaky types, so that's what they do with them.

Here's a NE track I started about a year ago. Not finished or mixed at all, but hopefully with this challenge I can turn it into a full track. Even though it's a more straight forward track I think the NE character comes through pretty well.

Regarding the NE fx, I've used Desmodus in some of my music. I really like that one. It's great for never ending reverb tails. Here's a perfect example where I've used it. You can here it on the melodies (both at 0:19 and at 1:10) , how any note rings out forever until a new note is triggered. And then that note rings out forever. I like how the notes smear to together like chords until the old notes slowly fades away. It almost works as a new compositional tool that's hard to achieve in more traditional ways. Normal reverb definitely wouldn't do it.

Loque

06 Nov 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Nov 2022
This is the one i made for the original release song challange, but since i was already a mod, it was not part of the voting, just for fun. Ofc, i have used a few generated sounds here and there, but would take me a bit longer to find them...
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2022

Loque wrote:
06 Nov 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Nov 2022
This is the one i made for the original release song challange, but since i was already a mod, it was not part of the voting, just for fun. Ofc, i have used a few generated sounds here and there, but would take me a bit longer to find them...
Cool. Thanks for posting. Always interesting to see what different people create with particular tools/instruments.

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2022

I don't own any of these RE'S but enjoyed the songs above and look forward to hearing more.

joeyluck

07 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
07 Nov 2022
I don't own any of these RE'S but enjoyed the songs above and look forward to hearing more.
Not even the free ones?

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
07 Nov 2022
Popey wrote:
07 Nov 2022
Not even the free ones?
Ha ha I was not aware they had some free RE'S so thanks joeyluck I will have to check them out 👍

joeyluck

07 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
07 Nov 2022
joeyluck wrote:
07 Nov 2022

Not even the free ones?
Ha ha I was not aware they had some free RE'S so thanks joeyluck I will have to check them out 👍
Ruina is my new favorite distortion 🤘

Here's the freequel bundle:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... el-bundle/

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
07 Nov 2022
Popey wrote:
07 Nov 2022

Thanks, downloading the RE'S now to try after work.

Loque

12 Nov 2022

Just thrown some quick ideas together. Not much time for more atm. Hope you like it.

All sounds are generated by Noise Engineering instruments.

Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2022

Loque wrote:
12 Nov 2022
Just thrown some quick ideas together. Not much time for more atm. Hope you like it.

All sounds are generated by Noise Engineering instruments.

Cool. :puf_smile: Yeah a few of those sounds really have the NE character. I don't think I've heard those type of sounds from any other synth.

Loque

13 Nov 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Nov 2022
Cool. :puf_smile: Yeah a few of those sounds really have the NE character. I don't think I've heard those type of sounds from any other synth.
Yea, thats true. I think one of the cool things with the NE instruments is, that with one knob you can often make some drastic changes to a few characteristics of the sound.
Reason12, Win10

modecca

13 Nov 2022

🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2022

modecca wrote:
13 Nov 2022
This is a good reminder why I'm drawn to your stuff. It really is like a collage of different sounds with your music. This type of music is something I could never come up with myself. It just wouldn't come out naturally. And that's a part I find fascinating about creativity and art. We all have our own expression, a way our brains put things together in a way that makes sense and seems natural to us.
I don't even know what to call them, but I like those little melodic lines coming in and out. The incomprehensible voices are a nice touch too.

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2022

I made this one for the competition (placed 2nd) back then with lots of distortion on the devices.

This reminds me that I haven't used those devices a lot since then and I should revisit them.

modecca

19 Nov 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2022

This is a good reminder why I'm drawn to your stuff. It really is like a collage of different sounds with your music. This type of music is something I could never come up with myself. It just wouldn't come out naturally. And that's a part I find fascinating about creativity and art. We all have our own expression, a way our brains put things together in a way that makes sense and seems natural to us.
I don't even know what to call them, but I like those little melodic lines coming in and out. The incomprehensible voices are a nice touch too.
This challenge has really exposed me to the tons of interesting patches in the freequal bundle. With ruina I'm finding it pretty easy to incinerate the mix.
Are you still working on your track?

🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2022

modecca wrote:
19 Nov 2022
This challenge has really exposed me to the tons of interesting patches in the freequal bundle. With ruina I'm finding it pretty easy to incinerate the mix.
Are you still working on your track?

I have only played around with Ruina very briefly so far. I haven't included it in any released song yet. But it seems to offer something a bit different so it's probably worth exploring more.

I'm a bit all over the place with how I spend my creative time at the moment.
I have two NE tracks that I've started, one being the track I posted earlier in this thread and another one that's perhaps a bit more focused on the sound exploration aspect.
I'm also trying to put together the last 8-9 years of music making into some sort of albums/releases so that everything will be available more easly. It's not gonna be any cohesive albums or anything, more like collections of songs from each year. Something like: "TritoneAddiction - Songs from 2022" etc. But going through all that old material, seeing what's worth including, dabbling with creating album covers and stuff takes some time.
Also as I mentioned I'm also spending time drawing and dabbling in that kind of art too. So it's all a big creative mess right now. :puf_smile: Which is totally fine though. I don't have any deadlines for anything and don't feel any need to either. Things will happen when they happen.

PropitiousME

19 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
07 Nov 2022
Popey wrote:
07 Nov 2022

Took a ride on this link train. I have arrived at my destination. Virt Vereor displayed here in "Bass Mode". *FacePalm* LoL:

Loque

20 Nov 2022

Just gambling around and made a little "Bouncing Ball" for you... You need R12.
BouncingNoise.zip
(5.7 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
BouncingNoise.mp3
(471.43 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Reason12, Win10

Loque

27 Nov 2022

I was playing around creating a pad with onyl the free stuff from NE. Than it happens...added a kick, a sample, and could not stop. The result is some glitchy ambient stuff.

Hope you like it. Have fun!

Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2022

Wrote this little bit. Not sure if I'll extend it and turn it into a full song or leave it as it is. We'll see.
Every sound comes from Noise Engineering devices. Drums too.

Loque

10 Dec 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Dec 2022
Wrote this little bit. Not sure if I'll extend it and turn it into a full song or leave it as it is. We'll see.
Every sound comes from Noise Engineering devices. Drums too.

Excellent.

If you have a good idea for the chorus, maybe a rhythm turn with melody, it could end in a full song.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2022

Loque wrote:
10 Dec 2022
Excellent.

If you have a good idea for the chorus, maybe a rhythm turn with melody, it could end in a full song.
Thanks. Yeah we'll see if I work on it more. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have much time for music. And usually that means I'm less likely to make longer projects/songs.
Another thought I have is to make like a collection of shorter Noise Engineering bits. It all depends on what I feel like at the moment when I sit down with Reason. I typically don't plan my creative work that much.

• Information