Reason 12.2.9 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Oct 2022
rgdaniel wrote:
11 Oct 2022
The last update 12.2.8 REMOVED the "Sort Selected Devices" feature (which I find indispensable for keeping projects organized) because it could corrupt reason files in some cases. Their exact word in the release notes was "yikes". They said they were working to get it back real soon. I will not be happy if I have to PAY to get it back in R13.
Seems to be working! I put in 3 devices in the rack, changed the order in the sequencer, selected and sorted and the rack mirrored the seq track order. So I guess it’s back?
Was not working in the last version, just tested it and now if I sort selected from the mixer, the MIXER channels are moved - so still not back to how it was before sadly. And what it does in the mixer is unacceptable in that it takes two groups of four tracks each feeding their own bus and alternates them with the bus channels at the end.
And I’m going to guess that the sort devices bug (which used to place devices ABOVE the hardware interface as witnessed on one of my live streams IIRC) has caused some important files to be corrupted. Need to dig deeper on that one before drawing my final conclusions…two steps forward, one step back! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2022

On a more positive note, the same song that would crawl to almost a halt plays PERFECTLY at a buffer of 64 samples at the default CPU setting on my new M1 Studio Max. The previous version needed 1024 sample buffers and turning off Multi-Core Rendering to play without glitches. Impressive performance indeed.
I should note that I’ve never been able to get 64 samples to play complex songs on any previous systems I’ve owned or worked on!
[there is some minor glitching with fast scrolling @ 64 samples, but none at higher buffer settings]
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

11 Oct 2022

deeplink wrote:
11 Oct 2022

Implemented Silent Login in Reason DAW so that when you choose to remember your credentials, Reason logs you in automatically
View more info about Silent Login here: https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 7145799698

I don't understand this.
When I open Reason 12.2.6, I get an Orange Reason Studios version # square that blips on for less than half a second before disappearing and continuing to open up Reason. I'm already logging in automatically.

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2022

stratatonic wrote:
11 Oct 2022
deeplink wrote:
11 Oct 2022

Implemented Silent Login in Reason DAW so that when you choose to remember your credentials, Reason logs you in automatically
View more info about Silent Login here: https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 7145799698

I don't understand this.
When I open Reason 12.2.6, I get an Orange Reason Studios version # square that blips on for less than half a second before disappearing and continuing to open up Reason. I'm already logging in automatically.
Sounds like you've authorised your computer.

If I'm not mistaken, for say an R+ user, there was always a login dialogue first.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

rgdaniel

11 Oct 2022

Maybe related to the sort devices thing, or maybe not, a bug I reported months ago still exists in 12.2.9 - If you create a new mixer channel, drag in any device, drop a Player above that device, then right click on the Mix channel in the Mixer view and select Duplicate Channels and Tracks, you get a mess. The original track loses its instrument, leaving an orphan Player, and the Duplicated new track has BOTH copies of the instrument. My workaround has been to ctrl-drag the mix channel to duplicate.

stratatonic

11 Oct 2022

deeplink wrote:
11 Oct 2022
stratatonic wrote:
11 Oct 2022

I don't understand this.
Sounds like you've authorised your computer.

If I'm not mistaken, for say an R+ user, there was always a login dialogue first.
So the Silent Login logs you in, in the background, when you are connected to the internet? It's for internet authorization?

guitfnky

11 Oct 2022

well I hope others are seeing some performance improvements, because I'm sure as hell not. 😔 getting used to disappointment.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

11 Oct 2022

guitfnky wrote:
11 Oct 2022
well I hope others are seeing some performance improvements, because I'm sure as hell not. 😔 getting used to disappointment.
Have you tried other settings?

From the notes:
If you are experiencing performance problems in Reason 12.2.9, try selecting another Max Audio Thread number, starting from the highest number and going down one number at a time until you get the best performance.

Ottostrom

11 Oct 2022

Having to change my audio preferences all the time was the last annoyance I had with R12 :)
Feeling pretty optimistic about the future for Reason

EnochLight

11 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2022
…two steps forward, one step back! ;)
…two steps forward, one step back is still one step forward... so.. progress! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

11 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
11 Oct 2022
selig wrote:
11 Oct 2022
…two steps forward, one step back! ;)
…two steps forward, one step back is still one step forward... so.. progress! :lol:
Stalin would disagree :twisted:

Pepin

11 Oct 2022

Nice to see all these improvements :clap:

One thing I noticed if you're using machine authorization...
I was previously using it, but my password was also stored from logging in for RE trials in the past.
It seems like storing the password will now cause Reason to use internet authorization--even if your machine is authorized.
You have to remove the stored password in Preferences -> Account to use offline authorization.

