Reason sells?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
integerpoet

18 Sep 2022

While killing time on KVR , I noticed a thing.

If I look at favorite plug-in hosts, Reason comes in at #9. And KVR doesn't even sell rack extensions!

If I look at favorite plug-ins, Reason comes in at #8. So it's apparently doing pretty well that way.

I'll avoid deep-sounding speculation about the meaning of these things because I'm sure there will be no shortage of that in the replies.

My only point here is that I had gotten the sense from some of the moaning on this forum that Reason was off in the noise, popularity-wise.

But it turns out that impression was wrong. And I find that pleasing.

Steedus
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

Yeah this place is sometimes kinda like some audiophile forums I see, where while discussing a cassette deck for example, they'll spend 10's of pages arguing if some highly specific audio test was valid or not because the azimuth could've been off by a fraction of a fraction of a millimetre.

To the vast majority of people it just doesn't matter.

Heater

19 Sep 2022

integerpoet wrote:
18 Sep 2022
If I look at favorite plug-in hosts, Reason comes in at #9. And KVR doesn't even sell rack extensions!
That doesn't sound that great. There are 8 DAWs that folks think are better.

If you look at rankings in KVR, Reason doesn't even make it to the top 10 hosts.

Mataya

19 Sep 2022

That's because most of people will answer Lion is the King, then a Tiger, then a Hippo, a Bear is the strongest...while Reason is a great white Shark. Just worrying that it will become a T-Rex.

M

LittleBoy

19 Sep 2022

My apologies, I duplicated.
Last edited by LittleBoy on 19 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBoy

19 Sep 2022

integerpoet wrote:
18 Sep 2022

If I look at favorite plug-ins, Reason comes in at #8. So it's apparently doing pretty well that way.

I'll avoid deep-sounding speculation about the meaning of these things because I'm sure there will be no shortage of that in the replies.

My only point here is that I had gotten the sense from some of the moaning on this forum that Reason was off in the noise, popularity-wise.

But it turns out that impression was wrong. And I find that pleasing.

If there were 60, 70 or 100 professional DAWs for sale, being in position 9 would be good news. But how many popular professional DAWs are there? Well then Reason is way down on that very short list.

challism

19 Sep 2022

LittleBoy wrote:
19 Sep 2022
integerpoet wrote:
18 Sep 2022

If there were 60, 70 or 100 professional DAWs for sale, being in position 9 would be good news. But how many popular professional DAWs are there? Well then Reason is way down on that very short list.
Nowhere to go but up?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

19 Sep 2022

Heater wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Popularity is a strange thing. It rarely means people think something is better. In most cases, it means that people think that other people use it because the other people think it is better. It's turtles all the way down :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

19 Sep 2022

RRP at #8 among favorite plugins? That IS a good position!

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

I am not surprised to see these results and don't think they are bad in anyway.

Lots of people I know used to use reason rewired into logic etc so may not even consider it their daw when completing polls. Seems to be a lot of daw choices now and have always felt reason was more niche compared to Pro tools, cubase, logic, live etc which seemed the popular choices when I first bought reason.

Being niche does not mean its not great. It just means it comes 8th or 9th in polls 😂

RobC

19 Sep 2022

Steedus wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Yeah this place is sometimes kinda like some audiophile forums I see, where while discussing a cassette deck for example, they'll spend 10's of pages arguing if some highly specific audio test was valid or not because the azimuth could've been off by a fraction of a fraction of a millimetre.

To the vast majority of people it just doesn't matter.
It's not necessarily always a useless discussion, just because most people don't care about something.

Sometimes a tiny mistake or misunderstanding could wreck an otherwise good plugin; or worse, permanently destroy a whole sample pack, for example.

Heater

19 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Nowhere to go but up?
Actually the opposite. Newer DAWs have launched and already jumped ahead of Reason.
crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Sep 2022
It's turtles all the way down :puf_bigsmile:
I do love that expression.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

Well, let's look at this list for plug-in hosts:

1. Live - we already knew that
2. FL Studio - ditto
3. Reaper - ooooo kay
4. Cubase Pro - already knew that
5. Logic Pro - ditto
6. Bitwig - I can understand that
7. energyXT - ?? huh ??
8. Studio One Professional
9. Reason
10. Maschine
19. Pro Tools - Perpetual

Something's got to be #9 and #10 ... it just happened to be Reason and Maschine. Sonar, Ardour and MPC Beats didn't make the top #20.

