Selig Audio August Live Stream Thursday Aug 4 20:00 UTC

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

04 Aug 2022

Hi again, time for another live stream ramble, and this time it's gonna get technical. Math and stuff. And in Reason!

https://youtube.com/user/SeligAudio

I will explore a recent Combinator I built (dynamic reverb effect) using a different approach to having an audio signal modulate a knob/fader. Normally you set your knob in the 'starting' position, then add modulation by percent, increasing until you hit the desired sweet spot. In this common approach we don't actually know exactly how high the modulation is causing the knob's parameter to go, we set it by ear. But what if you already knew how far you wanted it to travel? Wouldn't it be easier in this case to just set the start and end point for modulation rather than the start and depth percentage?

That's where this second approach to modulation comes in handy. With the typical approach outlined above, the two controls are the initial setting of the parameter being modulated, and the depth control. In this new approach you still have the knob for the initial level, but instead of a depth control you have a 'destination' control. This allows you to define the exact setting the modulation will be at when at it's max, rather than some arbitrary percentage of the original modulation signal.

In the live stream we'll be looking at a real example, dynamic decay on a reverb, and I'll show you how I worked my way from initial idea to final implementation. Join me for the live stream in a few hours or catch up later!

Update:
Get it HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckn2fs9u4fvrn ... b.cmb?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

04 Aug 2022

Sounds interesting, most likely at least gonna listen while working.

moofi

04 Aug 2022

At least assuming it already started, how can I find the actual livestream?

EDIT: I see, two more hours to go :-D

selig
RE Developer

04 Aug 2022

Going live in five yall…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

04 Aug 2022

Very nice stream and very nice Combinator :thumbs_up:
That´s exactly the area of math I like to fiddle in aswell :-D
Looking forward to its release.

Signature quote btw "Yes, I got it all in one Thor" :-D

Regarding the "hidden" knob why don´t you simply just hide the knob by placing it within the hidden units of a bigger Combinator?

In the beginning you mentioned the summing of CV or using the control knob input, then while certainly valid, the modulation via the control knob input results in stepped modulation (MIDI-values) and thus differs from using the Combinator´s CV-inputs.

Anyway, like said looking forward and also thank you for streaming.

selig
RE Developer

24 Aug 2022

moofi wrote:
04 Aug 2022

Regarding the "hidden" knob why don´t you simply just hide the knob by placing it within the hidden units of a bigger Combinator?

In the beginning you mentioned the summing of CV or using the control knob input, then while certainly valid, the modulation via the control knob input results in stepped modulation (MIDI-values) and thus differs from using the Combinator´s CV-inputs.

Ahh, I'm still learning new things about Reason after all these years. I checked and while there IS a decent amount of smoothing on the control knob CV input, I can still see the 'steps' vs using the newer CV inputs - but in my quick test I was unable to hear any difference when using an envelope to control level by both methods. I only noticed the steps after recording the audio to a new track and zooming in - great catch!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2022

Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

07 Sep 2022

Glad, I could shed some light :-) I noticed it back in the day when Sugar Bytes´ Pitch Delay had been released, while controlling the pitch knob via a Combinator. When using the rotary knob input, the modulation resulted in a pleasant bubbly sound (because it is stepped) that was suddenly gone when using the CV-input instead. Saying while it might not be noticeable on level modulation (though this might differ when modulating at audiorate, haven´t tested it yet but from modulation experiences I at least assume it´s becoming noticable even with volume levels), there are modulation targets where the difference is clearly audible anyway.
selig wrote:
24 Aug 2022
moofi wrote:
04 Aug 2022

Ahh, I'm still learning new things about Reason after all these years. I checked and while there IS a decent amount of smoothing on the control knob CV input, I can still see the 'steps' vs using the newer CV inputs - but in my quick test I was unable to hear any difference when using an envelope to control level by both methods. I only noticed the steps after recording the audio to a new track and zooming in - great catch!

moofi

07 Sep 2022

Thank you very much. Haven´t tested it yet because I´m currently busy, then I already downloaded it for potential pleasures :-)
Could aswell work very well for a song I´m working on.
selig wrote:
26 Aug 2022
Update:
Get it HERE:

tomusurp

13 Sep 2022

Selig I watched most of this livestream but honestly it would be so much easier if you could make a shorter video with an empty Reason rack and from scratch show how to create both a decay ducker and a general ducker, especially for vocals, but also for anything else, both as a send and for individual tracks. Maybe also show a simpler setup and then a more advanced one like your combinator. It's hard for me to follow the livestream video because everything is already setup and I don't see the beginning to end learning factor.

If you have the time, I will even pay if you can make a video like this so I can learn this. So basically an outline:

Video Chapters:
(Decay)
1. Create BASIC send effect to duck decay for vocals
2. Create ADVANCED send effect to duck decay for vocals
3. Create both basic and advanced insert fx on individual track to duck decay

(General Reverb)
1. Create BASIC send effect to duck reverb for vocals
2. Create ADVANCED send effect to duck reverb for vocals
3. Create both basic and advanced insert fx on individual track to duck reverb

By the way does it matter if it's vocals or other instruments, or do these ducking connections apply for all instruments? Lastly I demoed your combinator on a send for a vocal take and WOW truly incredible.
selig wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Hi again, time for another live stream ramble, and this time it's gonna get technical. Math and stuff. And in Reason!

https://youtube.com/user/SeligAudio

I will explore a recent Combinator I built (dynamic reverb effect) using a different approach to having an audio signal modulate a knob/fader. Normally you set your knob in the 'starting' position, then add modulation by percent, increasing until you hit the desired sweet spot. In this common approach we don't actually know exactly how high the modulation is causing the knob's parameter to go, we set it by ear. But what if you already knew how far you wanted it to travel? Wouldn't it be easier in this case to just set the start and end point for modulation rather than the start and depth percentage?

That's where this second approach to modulation comes in handy. With the typical approach outlined above, the two controls are the initial setting of the parameter being modulated, and the depth control. In this new approach you still have the knob for the initial level, but instead of a depth control you have a 'destination' control. This allows you to define the exact setting the modulation will be at when at it's max, rather than some arbitrary percentage of the original modulation signal.

In the live stream we'll be looking at a real example, dynamic decay on a reverb, and I'll show you how I worked my way from initial idea to final implementation. Join me for the live stream in a few hours or catch up later!

Update:
Get it HERE:
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

RobC

01 Oct 2022

Next one when?

And do you already have a topic? Because it would be cool to wrap up the whole sample rate and oversampling thing. I'm sure, more people misunderstand it, than we think. Heck, even I still need to be 100% sure about understanding a few things correctly.

• Information