How can I get all these Studio One benefits?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2022

I've heard a few Reason users say they've migrated to S1, and that they're not missing anything from Reason (plus they can use RRP for Reason-specific stuff).

But I've tried a few times, and I'm just struggling to get it.

I've even invested in some S1 hardware (channel strip).

I might have had the same gripe I had with Live - the way it handles me dragging in a folder of drum samples. Live was able to do it but did it in the least preferable way, and they are slow to load. S1 lacked a few key features for turning all those multisamples into a patch in a way Reason could with ease (can't remember exactly what it was). Of course, I have better samplers than NNXT and NN19 as VSTs, but those NN* samplers (along with pretty much all of Reason's) seem to have some good ease of use features (even if there are many bugbears).

FLStudio, Live and Bitwig seem to offer a smoother experience when creating multi-sampled instruments.

On the other hand, S1 has lots of other good features, and maybe my only contention is which set of tradeoffs I prefer (especially with RRP).

Since Maschine has been central to my process, the use of S1 and Reason for mixing, arranging or even hosting are pretty random and arbitrary, but I'd like to see if I can squeeze more out of Reason and/or S1.

QVprod

18 Sep 2022

I think you’d have to buy the Presence XT editor to do what you want to do in S1. I don’t have it though so I’m guessing here. Sadly they made it a separate purchase. Sample one is nice but fairly basic.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

Hold on ... this Presence XT editor loads Kontakt patches ... and has JavaScript-based scripting ... ... ...

Plus their entire library is only 140 GB (so I can easily make space for that if I need to) ... ...

Hmm ... ... not that I need/want it, but I'd like to see what it's like to use. Especially since it's got deeper integration with the editor where you can select articulations on a per-note basis (which trumps pretty much everything else available right now).

Cool ...

rsnsnds

27 Sep 2022

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Presence XT editor loads Kontakt patches
I don't think it can load recent Kontakt libraries, since on the presonus website it states that it loads "unprotected" Kontakt libraries

As far as I know all the Kontakt libraries since version 3 are protected

DaveyG

27 Sep 2022

In Studio One both Impact XT, (the drum pad thing) and Sample One XT (the sampler) support drag and drop of multiple files at once, or a folder containing those files. Impact XT will allocate them to successive pads if you hold down SHIFT whilst dropping them. Sample One XT will allocate them to successive keys starting at C1. It that's not what you wanted you can rearrange the mapping by dragging them around in a piano roll style window. Sample One XT will also automatically slice a single sample and assign the slices to separate keys if you hold SHIFT whilst dropping it.

Sample One XT is much underrated but does lack a few features like round robin and velocity layers. Impact XT has both of these but not at the same time on the same pad. They both have a nifty feature of being able to load the next/previous sample from the same folder so it is very quick to change the sample assignments. They both have individual pitch, filter, amp and LFO for each sample/keyzone. They both interact really nicely with the main DAW view. You can right-click on any audio clip and send it to Impact XT of Sample One XT.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
27 Sep 2022
I don't think it can load recent Kontakt libraries, since on the presonus website it states that it loads "unprotected" Kontakt libraries

Kontakt libraries are only protected for sound creators who pay for it.

The same capability is available to RE developers (via ... can't remember what it's called). Anyway, lots of RE romplers use it, and some of the orchestral REs are ports from their orchestral Kontakt libraries (that used to be distributed by Native Instruments ... think it still might be).

My interest was more in the capability.

Basically, if it can load Kontakt patches, it can load patches, at the very least it has feature parity.

rsnsnds

28 Sep 2022

avasopht wrote:
27 Sep 2022
rsnsnds wrote:
27 Sep 2022

Kontakt libraries are only protected for sound creators who pay for it.

Really ?

Didn't know that.

My comment was just an aside, a simple observation

I like Studio one and also its sampler

• Information