Elohim (Cali-Style Beat)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
FrankJaeger

06 Sep 2022

What's up everyone?!
I've been on a music making binge lately and wanted to try something new. I'm from California but I usually make southern beats in the trap style. I almost NEVER make music that sounds like it comes from my region and wanted to take a crack at it. The track below is the resulting instrumental and I would really appreciate any feedback on it. If you're from Cali as well, or are familiar with music (hip-hop) that comes from here like Laudiano beats and Ron Ron, let me know that as well.

As always thank you for your time.

Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Propellerhands

08 Sep 2022

A bit more reverb, other effects on that right side piano, also punchier kick (funny because 99 times out of 100 people have over-produced kicks which overpower the rest of music) - and would be solid track. Full disclosure, I don't listen to beats/hip-hop style of music and hard to critique it for me. Only giving an honest outsider perspective. But yeah, would fix that piano, overal - good.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

FrankJaeger

12 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
08 Sep 2022
A bit more reverb, other effects on that right side piano, also punchier kick (funny because 99 times out of 100 people have over-produced kicks which overpower the rest of music) - and would be solid track. Full disclosure, I don't listen to beats/hip-hop style of music and hard to critique it for me. Only giving an honest outsider perspective. But yeah, would fix that piano, overal - good.
Firstly, thanks a ton for listening. I appreciate it.
I usually do make the kicks punchier but I really wanted the bass to be the focus in the low end for this one. And as for the pianos, I'm going to revisit and tweak those when I add vocals to the track.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2022

Hey I liked this. Got a good melodic vibe and enough interesting parts floating around to keep it fresh. I think the swing on the drums kinda took me out of the groove tho. Love the bass and I think having the drums more quantized would let the bass really steal the show. I’m from South Central LA by the way.

FrankJaeger

18 Sep 2022

Timmy Crowne wrote:
12 Sep 2022
Hey I liked this. Got a good melodic vibe and enough interesting parts floating around to keep it fresh. I think the swing on the drums kinda took me out of the groove tho. Love the bass and I think having the drums more quantized would let the bass really steal the show. I’m from South Central LA by the way.
Thanks for listening man, I appreciate it. I'm from San Diego by the way and that's where I got my influence from to be more specific on the "My Region" statement I made in the OP. I know LA has its own style too which differs from ours in some ways. Thanks for your input on the drums as well. I do my drums by hand on the key board a lot and only use moderate quantization if I think it needs it. Will listen to it more critically later if I decide to use it for something.
Midniite Music

teddymcw

19 Sep 2022

Ya, this is good. Track definitely has the darker more serious feel of a west coast trap beat if you will rather than the more player-style I like a little bit better but I'm sure you can do those vibes too and I'd love to hear them. It's obvious you know how to deliberately throw really good elements into your music and mix. I'm from Oakland but know some of the SD artists as well, big respect!

FrankJaeger

21 Sep 2022

teddymcw wrote:
19 Sep 2022
Ya, this is good. Track definitely has the darker more serious feel of a west coast trap beat if you will rather than the more player-style I like a little bit better but I'm sure you can do those vibes too and I'd love to hear them. It's obvious you know how to deliberately throw really good elements into your music and mix. I'm from Oakland but know some of the SD artists as well, big respect!
Man California's on here in force. :clap:
Thanks for listening and showing love. Peace.
Midniite Music

• Information