If you actually have no internet connection, it may fall back to offline authorization even with the password stored. I haven't tested that.

stillifegaijin

11 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2022
On a more positive note, the same song that would crawl to almost a halt plays PERFECTLY at a buffer of 64 samples at the default CPU setting on my new M1 Studio Max. The previous version needed 1024 sample buffers and turning off Multi-Core Rendering to play without glitches. Impressive performance indeed.
I should note that I’ve never been able to get 64 samples to play complex songs on any previous systems I’ve owned or worked on!
[there is some minor glitching with fast scrolling @ 64 samples, but none at higher buffer settings]
Same here. I just tested a mix that used to struggle at a 4096 buffer size on my Mac Studio and it runs perfectly now at a 64 buffer size. And like you, I have never been able to get any mix to run at 64 before. It's impressive.

helmutson

11 Oct 2022

I'm on a M1 Mac mini and I must correct my first enthusiastic impressions. The performance is bad. I mean, real bad. Its simply not possible playing sample based patches without artifacts. I used every possible settings in the audio preferences window, not good . The version before has not that problem. Just to make it clear , its ONLY when I play live. Recorded sequences didn't have the problem. For playback only, the performance is really much better that before, but getting this for the price of a new problem ?
There are still a lot of these little GUI misplacements. In the transport bar too ... :(

EnochLight

11 Oct 2022

helmutson wrote:
11 Oct 2022
I'm on a M1 Mac mini and I must correct my first enthusiastic impressions. The performance is bad. I mean, real bad. Its simply not possible playing sample based patches without artifacts. I used every possible settings in the audio preferences window, not good . The version before has not that problem. Just to make it clear , its ONLY when I play live. Recorded sequences didn't have the problem. For playback only, the performance is really much better that before, but getting this for the price of a new problem ?
Yeah that's truly strange. Perhaps reach out to support and see if they can get to the bottom of it? That said, what is the difference between "play live" and playing back "recorded sequences"? I don't understand what you are doing in these two scenarios that would be vastly different. Unless receiving MIDI data is the culprit?
helmutson wrote:
11 Oct 2022
There are still a lot of these little GUI misplacements. In the transport bar too ... :(
Is this just a Mac thing? I'm on Win 10 using the Dark theme and everything looks fine on the transport bar, and I can't find any GUI misplacements. Not saying they're not there, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

helmutson

11 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
11 Oct 2022
helmutson wrote:
11 Oct 2022
Yeah that's truly strange. Perhaps reach out to support and see if they can get to the bottom of it? That said, what is the difference between "play live" and playing back "recorded sequences"? I don't understand what you are doing in these two scenarios that would be vastly different. Unless receiving MIDI data is the culprit?
helmutson wrote:
11 Oct 2022
Is this just a Mac thing? I'm on Win 10 using the Dark theme and everything looks fine on the transport bar, and I can't find any GUI misplacements. Not saying they're not there, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Yes that GUI thing is not that problematic, it's not nice, but maybe I can live with it, I got a bigger and better GUI on the other hand ;)
But these artifacts making me crazy, maybe I should try another run with different settings, I still have the hope that I'm doin' something wrong. Lets see ...otherwise, I'm going back to 12.2.8 :)

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

11 Oct 2022

helmutson wrote:
11 Oct 2022
Please report this to support. If it only happens with specifically playing sample based patches, it's unlikely to be directly related to the overall CPU performance and audio threading. There could be something else lurking so it'd be very helpful if you got in touch with support and included as much info as possible about your setup (computer specs, song file or patch, clear description of how and when the issue manifests itself etc.).

Thanks!

helmutson

11 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
11 Oct 2022
helmutson wrote:
11 Oct 2022
Please report this to support. If it only happens with specifically playing sample based patches, it's unlikely to be directly related to the overall CPU performance and audio threading. There could be something else lurking so it'd be very helpful if you got in touch with support and included as much info as possible about your setup (computer specs, song file or patch, clear description of how and when the issue manifests itself etc.).

Thanks!
Thank you, for fast response :)

Stamatz

11 Oct 2022

Very happy indeed with this update which addresses and fixes the graphical errors and other issues. Props to the Reason team for listening, the team seems to be hitting stride, two updates in two months, it's almost unheard of. That's a pretty good achievement and I mean that from the heart. Like Rich Strike in the final furlong, if you haven't seen the replay you really should. Keep up the great work Props/Reason Team. Totally Stoked!!
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

npinero1

11 Oct 2022

OMG. This is sooooooo much better performance!!!! No problems on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro.

THANK YOU!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2022

Hey just wondering if anyone is getting weird browser search behaviour? Specifically, mine has stopped working haha. Even searching Drum Supply for 'kick' nothing comes up. It just sits there. I'll try a restart maybe. Anyone else getting this?

andyhsong

11 Oct 2022

reason forever 👐

Arpeg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2022

Oh the Pain of unwanted glitches in visual and sound are now gone. Like Selig and others, I am reaching 64 buffer size, sample rate 48,000 and Max Threads just on Default on a track that had weird glitch problems before this update.
Using a i7 3770 3.4Ghz Win10 - Behringer UMC404HD - It seems flawless at the moment and now I can say it is the best it has been since I jumped back on the Reason ship in version 10.
No weird browser search behaviour, all seems fine atm. Hope folks get their problems sorted and get to experience a very up to par Reason 12.

scotward57

11 Oct 2022

I have the Akai MPK mini 3 and was hoping the bug fix on this release would get the auto detect feature of Remote to work correctly. But it didn't. And if I add it manually I get these errors:

Failed to load control surface: Akai, MPK mini mk3.
Map File Errors:
Line 13: Map entry with unknown control surface item.
Line 75: Map entry with unknown control surface item.
Line 148: Map entry with unknown control surface item.

I don't see any instructions that tell me if I need to do anything on the MPK mini 3 itself, like select a certain program setup/channel. Any guesses?

arnigretar

12 Oct 2022

Good update this.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information