Time management; organizer smart watches

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

13 Oct 2022

Obvious, yet easy to forget about! Being organized and managing time maximizes your efficiency.

And of course I practice none of the above! x D

So yeah, currently I'm looking into smart watches.

I only saw 1 traditional digital watch, that could store a couple of alarm times; and maybe those with useless calculator keyboards, so those are a no-go.

Then there are all kinds of cheapo "fitness" smart watches, that monitor everything I don't care about. Seriously, how could those accurately monitor blood pressure, heart rate, calorie burning, deep sleep, "girl health", blood oxigen?!?!

Cooler watches that have a camera, and are basically wrist smartphones, cost a fortune. Tempting, but no. Nonono. Not now.

I see that there are the ~50 EUR smart watches, that are less noname, though still these HUAWEI and XIAOMI stuff. They seem to at least support setting reminders, but no such thing like taking a voice note, or even typing in a short note of our own (maybe hand writing recognition could work on small screens).
Notifications, when connected with a phone... Ehh. Not sure how useful. I read some only give a glimpse into e-mail and whatnot.

Laughably, the kiddie phone watches are in the 100-50 EUR price range - why no adult ones?

But yeah, something that does the reminder and notes stuff, would be nice.
I see there are features that poke you every 3 minutes to get back to work. I guess that's not bad.
Huh, maybe drink 0,5 L water 5 times a day reminders could be good. No weeing reminder needed. : D
And it does have an advantage to have it ready on your wrist anytime.

Do you use a smart watch? Or a SIM/Wifi smart watch? Do they help improving your music making workflow? (Start/stop/break, etc reminders)

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2022

The Windows clock app has a pomerado feature built into it. I've thought about using it, but never had the time..
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

RobC

13 Oct 2022

deeplink wrote:
13 Oct 2022
The Windows clock app has a pomerado feature built into it. I've thought about using it, but never had the time..
: D

Sounds partly useful, but then a smart watch can poke one to get back to work, too, not just to take a break.
They seem like useful gadgets, but oddly are more "fitness" oriented than managing precious time.

I've been looking at a XIAOMI Redmi Watch 2 Lite. Seems alright and fairly priced in the almost rectangular/square style, which I prefer.

selig
RE Developer

13 Oct 2022

The only 'necessary' reminder I ever needed was a simple alarm to remind me to stop work and go home. This was less important the years I was single…I can so easily go into 'time warp' mode!
I just had it happen again a few days ago when I went out to my studio to shut it down, and an hour later I look up at the clock and am 'shocked' at the time warp I've just experienced (it literally felt like 5-10 minutes had passed). Luckily I have a partner that understands the "creative" process, and also I got some work done (yay!).
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

13 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
13 Oct 2022
The only 'necessary' reminder I ever needed was a simple alarm to remind me to stop work and go home. This was less important the years I was single…I can so easily go into 'time warp' mode!
I just had it happen again a few days ago when I went out to my studio to shut it down, and an hour later I look up at the clock and am 'shocked' at the time warp I've just experienced (it literally felt like 5-10 minutes had passed). Luckily I have a partner that understands the "creative" process, and also I got some work done (yay!).
I'm not saying that it's a must, but since it might improve the life of some of us, why not? : ) The better we do, the better our work life gets, too.

Oof, I always feel guilty when I get buried in work. Last time, I also lost track of time, testing my DAC and Headphone Amp - they blew my mind. x D

jam-s

13 Oct 2022

In reality most of those "smart" watches are dumb as brick when they are not paired to and in range of a smart phone. then the little screen is not very ergonomic so you tend to take out your phone most of the time for example to add a new contact or alarm. So in total I don't think they are particularly great but can be nice gimmick.

RobC

14 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
13 Oct 2022
In reality most of those "smart" watches are dumb as brick when they are not paired to and in range of a smart phone. then the little screen is not very ergonomic so you tend to take out your phone most of the time for example to add a new contact or alarm. So in total I don't think they are particularly great but can be nice gimmick.
I see that as a positive thing, because I waste less time on the phone then. Even when paired, it's limited, so I could focus on more important things.
Yeah, organizing would happen on my phone, but I usually leave my phone on my bed when at home.

RobC

23 Oct 2022

Alright, so far here's how it went:

- I get my daily minimum 2.5 L water intake
- I go to sleep at 23:00
- I brush my teeth regularly, keeping the 30 minute time after eating in mind (I do a mouth rinse with baking soda after eating though!)
- I only have 1 espresso a day
- I consume much less sugar

The alarms are bothersome on day 1 & 2, but you quickly adapt and forget about them.
I'm slowly adding more reminders.

I tried a bicycle ride workout; I guess it made it a bit more fun. Though I hated the vibration after each Km, eventhough I turned it off...

So yeah, these little shits have some use after all!

• Information