LaunchEon 1.1 in the shop + new bundles!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ab459

13 Oct 2022

The other half of LaunchEon’s power comes from its morphing capability, which is, as far as we are aware, the most powerful in any plugin format or DAW, anywhere on Earth
:D lol
Ok when the end of intro sale for bundles ? Think grab megapower.

Stygian Abyss

13 Oct 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Stygian Abyss wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Could the same made be possible with the 8 x 8 pattern radio buttons on each scene page, allowing 64 MIDI notes to activate the 64 corresponding buttons, and turning off the pattern Player row if an already active radio button receives its MIDI note. By doing this, LaunchEon could be easily controlled from a grid device such as a Launchpad, thus allowing it to control up to 8 Players, which would be awesome.
I looked into this a bit last night and it can't be done satisfactorily due to how the Combi 2 works. Not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour, but the obvious solution is to add this functionality directly into LaunchEon.

As this is intended to allow hardware connectivity, would it be possible for you to give me some hints on how LaunchPad actually connects to Reason? Does it send notes or CC's basically? I would have thought it sends CC's but you are asking for note input support, am I correct?
Brian, thanks for your reply. Adding the note input functionality directly into LauchEon is what I implied.

To connect the LaunchPad X to Reason, I use the grid REs from Retouch Control that come with specific Remote Codecs for various hardware grid MIDI controllers, such as Grid64P0 that allows to create any keyboard layout you want. Being a Player, it can be loaded above a Combinator and sends MIDI notes.

Thus, this is note input support I was suggesting for LaunchEon, but it would also be possible, but surely far more complex, to add direct communication with grid controllers trough Remote Codecs as Retouch Control does, allowing to reprogram all pads to send whatever MIDI data you want, and visual feedback.

Anyway, I already purchased LaunchEon, as it has these nice Remote-able X and Y buttons that allow to control the morphing panel position with my Leap Motion. Very nice !

jam-s

13 Oct 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
13 Oct 2022
[...]

As this is intended to allow hardware connectivity, would it be possible for you to give me some hints on how LaunchPad actually connects to Reason? Does it send notes or CC's basically? I would have thought it sends CC's but you are asking for note input support, am I correct?
I'm not sure about the launchpad, but I suppose there's similar documentation to be found as for the APC40 and APC40Mk2 which is essential when creating remote maps, but could also give you an idea on what remoteables to implement/expose for best compatibility.

electrofux

14 Oct 2022

Afaik the launchpad sends and receives notes for the 8x8 grid and CCs for the sidebuttons. And it best connects to Reason via Remote and a Remote Codec. So a codec is needed at least if you want a two way connection where the Grid Buttons light up corresponding to the Device state -i guess the grid buttons have remote items defined, thats all that the device needs to offer.
You could use a Launchpad and connect it via the Midi Patchbay device (i dunno what its called) then the Device would react according to its midi Implementation (as opposed to the Remote implementation) but that would be a one way street.

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

electrofux wrote:
14 Oct 2022
Afaik the launchpad sends and receives notes for the 8x8 grid and CCs for the sidebuttons. And it best connects to Reason via Remote and a Remote Codec. So a codec is needed at least if you want a two way connection where the Grid Buttons light up corresponding to the Device state -i guess the grid buttons have remote items defined, thats all that the device needs to offer.
You could use a Launchpad and connect it via the Midi Patchbay device (i dunno what its called) then the Device would react according to its midi Implementation (as opposed to the Remote implementation) but that would be a one way street.
in addition to this, each launchpad version has different notes mapped to the pads so one codec does not cover all launchpads
- Certified Reason expert

EpiGenetik

15 Oct 2022

….
Last edited by EpiGenetik on 15 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

15 Oct 2022

Stygian Abyss wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Thus, this is note input support I was suggesting for LaunchEon, but it would also be possible, but surely far more complex, to add direct communication with grid controllers trough Remote Codecs as Retouch Control does, allowing to reprogram all pads to send whatever MIDI data you want, and visual feedback.
Hi folks, thanks for all the feedback on this.

