Are Miroslav actually better than orkestor

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Termigator

15 Oct 2022

a lot of people say they are but i’m not convinced

i actually only have the symphonic refill which is a best of miroslav apparently

but some of the combinator patches in reasonsounds sounds good me
to

come
to think of it does anyone actually know if propellerheads
recorded players or just copied the sounds from someone else

and why can’t they get a new modern string ensemble like ableton and bitwig now have
don’t get me wrong i like the patches in the sound and loek lord of the strings and rich strings

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2022

Imo different string refills or string REs are good for different things. I haven’t tried miroslav myself though so I can’t speak on that.

I suspect more strings is not a priority for Reason Studios at the moment. There are already a few REs to choose from. For example Friktion by RS. Stringwerk. ProjectSam. I have these 3 and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2022

There used to be the Garritan Personal Orchestra Refill, but I think it's discontinued now.

REs are capable of matching Kontakt libraries (apart from the streaming), and can even be created from Kontakt patches. But the Miroslav Refill is probably about as far as you can take orchestral Refills. Now that we have VSTs, it's best to just get a plugin.

Termigator

15 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
15 Oct 2022
There used to be the Garritan Personal Orchestra Refill, but I think it's discontinued now.

REs are capable of matching Kontakt libraries (apart from the streaming), and can even be created from Kontakt patches. But the Miroslav Refill is probably about as far as you can take orchestral Refills. Now that we have VSTs, it's best to just get a plugin.
yeah even the free stuff is way better

i got it in my head i just wanna use reason with no vst but i should just let that go
and use xln audio pianos
and orchestral tools sine and spitfire bbc and labs
that stuff is great and free
but hits the cpu more

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2022

IMHO, Miroslav is super dated, unless you get it for like 30 usd max, you're just throwing money away! I stil have it on my computer for legacy old projects but I don't use it anymore. On other hand i use some violin falls from the orkester! :) Miroslav is layered differently than the orkester, it has combinators for each section, effects, and so on. It also has a better offer on percursion instruments. Orkester has a bit more direct sound, so you-ll have to tweak it more. But again, i consider both of them legacy, super dated stuff.

At this moment, at least where sound is concerned, you'll be better off with Spitfire's BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover and later upgrading to Core (discover is free, you can get core on sales for about 200-300 usd/eur, and in time it's important to upgrade at least because the legato patches are way more natural in core than in discover, and you will have lots of additional articulations). However discover will get you going and you can do A LOT with it.

If you're into scoring, you will soon know it's good to have several different lybraries.

For example for more intimate string stuff i like to use StringWerk studio strings, but i don't like the way stuff was layered so i don't use them for scoring and more for strings acompanying pop stuff.
For solo violin and cello, i like the ones in Friktion played with my EWI, it comes super natural.
For Orchestral projects, i'd use BBC Core, with some stuff from my old East West Orchestra gold (mainly brass instruments, because i feel BBC lacks strenght on some of the brass like the trombones).

If you check composer forums, you'll start seing that most of them don't have one single Orchestra and they use a bulk of orchestral VST's from Kontact to spitfire, to East West to Vienna Ensemble.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
15 Oct 2022

Garritan was even more limited than Miroslav...
avasopht wrote:
15 Oct 2022
Well, the fact kontact libraries stream from HD/SSD is imho super important, or you'd need 128 GB to load a full orchestral template. Streamming is what allows me to load a full KeySwitching template from East West Orchestra gold or Spitfire BBC, and even the best string RE in reason's world doesn't that - Stringwerk has 8 ks slots for a full orchestra keyboard. Does not compare to 20+ articulations on each instrument of a full orchestra...

selig
RE Developer

16 Oct 2022

Back in the dark ages before VST (and thus access to Kontakt) the best I came up with was a layering of Miroslav and Orkester - they seemed to fill in the gaps for each other nicely.
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
16 Oct 2022
Back in the dark ages before VST (and thus access to Kontakt) the best I came up with was a layering of Miroslav and Orkester - they seemed to fill in the gaps for each other nicely.
Yep, but at that time, you already had East West Symphonic Orchestra on VST's with 20 KS per instrument. Not as good at legato phrasing for today's standard but ages away from what Orchester or even Miroslav could do!

Once reason got midi out, i started using my East West Composer patches (Symphonic Orchestra, Ra, Voices of Passion and StormDrums), and the quality of the samples was abismal.

• Information