The VSTs you would like to have in Rack extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Overtherainbow

13 Sep 2022

1. AR TG mastering chain
2. LA-2A
3. brass physical modelling
Last edited by Overtherainbow on 13 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2022

selig wrote:
27 Feb 2022

Well, there is the huge (IMO) and total lack of displays of any sort, from simple LEDs to more elaborate meters or custom displays. This makes even simple things like switching between different filter types (need radio buttons, stepped controls, or popup menus), to more complex things like seeing the waveform of an LFO quite impossible, not to mention any level of visual feedback...
And not forgetting the fact all Reason Re's and samplers until today STILL load everything into ram. That might not seem important but with big orchestral stuff you need hdstreamming.

jonnyretina

13 Sep 2022

Kilsane wrote:
16 Feb 2022
And you which VST of which you would like an equivalent in Rack extensions ?
Auto-Tune Reason is nice but it would be wonderful if Antares and Reason Studios ported Auto-Tune Pro to RE format too - those finer controls for the auto-tuning parameters would be great to have.

strangers
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2022

Waldorf Largo and I wouldn't ask Santa for anything else... this year.

Iapetus 9

13 Sep 2022

None.

If I want the VST in my rack then I'll use the VST. I'd prefer if RE's keep doing their own thing and use the format to its strengths with lots of CV options. That said, I'd love some of the VCV sequencers in RE form, and more Mutable Instruments type stuff like Macro.
38L > 51D every time.

ab459

14 Sep 2022

Mainly i agree with above that no see a much sense have the same in RE. The only thing perhaps, would be interesting to check how would do some spectral processing stuff in RE (like inagrm, DtBlkFx etc.) As well maybe some image to sound experimental conversion tool. What would be desirable to see from well-known RE authors, given their experience in all sorts of complex designs. Who knows, it might turn out to be something fresh.
Btw, is there is any spectral \ fft stuff in RE ? It seems no. Nearest thing that can remember is certain mode in Grain, but it not count.

xs23t7x

21 Sep 2022

It would be feasible for Reason Studios to adopt Sonic Charge Synplant & Microtonic into Reason as rack extensions. I couldn't think of any better plugin instruments than those 2 for Reason. As far as effects go the whole line of Unfiltered Audio plugins would be a wonderful addition to Reason. I should add that Unfiltered Audio & Sonic Charge already have a few Rack Extensions on Reason currently! The RE's might come out some day that I want adapted to Reason. :puf_smile:

AdamMon89

22 Sep 2022

PaulXstretch , I can only mess with it in cakewalk at the moment until VST3 support comes.
Behringer x32, NORD stage 3, MPC ONE, Reason 10

rsnsnds

26 Sep 2022

Is there an extension that plays midi files that you can load from disk and it transposes them to the key of the song ?

If not, I would like midiLooper VST as a RE

I'm new here, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post links, but I'll try:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/midilo ... t-piz-here

The link is to the KVR website

I know there are the player devices in Reason, but I think that the plugin would allow for a different workflow and maybe another way to create songs.

jam-s

26 Sep 2022

Rack Extensions cannot load arbitrary files (like MIDI) so this kind of player is not possible with the current version of the RE SDK and I would not bet on this restriction to be removed soon.

Jac459

26 Sep 2022

ireidt wrote:
24 Feb 2022
For me, anything Izotope, NI, and waves. That being said, the floating window thing doesn't bother me but I started in Pro Tools so maybe I'm used to floating windows.
Floating windows is what I was thinking when I was using reason as a DAW.
Now using biwig, I have a shortcut key showing or hiding the vst. It is way quicker and immediate.
Touching a key insteed of scrolling with the mouse...

For RE, I would say obviously vital... And maybe pigments.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

26 Sep 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
26 Sep 2022
Is there an extension that plays midi files that you can load from disk and it transposes them to the key of the song ?
The NoteSet player might be able to do what you want:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... or-filter/

You need to load the midi into an instrument track and use something like Player Tap to route the midi into NoteSet.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

rsnsnds

26 Sep 2022

jam-s wrote:
26 Sep 2022
Rack Extensions cannot load arbitrary files (like MIDI) so this kind of player is not possible with the current version of the RE SDK and I would not bet on this restriction to be removed soon.
Oh, I understand, didn't know about that restriction.

rsnsnds

26 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Sep 2022
rsnsnds wrote:
26 Sep 2022

You need to load the midi into an instrument track and use something like Player Tap to route the midi into NoteSet.