#9 isn't too bad

Right now Reason and Maschine are my go-to hosts (with a little dabbling in Studio One). There are one or two plugins that come with FLStudio that I might want to get my hands on.

mimidancer

19 Sep 2022

The number one reason most people choose a DAW is that it is what their close contacts use. I sometimes use live or protocols just to make colabs easier. But when I want to do something creative I start Reason. Reason devices have character. Reason has a personality. live and protools are like sugar-free vanilla icecream.

kitekrazy

19 Sep 2022

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Well, let's look at this list for plug-in hosts:

1. Live - we already knew that
2. FL Studio - ditto
3. Reaper - ooooo kay
4. Cubase Pro - already knew that
5. Logic Pro - ditto
6. Bitwig - I can understand that
7. energyXT - ?? huh ??
8. Studio One Professional
9. Reason
10. Maschine
19. Pro Tools - Perpetual

Something's got to be #9 and #10 ... it just happened to be Reason and Maschine. Sonar, Ardour and MPC Beats didn't make the top #20.

#9 isn't too bad

Right now Reason and Maschine are my go-to hosts (with a little dabbling in Studio One). There are one or two plugins that come with FLStudio that I might want to get my hands on.
I guess that's good enough not to rely on KVR as a valuable source. I guess some miss the old 32 bit days. It was unique when it came out since it was modular, a VST, and sold on a pen drive. It got a lot of it's use in the early days of Reaper when it was still an infant in midi.

It seems that nonprofessionals suffer from DAW insecurity issues because their DAW isn't the best. Pros who work in Pro Tools know there are other DAWs that do things better but they know the workflow so well. When DAWs try to be everything they sell themselves short in many areas. Many cater to different areas of music. A weekend band that likes to record isn't going to go for Live, FL, or Reason. Reaper probably works fine for them because of price and licensing. People who create music for video probably use Cubase. Some DAWs have their diehard fans.

I think what matters to developers is if what they offer can be matched in financial resources. I guess it Reason was a $1 along with the addons it might be in the top 5. They probably couldn't sustain that. Then you have outside companies wanting to buy it out and then ruin that. Few can ever be run like Image Line. Sometimes what happens is developers like Camel Audio take the big money and retire on continue working for their new boss.

Propellerhands

20 Sep 2022

In my opinion, Reason did not come "higher" on the list mostly because it did not support VSTs up until 2017 or something. Who wants to use a DAW where everything is only in one place and you can't buy this next BIG SYNTH from MegasonicS and use it in your DAW? Only absolute madmen, perhaps.

For me though it was part of the feature. It kept me focused more and I felt that I had everything I needed in R v.4.0.1 :lol: In fact, I think Reason was and still is the only DAW that has the best stock plugins inside it. One could argue "but Ableton!" yeah, but Ableton's GUI is like Windows 3.0, no thanks.

So yeah, I could bet my salary it is because of lack of VST support during the DAWN of DAWS.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

jlgrimes

21 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
20 Sep 2022
In my opinion, Reason did not come "higher" on the list mostly because it did not support VSTs up until 2017 or something. Who wants to use a DAW where everything is only in one place and you can't buy this next BIG SYNTH from MegasonicS and use it in your DAW? Only absolute madmen, perhaps.

For me though it was part of the feature. It kept me focused more and I felt that I had everything I needed in R v.4.0.1 :lol: In fact, I think Reason was and still is the only DAW that has the best stock plugins inside it. One could argue "but Ableton!" yeah, but Ableton's GUI is like Windows 3.0, no thanks.

So yeah, I could bet my salary it is because of lack of VST support during the DAWN of DAWS.

I agree. Reason was also late to the audio Recording game as well.

