Selig Audio October Live Stream Thursday Oct 6 20:00 UTC

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

05 Oct 2022

Time for another adventure in audio, Reason style. This month I'm diving shallow and diving deep, into the pool that is Side Chain.
Will cover the history, basic concepts, and as many of the different ways to side chain in Reason I can come up with (open to suggestions), and who knows what else will come up!

As always, first Thursday of the month at 20:00 UTC (currently 4pm EST in the US).

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeligAudio
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

06 Oct 2022

Sounds interesting. Always open to learn something.

I wont make into the live stream, but will check it later.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

06 Oct 2022

Would be interesting to see if you can convert me from just using PumpRE.
I find it the quickest simplest easiest to control method for subtle to full on pumping even works as a send fx ;)

AdamMon89

06 Oct 2022

I'll try drop by if I get the chance, would like to see side chaining possibilities in the program.
Behringer x32, NORD stage 3, MPC ONE, Reason 10

selig
RE Developer

06 Oct 2022

Going live in five, hope to see you there or see you later!
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

06 Oct 2022

Just checking the latest (workflow) and I happen to think that's a way way way sexier topic than sidechain 😂

Your studio... 😍😍😍

Billy+

07 Oct 2022

Interesting viewing but you haven't changed my method
100% PumpRE every time
I would be interested to know why you wouldn't use it ;)

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2022

Billy+ wrote:
07 Oct 2022
Interesting viewing but you haven't changed my method
100% PumpRE every time
I would be interested to know why you wouldn't use it ;)
For one, it's no longer available (for a while now).
For two, it only does one of the things I covered in the livestream, which is triggered envelope 'gating'. If your kick is audio, you would still have to use a Sweeper or similar to convert to CV (for audio ducking) or Gate (for envelope gating).
For three, you cannot draw your own curves, so right there it's 'out' for folks like me who prefer to be more 'hands on' (and even Sweeper doesn't do everything I'd like, including not supporting quantized drawing or multiple switchable patterns to name a few).
For four, I don't need traditional pumping on my tracks often, and there are many easy ways to do it with built in FX in Reason.

I realize I'm more 'hands on' than most, so I don't mind connecting a CV or additional audio cable from time to time. In fact, that's probably the thing I miss most when using a different DAW, and why the RRP is so handy in those cases!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Oct 2022
Just checking the latest (workflow) and I happen to think that's a way way way sexier topic than sidechain 😂

Your studio... 😍😍😍
Maybe next time, but first I have to clean up all the crap I keep pushing just out of camera range every month when it's time to live stream. Beyond that, a little dramatic lighting goes a long way to hide the little flaws…. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

07 Oct 2022

I see your point and would also like to state I'm not being an as* ;) I guess that it's definitely worth knowing that there's more than one option available but I stopped using them once I purchased PumpRE.

Ultimately I'm using sidechain for effect rather than necessity (ducking for kick space or rhythmic purpose) and I've never found any situation that it doesn't work.

FWIW.
Curve Settings

Shape
Select current envelope shape.
Pump has 64 predefined envelope shapes:
● 1-32 is intended for simulating sidechain input.
● 33-64 is various rhythmically gate shapes.

Floor
This sets the depth of the curve. The deeper the curve the less of the audio signal is let through and the more extreme pumping will be achieved. If floor is turned around to a positive value the envelope curve will be inverted.

Tension
This is used to skew the curve to either direction. Unlike Slide, Tension will not change the start and end points of the curve, but speed up or slow down as it runs through depending of the direction of the knob.

Slide
Slides the whole shape/curve to either direction.

Wrap
To be used with Slide. When this is enabled, the slided curve will wrap around at the edge of the display.

Smooth
Sometimes, especially when using the Gate shapes, there can be heard some pops and clicks in the sound if the volume is changed to quickly. This setting decides how fast the volume changes between each step. At its lowest value the volume change will happen almost instantly, this may produce clicks. At it’s highest setting the change of volume will be slow and sound very soft.

Trigger
There are four ways to trigger Pump:

● Transport
This will sync Pump to the current play position. This is perfect if you want the ducking/gate effect to be consistant over the whole track. Typically used for 4/4 ducking.

● Note Trig
This can be used if you want to control exactly when Pump should be triggered:
1. Create a track for Pump: right click Pump and select «Create Track for Pump». A note lane will automatically be added to the new track.
2. Add notes in the Note lane. Every time a note is played, Pump will retrig and run through the whole envelope curve once and then stop.

● Note Gate
This is almost the same as Note Trig, but Pump will only run as long as a note is held down. Unlike Note Trig, Pump will stop in the middle of the curve if all notes is released. Pump will repeat the curve until every note is released.

● Gate In
Trigger Pump by gate CV signal from an external device. See G ate In section under CV routing.

Send Mode
This activates the unique send mode which enables Pump to be used as a send effect. Add Pump to one of the FX Send channels and adjust the send amount for each channel you want to duck.
The “magic” behind the Send Mode is phase cancellation. The incoming audio signal is phase inverted and also an inverted version of the curve is applied. This means that the more signal is sent through the more it cancels out the original signal.
Be aware that when the signal sent to FX send gets louder than the original signal, the phase inverted audio signal will replace the original and the ducking will have the opposite effect.
Which basically covers all and more than I'm after with ease..

• Information