I’m gonna have a good look into the options for this and try to get this implemented reasonably quickly. It won’t make it into the pre-Black Friday update as I’ll need to get hold of a LaunchPad of some sort and work it from there.

Remote codecs are much easier to do than setting up a note input solution, but I personally prefer that way of doing it, as it can work for more people. I’ll do both if possible, but the “if” is important there.

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

15 Oct 2022

ab459 wrote:
13 Oct 2022
The other half of LaunchEon’s power comes from its morphing capability, which is, as far as we are aware, the most powerful in any plugin format or DAW, anywhere on Earth
:D lol
Ok when the end of intro sale for bundles ? Think grab megapower.
It’s on through the end of Black Friday 😊

deigm

16 Oct 2022

Can Agnostik do scale detection yet?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

17 Oct 2022

deigm wrote:
16 Oct 2022
Can Agnostik do scale detection yet?
Nope. At the moment I don't know when the next Agnostik update will be exactly, but hopefully this year.

I gotta be honest here though mate, and say that scale/chord detection is waaaaay down on the list of tasks, although I do definitely want to get it in there. The short of it is that it will sit in amongst a bunch of "wizard" functions that sit on top of everything else once it is all done - so every other function comes first.

In the meantime, have a look in the RE's shop as there are some other solutions that might work out better for you in the interim.

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

17 Oct 2022

...and by popular demand, here is a basics rundown in video format.

Enjoy!

Any questions that anyone has which aren't covered here and you can't wait for the tutorial vids to arrive, then please feel free to ask here too, it could be a while before more videos arrive.

cheers,
Brian

littlejam

17 Oct 2022

hello,

@Brian: thank you for the video
one step closer to buying

a powerful device

i guess with using R10
i can 'deconstruct' the combi2's
the routing will be different
but the LaunchEon still works in R10

i am happy

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

Came here to say the same:

"a powerful device"

Indeed.
Selig Audio, LLC

littlejam

18 Oct 2022

hello,

@Brian: great device

just grabbed it from the shop

thank you very much

a great way to start the week

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

littlejam wrote:
18 Oct 2022
hello,

@Brian: great device

just grabbed it from the shop

thank you very much

a great way to start the week

cheers and eat well,

j
Awesome 👏

Thanks for your confidence. I’m sure that you won’t regret it.

Have fun,
Brian

Stygian Abyss

19 Oct 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
15 Oct 2022
Remote codecs are much easier to do than setting up a note input solution, but I personally prefer that way of doing it, as it can work for more people. I’ll do both if possible, but the “if” is important there.
Doing both would certainly be the best option, if possible.

While Remote Codecs would allow you to implement useful additional things such as using the 9th, rightmost column of the controller as Off buttons to stop the sequencers, Remote can't be used with the RRP in other DAWs.

So, note inputs could be a usable alternative in this case, if a compatible note layout is available for the controller. The problem is that most note layouts have several pads mapped to the same note for easier playing.

As an example, I also use the RRP in Bitwig Studio, with the excellent DrivenByMoss extension to connect my LaunchPad X. There is only one potentially usable note layout that outputs 64 unique notes, the "Drum 64", which allows to control up to 4 Kong-like drum machines, with notes C1-D#2 (Lower left), E2-G3 (Upper left), G#3-B4 (Lower right) and C5-D#6 (Upper right).

I suppose a similar layout exists in Live and other DAWs, so this one may be a good choice.

Additionally, may I request for bipolar CV inputs for the X Y morphing buttons in a future update ?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

19 Oct 2022

Thanks for replying :)
Stygian Abyss wrote:
19 Oct 2022
Doing both would certainly be the best option, if possible.

While Remote Codecs would allow you to implement useful additional things such as using the 9th, rightmost column of the controller as Off buttons to stop the sequencers, Remote can't be used with the RRP in other DAWs.

So, note inputs could be a usable alternative in this case, if a compatible note layout is available for the controller. The problem is that most note layouts have several pads mapped to the same note for easier playing.

As an example, I also use the RRP in Bitwig Studio, with the excellent DrivenByMoss extension to connect my LaunchPad X. There is only one potentially usable note layout that outputs 64 unique notes, the "Drum 64", which allows to control up to 4 Kong-like drum machines, with notes C1-D#2 (Lower left), E2-G3 (Upper left), G#3-B4 (Lower right) and C5-D#6 (Upper right).

