Life Generative Sequencer by Retouch Control

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Biolumin3sc3nt

24 Oct 2022

I was only able to trial for about 30mins (free time), but I'll probably end up buying it in the next few days. Cool Player indeed!

gkillmaster

24 Oct 2022

I do wonder how this compares to Szcz's Cracklefield. Looks mighty similar.

Faastwalker

24 Oct 2022

huggermugger wrote:
24 Oct 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Oct 2022
Can the X Y Z knobs be automated? I find I get the most interesting results from turning them.
My thoughts exactly. But no... :(
Can you automate them if you stick it in a Combinator?

geronimo

24 Oct 2022

No _

challism

25 Oct 2022

It looks very interesting. I wonder why Retouch decided against making the x y and z automatable and also lack of cv inputs. Surely this was a conscious decision and not an oversight.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2022

each variation can store a new XYZ setting, so in a way it kinda does have automation
- Certified Reason expert

PhillipOrdonez

25 Oct 2022

Bes wrote:
25 Oct 2022
each variation can store a new XYZ setting, so in a way it kinda does have automation
True story.

Anyone know why the "evolutions" seem to be very short when set to infinite? It very quickly gets to a point where is just doing the same thing and never changes 🤔

huggermugger

25 Oct 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Oct 2022

Anyone know why the "evolutions" seem to be very short when set to infinite? It very quickly gets to a point where is just doing the same thing and never changes 🤔
I don't know much about the underlying mechanism of "Life". But I don't think its patterns are meant to live forever; they're 'mortal', just like actual living things. This Player's evolution takes it from high entropy (disorder) to low entropy (order). Gradually, cells either A) die; B) get locked into small structures that stop evolving; or C) get locked into small structures that oscillate in place forever (a row of three cells that spins like a windmill). I've done several tests with random starting cell patterns. Some quickly reach that dead end, others take a while. Here's one that evolves for about 360 steps before it reaches a dead end. (the same dead end every time - this is not a random device).
Attachments
1 start.png
1 start.png (186.24 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
2 end.png
2 end.png (154.09 KiB) Viewed 5207 times

madmacman

25 Oct 2022

If you really want to go down the Rabbit hole:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

Faastwalker

26 Oct 2022

It's fun this. But, I've got no idea what's going on what so ever! :? It's definitely RTFM time.

ravasb

26 Oct 2022

I have VSTs based on this idea, but this player would be much more useful and interesting with better automation and modulation possibilities. I will keep an eye on how this develops.

Yonatan

26 Oct 2022

I would need some Life…does it do resurections?

Seriously, what this company puts out, I try.

Mataya

26 Oct 2022

I would need dr. Omri Cohen to look at this one. I'm stuck.

M

wowhow
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2022

Oh my gosh, this is so amazing. Do you ever get the feeling that it's so good that I don't want to make it bad by using it?
I'm getting that feeling with this RE. It's so good that I don't want to ruin it.

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2022

Where have I seen this before... mmhhh....

Life Maker!!! Insta Buy!

Last edited by Re8et on 29 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2022

Right, I’m sure it’s good. Retouch Control are great. I’ve got all but 2 of their devices. I just don’t get what’s so good about this one. To me
It sounds like Evolution or any number of other generative plugins. Can someone please tell me what’s brilliant about this one. I’m sure I’m missing something.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Eski

26 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
26 Oct 2022
Right, I’m sure it’s good. Retouch Control are great. I’ve got all but 2 of their devices. I just don’t get what’s so good about this one. To me
It sounds like Evolution or any number of other generative plugins. Can someone please tell me what’s brilliant about this one. I’m sure I’m missing something.
For me it's not been a quick 'bish bash bosh' straight off the mark it sounding great! I've had to spend time tweaking stuff, including the sound until something good started to happen. I think it's quite easy to over clutter things with this device, so tonight I tried 'Life' at lower tempo (86 bpm), moved all the TProb knobs to a low setting and varied the velocity to create some space between the notes. I've also found it useful to place a scales and chords device underneath to see what notes are being thrown out.
Quite pleased with tonights results. It sounds generative but very organic too, so I'll probably make a track out of this session as this is the sort of thing I like :)

dvdrtldg

26 Oct 2022

To me this is another variation on the classic player theme of "making pleasant evolving patterns that you can set to a key or mode and put in the background of a piece of music for rhythmic decorative purposes". The "game of life" thing is a nice bit of geek cool but essentially the musical results are very familiar

It does a good job, and the X/Y/Z functions are a handy shortcut to introducing the kind of variety you'd usually have to get with CV or automation. But increasingly I'm finding it hard to get too excited about this kind of player

On the upside, the price is right and if you don't already have a bunch of other similar devices, it's probably a useful addition to the rack

jam-s

26 Oct 2022

32x32 is a rather small area for game of life. Does it have closed loop boundaries (so that if one cell on the edge would influence the cell on the other side of the screen)?

huggermugger

26 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
26 Oct 2022
32x32 is a rather small area for game of life. Does it have closed loop boundaries (so that if one cell on the edge would influence the cell on the other side of the screen)?
No, cell generation and influence doesn't wrap around. The four sides of the grid are hard limits to evolution.
Last edited by huggermugger on 27 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

ravasb

26 Oct 2022

Bes wrote:
25 Oct 2022
The variations cannot be automated, which seems like a lost opportunity.

jonnyretina

27 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
26 Oct 2022
I had a demo of it and whilst it's conceptually interesting, I think between the Lectric Panda and Robotic Bean generative Players, and even Reason Studios' own Quad Note Generator, you can already be about as a covered as anyone needs to be on the novelty of letting an algorithm write music for you :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
27 Oct 2022
MrFigg wrote:
26 Oct 2022
I had a demo of it and whilst it's conceptually interesting, I think between the Lectric Panda and Robotic Bean generative Players, and even Reason Studios' own Quad Note Generator, you can already be about as a covered as anyone needs to be on the novelty of letting an algorithm write music for you :)
Yeah. S’what I thought.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Yonatan

27 Oct 2022

It is in the zone of ”no idea what I am doing”. And while not knowing, combining with other players one does not master, it can feel like being in a lab. It is not always useful, but now and then you stumble into interesting patterns that could set you in a certain mood. I am sometimes in that uninspired lab-mood, and it serves a purpose. Also if one wants to make up moods that may be more like soudscaping. But for songwriting, I am not finding the generative road as lucrative, although it could be used for that too.

huggermugger

27 Oct 2022

ravasb wrote:
26 Oct 2022

The variations cannot be automated, which seems like a lost opportunity.
The variations can be automated. And also controlled in a Combinator.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 8.10.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 8.10.40 AM.png (264.74 KiB) Viewed 4798 times

• Information