Thanks, I'll check it out and see if it has the features I'm looking for

MuttReason

26 Sep 2022

Haven’t read whole thread so apologies if already listed but… I’d love it if U-he brought Repro to the RE format. Plugin is awesome but combined with Reason CV goodness in RE format would be outstanding.

Stygian Abyss

28 Sep 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
26 Sep 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Sep 2022

I may not have understood correctly what rsnsnds wants to do, but if he just wants to transpose a MIDI file to another key and scale, all he needs to do is to add the free Rack Extension AB Transpose and Scales and Chords Players above the instrument that plays the MIDI track, and use automation when a modulation is needed.

I rsnsnds wants a playing MIDI file to be altered to fit a chord progression played live or from another MIDI track, then crimsonwarlock is right, NoteSet is needed. But I have never been able to make CV Player Tap work correctly with it, even with MoPol added between them to merge CVPT's outputs. The results I obtained were almost random notes. CVPT is probably not suitable for this task because it outputs only one note per Note/Gate pair.

Two solutions work for me.

1) Put the MIDI file on a track with a NoteSet above the instrument that will play the transposed version. Create another track with a RPG-8, disable its arpeggiator function and connect its Note/Gate output pair to NoteSet. This will be your chord progression track that will correct the other's output. You may need to put RPG-8 into a Combinator if you want to add Players above it or feed him with notes using Note/Gate connections.

2) Put the MIDI file on a track with a NoteSet above the instrument that will play the transposed version. Create the control track with a MIDI-CV Converter Rack Extension Player above an empty Combinator, connect one of its Note/Gate output pairs to NoteSet and disable the PolyCV function on the back of MIDI-CV Converter, as NoteSet is not PolyCV compatible. This will be your chord progression track that will correct the other's output.

The second method is the one I use to correct the output of Bass Line Generator with chord progressions played live from Chord Sequencer. It works perfectly and is really nice to experiment new ideas.

rsnsnds

28 Sep 2022

Stygian Abyss wrote:
28 Sep 2022
rsnsnds wrote:
26 Sep 2022

I may not have understood correctly what rsnsnds wants to do, but if he just wants to transpose a MIDI file to another key and scale, all he needs to do is to add the free Rack Extension AB Transpose and Scales and Chords Players above the instrument that plays the MIDI track, and use automation when a modulation is needed.

I rsnsnds wants a playing MIDI file to be altered to fit a chord progression played live or from another MIDI track, then crimsonwarlock is right, NoteSet is needed. But I have never been able to make CV Player Tap work correctly with it, even with MoPol added between them to merge CVPT's outputs. The results I obtained were almost random notes. CVPT is probably not suitable for this task because it outputs only one note per Note/Gate pair.

Two solutions work for me.

1) Put the MIDI file on a track with a NoteSet above the instrument that will play the transposed version. Create another track with a RPG-8, disable its arpeggiator function and connect its Note/Gate output pair to NoteSet. This will be your chord progression track that will correct the other's output. You may need to put RPG-8 into a Combinator if you want to add Players above it or feed him with notes using Note/Gate connections.

2) Put the MIDI file on a track with a NoteSet above the instrument that will play the transposed version. Create the control track with a MIDI-CV Converter Rack Extension Player above an empty Combinator, connect one of its Note/Gate output pairs to NoteSet and disable the PolyCV function on the back of MIDI-CV Converter, as NoteSet is not PolyCV compatible. This will be your chord progression track that will correct the other's output.

The second method is the one I use to correct the output of Bass Line Generator with chord progressions played live from Chord Sequencer. It works perfectly and is really nice to experiment new ideas.

Wow, thanks for the tips !

I have a lot of things to try and configure

jonnyretina

29 Sep 2022

Would be great to have Sonic Charge Permut8 as a Rack Extension but would probably need a new more powerful version of the RE SDK before it could happen.

• Information