I suppose a similar layout exists in Live and other DAWs, so this one may be a good choice.
OK, first up, what is a Note Layout? Is this like a codec which is native to the Launchpad hardware? If yes, is this something I could realistically make myself? I just mean, is it possible? Don't worry if it's difficult to do, I have some chops when it comes to tech stuff :D I was of the belief that Launchpads and similar had "piano" modes; is this incorrect, or not correct in all cases?

Stygian Abyss wrote:
19 Oct 2022
Additionally, may I request for bipolar CV inputs for the X Y morphing buttons in a future update ?
Yup, you may indeed. In fact the 1.1 update for LaunchEon was well under way before 1.0 was released, as I had to do all the manuals work for 1.0, along with trying to develop some decent Combinator 2 designs.

The first extra features update is somewhat incredibly going to be available for Black Friday! You have just successfully guessed what one of the new features is!

Cheers,
Brian

Stygian Abyss

21 Oct 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
19 Oct 2022
OK, first up, what is a Note Layout? Is this like a codec which is native to the Launchpad hardware? If yes, is this something I could realistically make myself? I just mean, is it possible? Don't worry if it's difficult to do, I have some chops when it comes to tech stuff :D I was of the belief that Launchpads and similar had "piano" modes; is this incorrect, or not correct in all cases?
A note layout is simply a configuration determining which note is played by each of the 64 pads, in a grid controller's instrument play mode. Example: in the Reason DAW, if you connect a LaunchPad with the Grid64P0 RE and its associated Remote Codec from Retouch Control, you can create your own note layouts and save them as Grid64P0 patch files. This very flexible system allows you design the control surface as you want.

In other DAWs, no Remote Codec, so you have to do with what the equivalent of Remote Codecs in other DAWs have to offer for grid controllers. I don't know much about other DAWs, but in Bitwig Studio, it is called an extension, and the excellent DrivenByMoss by Jürgen Moßgraber most people use offers numerous modes such as instrument play (What you called "piano" mode), step sequencer, clip launcher...

But, to my knowledge, it isn't possible to create a custom note layout for instrument play mode without modifying the DrivenByMoss Bitwig extension itself, and that's something you cannot do, as it is specific to the Bitwig DAW. So, you have to find an available layout that outputs 64 different notes, one for each of LaunchEon's play buttons, and set up note input in your RE according to the location of the notes in the layout.

Most note layouts available are unsuitable because the same note is mapped to several pads to allow easier playing of chords, and the chromatic Piano note layout, which emulates 4 octaves of a piano keyboard also doesn't suit because it has inactive pads between the "black key" pads.

So, only "Drum 64" suits in the case of Bitwig, and as DrivenByMoss is also available for Reaper, and also as I'm almost certain a similar note layout exists in Ableton Live because its drum machine device has the same note mapping as Bitwig's, it should be a recommendable choice.
Enlightenspeed wrote:
19 Oct 2022
You have just successfully guessed what one of the new features is!
Great ! :puf_bigsmile:

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

22 Oct 2022

Stygian Abyss wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Enlightenspeed wrote:
19 Oct 2022
A note layout is simply a configuration determining which note is played by each of the 64 pads, in a grid controller's instrument play mode. Example: in the Reason DAW, if you connect a LaunchPad with the Grid64P0 RE and its associated Remote Codec from Retouch Control, you can create your own note layouts and save them as Grid64P0 patch files. This very flexible system allows you design the control surface as you want.

In other DAWs, no Remote Codec, so you have to do with what the equivalent of Remote Codecs in other DAWs have to offer for grid controllers. I don't know much about other DAWs, but in Bitwig Studio, it is called an extension, and the excellent DrivenByMoss by Jürgen Moßgraber most people use offers numerous modes such as instrument play (What you called "piano" mode), step sequencer, clip launcher...

