FreeverbToo VST combi wrapper - UPDATED Faceplate

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
crimsonwarlock

13 Nov 2021

FreeverbToo is a pretty nice algorithmic reverb I have used for years, and it is still my go-to reverb for that eighties gated snare sound. Besides having a rack interface for VST plugins, it also solves the problem with these older plugins having pretty small screens. As for FreeverbToo, there is also one parameter (stereo width) that is not on the plugins interface, but is available as a target.

EDIT: This was one of the first VST-wrappers I did. I wanted to keep some visual relation to the embedded plugin, so I made it plain green. But I was never happy with it, as it is totally uninspiring. Time to do a bit better. And it has screws now, so it will stay in place in the rack better :puf_bigsmile:
I've left the original design screenshot here for 'reference' :puf_wink:

Screenshot freeverbtoo v2.jpg
Screenshot freeverbtoo v2.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

The "old" version 1:

Screenshot 2021-11-13 172809.png
Screenshot 2021-11-13 172809.png (96.26 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

You can download the FreeverbToo VST needed for this combi here: http://www.sinusweb.de
Alternative download is here: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/457/

The combi is attached below.
Attachments
FreeverbToo V2 - Init Patch.rar
(429.14 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by crimsonwarlock on 23 Oct 2022, edited 2 times in total.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

13 Nov 2021

OK, re-uploaded the combi as I spotted some minor issues with the positioning of the controls.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moofi

14 Nov 2021

Thank you for sharing :-)
crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Nov 2021
OK, re-uploaded the combi as I spotted some minor issues with the positioning of the controls.

Ottostrom

14 Nov 2021

Thanks man!
Gonna try it on some snares :thumbs_up:

crimsonwarlock

15 Nov 2021

More stuff to come. Since I moved to RS (from Reaper, not completely abandoned that one), there are a few VST plugins I often use that I didn't find a suitable replacement for in RS. I really love working in the rack, so being able to turn those VST plugins into rack devices (to a certain degree) makes it even better. As I'm going this route, I see no reason not to share them :puf_smile:
-------

Danilo Villanova
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
15 Nov 2021
More stuff to come. Since I moved to RS (from Reaper, not completely abandoned that one), there are a few VST plugins I often use that I didn't find a suitable replacement for in RS. I really love working in the rack, so being able to turn those VST plugins into rack devices (to a certain degree) makes it even better. As I'm going this route, I see no reason not to share them :puf_smile:
Hey man, thanks for the combi, will definitely be using it. How is your transition from Reaper going? I'm also moving from Reaper and Studio One to R12. I just love the rack, the players, instruments, etc. I'm starting to make some money from music production and Reason is faster for me. But obviously there are some basic DAW things and MIDI functionality that's not available in Reason's sequencer and piano roll. Have you found anything lacking compared to Reaper?

crimsonwarlock

22 Oct 2022

Danilo Villanova wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Hey man, thanks for the combi, will definitely be using it. How is your transition from Reaper going? I'm also moving from Reaper and Studio One to R12. I just love the rack, the players, instruments, etc. I'm starting to make some money from music production and Reason is faster for me. But obviously there are some basic DAW things and MIDI functionality that's not available in Reason's sequencer and piano roll. Have you found anything lacking compared to Reaper?
I'm not missing anything in Reason so far, but that could be related to the kinds of music I do and how I work. I make progrock where I basically record everything by playing it, and having the rack for processing during the mixing session is much more fun than opening up VST windows in Reaper. I also do spacewave/synthwave projects, where I make heavy use of sequencers and arpeggios, and there again Reason shines with all the players. I never could compose that way in Reaper because I never found any satisfactory VST tools to do that. SequencerMegaBaby and BlueArp (I tried to use both) are powerful, but not very user-friendly. Reason's players are much better in that regard.

I also actually like the simplicity of Reason's main sequencer. What basic DAW things do you miss in Reason?
-------

Danilo Villanova
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Oct 2022
Danilo Villanova wrote:
21 Oct 2022
I'm not missing anything in Reason so far, but that could be related to the kinds of music I do and how I work. I make progrock where I basically record everything by playing it, and having the rack for processing during the mixing session is much more fun than opening up VST windows in Reaper. I also do spacewave/synthwave projects, where I make heavy use of sequencers and arpeggios, and there again Reason shines with all the players. I never could compose that way in Reaper because I never found any satisfactory VST tools to do that. SequencerMegaBaby and BlueArp (I tried to use both) are powerful, but not very user-friendly. Reason's players are much better in that regard.

I also actually like the simplicity of Reason's main sequencer. What basic DAW things do you miss in Reason?
Oh man, MegaBaby and BlueArp are great, but they are horrendous to use compared to the players. So far, my biggest gripe is not being able to join MIDI notes like you can join clips. I'm also having trouble eliminating note overlap in the piano roll using the legato functions, but I guess I need to explore them more. Apart from that, I'm eagerly waiting for VST3 support because I install must of my plugins in VST3 only and I would hate to install them all over again. And track freeze is something that I use a lot in other DAWs, how are you dealing with that (if at all)?

crimsonwarlock

22 Oct 2022

Danilo Villanova wrote:
22 Oct 2022
So far, my biggest gripe is not being able to join MIDI notes like you can join clips. I'm also having trouble eliminating note overlap in the piano roll using the legato functions, but I guess I need to explore them more.
I don't run into these problems very often, so basically just work it until it's fine works for me. Note merge would be nice to have, but not having that isn't even a minor annoyance to me.
Danilo Villanova wrote:
22 Oct 2022
Apart from that, I'm eagerly waiting for VST3 support because I install must of my plugins in VST3 only and I would hate to install them all over again. And track freeze is something that I use a lot in other DAWs, how are you dealing with that (if at all)?
One of the reasons for me to switch to Reason is its rack. I really hated to have dozens of floating VST plugin windows open in Reaper. Try mixing SSL-desk style (like Reason has) in Reaper :shock:

Since I moved to Reason I've replaced VST plugins with RE alternatives as much as possible. What's left is just a handful of VST plugins, like FreeVerbToo, that I don't have a suitable alternative for. But those are actually all older plugins in VST2 format. That's why I build these combinators, so I can use them nicely in the rack.

But I don't want to derail my own topic here too much, so if you want to continue this discussion, start a new topic for it, and I'll get in there as well. Meanwhile, I've updated the graphics for this combinator, as I never really liked that plain green background. I'm going to update this topic with the new version tomorrow :puf_smile:
-------

crimsonwarlock

23 Oct 2022

This was one of the first VST-wrappers I did. I wanted to keep some relation to the embedded plugin, so I made it plain green. But I was never happy with it, as it is totally uninspiring, at least to myself.

Time to do a bit better. And it has screws now, so it will stay in place in the rack better :puf_bigsmile:

Screenshot freeverbtoo v2.jpg
Screenshot freeverbtoo v2.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

It looks a lot better in the rack now. I've updated the OP, the download for the updated version is there as well.

I've left the original design screenshot there for 'reference' :puf_wink:
-------

zumBeispiel

23 Oct 2022

:thumbup:
much better, thanks

crimsonwarlock

23 Oct 2022

zumBeispiel wrote:
23 Oct 2022
:thumbup:
much better, thanks
Thank you for the :thumbup:
-------

• Information