That said I feel Reason was alot more popular in the 2000s but it was always boxed in a special niche for itself, a self contained program for preproduction. Without audio recording and VSTs, it wasn't a DAW but it was highly useful especially in the 2000s as CPUs weren't as powerful, DAWS weren't as stable for pre production tasks.

Also one thing Reason excelled in that many DAWS struggle with (a great factory library). I bet this was a huge reason many went to Reason in the 2000s more than anything. You were pretty much getting a complete library of sounds, where many DAWS included sounds felt like maybe just a few good sounds, Reason basically felt like you were buying a $3000 mega 90s workstation synth that many mega producers used alone to produce bangers. Yet it had a great factory library, others liked the flexibility and ease of making your own sounds with its flexible synths, routing.

Propellerhands

21 Sep 2022

Yes, till this day I am amazed by the factory sounds in Reason, especially in Drum/Loops samples. While they kept all the older samples, they also added tons of new stuff over the decade and to me it felt like entirely new DAW when I went from v4 to v11 two years ago. So I stayed with it. But I'm just a lazy fanboy, what do I know :D
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

Jac459

22 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
20 Sep 2022
but Ableton's GUI is like Windows 3.0, no thanks.
I knew ableton was reminding me something.
You put the finger on it.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Heigen5

24 Sep 2022

I think there's lots and lots peeps who don't want to switch and LEARN a new DAW. So when Reason didn't do audio etc. then they chose another DAW than Reason. And now, they have learned Cubase, Live etc. and switching has no avail. But, if some users get a Reason flu then they might be the ones who fell in love with it. Reason flu was that strong in my case that I never left the boat.

mimidancer

26 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Heater wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Popularity is a strange thing. It rarely means people think something is better. In most cases, it means that people think that other people use it because the other people think it is better. It's turtles all the way down :puf_bigsmile:
I agree. quite a few content-starved YouTubers made the last release less than fun. I unfollowed all of them. I love mimic, and the new combinator kicks ass. the graphics are so much better than old reason.

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2022

On a somewhat related note of Reasons being relevant to other DAWs, I recently did a survey for Landr and one question was which DAW do you use? There were 10 options including “Other” and Reason wasn’t on the list.

DaveyG

27 Sep 2022

Steedus wrote:
26 Sep 2022
On a somewhat related note of Reasons being relevant to other DAWs, I recently did a survey for Landr and one question was which DAW do you use? There were 10 options including “Other” and Reason wasn’t on the list.
That's very often the case and it's the same with compatibility lists. They list DAWs you have forgotten about but not Reason! When Reason does get a mention it's usually because it doesn't support VST MIDI so it ends up next to Maschine 2 in the "Not Compatible" list.

tomusurp

29 Sep 2022

I will always love Reason because it's the first program that got me into making beats since very young. And I will always be making music on it because I've learned so much over the years which allows me to create unique music. One thing that really made Reason stand out is that it forces you to learn how to route cables like an analog studio, so you're learning both worlds of analog and digital.

With that said, I also started learning FL studio since a few weeks now and wow it's also incredible in its own right. The interface is incredibly beautiful and accessible. Everything loads up quicker and the workflow is very efficient (of course you have to study the tutorials and shortcuts which will expedite tasks even more).

But really to say one daw is better than another is a tough argument because there are so many different types of songs to be made and each of the top DAWs I'm sure give you more than enough options in this day and age. would VST3 support be cool in Reason? yes, but at the same token I kind of understand why they're holding off on it, because you're not really missing out. sure we can't use some plugins like Autotune, big deal
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

tomusurp

29 Sep 2022

also crimson made a good point. i think it also relates to a lot of stuff in life. for example all the teachers i study on youtube for audio engineering and related stuff are mostly small channels. they don't have the fancy lighting and camera like some bigger channels, but the difference is they actually teach unlike a lot of popular channels that just spew stuff for 90% of the video and barely teach anything (then they tell you to buy a masterclass)

point is i think some people shy away from reason, but you also must consider, well at least in America people will hover towards DAWs that are popular like here it is Pro Tools, FL Studio, Ableton, Logic, and that doesn't mean they are better.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information