But, to my knowledge, it isn't possible to create a custom note layout for instrument play mode without modifying the DrivenByMoss Bitwig extension itself, and that's something you cannot do, as it is specific to the Bitwig DAW. So, you have to find an available layout that outputs 64 different notes, one for each of LaunchEon's play buttons, and set up note input in your RE according to the location of the notes in the layout.

Most note layouts available are unsuitable because the same note is mapped to several pads to allow easier playing of chords, and the chromatic Piano note layout, which emulates 4 octaves of a piano keyboard also doesn't suit because it has inactive pads between the "black key" pads.

So, only "Drum 64" suits in the case of Bitwig, and as DrivenByMoss is also available for Reaper, and also as I'm almost certain a similar note layout exists in Ableton Live because its drum machine device has the same note mapping as Bitwig's, it should be a recommendable choice.
Ok, it's looking like I'm going to have to do an "eBay rental" on one of these LaunchPad things, and then work out what will work best with Reason. I knew I would probably have to do this eventually and to be honest I'm still no wiser as to whether there is a good "all encompassing" solution possible, or whether the different proprietary input standards will mess it up.

Ideally I'd like to set-up 2 different simple controller types, one for the Pattern controllers and one for the Scenes controller, but I'll need to figure out the full capability of the Launchpads first, before I decide my tactics.

Whether it's something really simple like a Remote Codec, or a full blown set of smart note input features remains to be seen. I'm very pushed for time now, but I'll try and get something cool done soon-ish :)

Cheers,
Brian

Mattvank

23 Oct 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Mattvank wrote:
12 Oct 2022
It´s to bad that there is no offical launchpad for Touch OSC. RE looks nice!
Can't vouch for this myself but I know a lot of people quite like this for bridging between Touch OSC and Reason, and it has a generic RE controller.

https://retouchcontrol.com/retouchduo/

I´am more friendly with Touch OSC 2 MK2 and thought it will also work with MK1 well but no.
Today, i get a message from Touch OSC that they doing improvements between Mk1 and Mk2 compabitility.
Maybee it working now more fine.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

23 Oct 2022

Mattvank wrote:
23 Oct 2022
Enlightenspeed wrote:
13 Oct 2022

Can't vouch for this myself but I know a lot of people quite like this for bridging between Touch OSC and Reason, and it has a generic RE controller.

https://retouchcontrol.com/retouchduo/

I´am more friendly with Touch OSC 2 MK2 and thought it will also work with MK1 well but no.
Today, i get a message from Touch OSC that they doing improvements between Mk1 and Mk2 compabitility.
Maybee it working now more fine.
The plot thickens.

Question: what DOES work for you right now?

Mattvank

29 Oct 2022

I try again,

Still the same with Touch OSC2. Some functions are working other not.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

31 Oct 2022

I had a look on the Touch OSC site, and it seems to be in a bit of a state of flux. They're clearly updating stuff but I don't see anything that suggests when they'll be "ready".

If you're happy to update us when things change that would be much appreciated, as it's not a site/company/product type that I pay a whole lot of attention to... yet! It seems like a no brainer that this kind of support would be fun for LaunchEon.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the general experience with using Touch OSC and Reason? More specifically, what's the latency like, and how stable is it?

Cheers,
Brian

AbsentFriend

31 Oct 2022

Hi @Brian – great device!

A (hopefully small) request: When selecting a scene, would it be possible to send the switch-scene-CV even if the scene is already chosen in LaunchEon? Example scenario: I create a scene 1 where all players are off. Scenes 2 onward are playing any combination of patterns. I leave LaunchEon at scene 1 while editing a pattern in a connected player. If I then hit Run the player will play the currently selected pattern, even if I click Scene 1 in LaunchOn again. If I create a second "all-off" scene and alter between them, LaunchEon does not seem to send the CV anyway, unless it registers an actual pattern change, is that correct? And if so – is it by design?

Thanks again for a very useful RE.
Cheers.

Mattvank

01 Nov 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
31 Oct 2022

If you don't mind me asking, what's the general experience with using Touch OSC and Reason? More specifically, what's the latency like, and how stable is it?

Cheers,
Brian
Everything about Buttons(Trigger, Switch, on off) Faders and visual feedback is very well made.
Knobs are of course different in behavior.

• Information