Using the latest CodeMeter software on macOS with Ignition Key

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pepin

15 Sep 2022

WARNING: Perform these steps at your own risk. Consider deauthorizing the Ignition Key beforehand and reauthorizing after completion.

I spent some time today trying to use my ignition key for the first time in years, under the latest macOS (Monterey 12.6). Here's what I found:
- CodeMeter dongles can be set to communicate as either Mass Storage Device (MSD) or Human Interface Device (HID).
- Communication via MSD requires a kernel extension, while HID does not.
- The USB Ignition Key is configured as MSD by default, and the CodeMeter software (version 7) linked on the Reason Studios website installs a kernel extension to support this.
- The latest CodeMeter software (version 7.51) linked on the Wibu website no longer installs a kernel extension and only supports communication via HID.

Though the dongle appeared to function, I didn't like the idea of relying on an unsupported kernel extension. In order to use the latest CodeMeter software, I had to update the firmware on the Ignition Key and then change its communication mode from MSD to HID.

To update the firmware:
- Open the CodeMeter app (still using the version provided by Reason Studios)
- Select the USB Ignition Key from the left sidebar (it's named CmStick by default)
- Click the circular arrow button beside Version to update its firmware
- The update takes a few minutes

To change communication mode from MSD to HID:
- From the CodeMeter app, copy the serial number of the USB Ignition Key
- Open Terminal
- Enter the following command and then unplug and replug the USB Ignition Key:

Code: Select all

cmu -s [Serial Number] --set-config-disk HidCommunication
At this point, you can update to the latest CodeMeter software from the Wibu site: https://www.wibu.com/us/support/user/do ... tware.html

For reference, I'm running an Intel mac and using the dongle that came with a boxed copy of Reason 6.
I'd be curious to know if the above instructions could allow the Ignition Key to work with an M1 mac.

mooseharris

15 Sep 2022

I still have an ignition key that's been dead to my mac for ages, and a rather sorry looking Balance (the 'felt' coating has all broken down with age, so it's a big, sticky ball of fluff these days). I can't add my licenses to either device. This might just be a solution, so thanks for posting.

One question, which version of Reason are you using? I stopped updating at 11 Suite. It's too late in the day to bother investing in 12 now, so I'm waiting for 13. I'm just interested to see which versions this process might support.

Pepin

15 Sep 2022

mooseharris wrote:
15 Sep 2022
One question, which version of Reason are you using?
I'm on version 12.

stillifegaijin

15 Sep 2022

Holy shit. You are my hero!! It works. It actually works. And I'm on an M1 Ultra Mac Studio running Monterey 12.6.

Why has no one at Reason Studios figured this out?

Pepin

15 Sep 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
15 Sep 2022
Holy shit. You are my hero!! It works. It actually works. And I'm on an M1 Ultra Mac Studio running Monterey 12.6.
Great to hear! I thought it might fix the M1 issues but couldn't verify it myself.

jonnyretina

16 Sep 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
15 Sep 2022
Why has no one at Reason Studios figured this out?
They've given up on Ignition Keys a long time ago. Don't even sell them on their website any more https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... scontinued

This is great work by Pepin though working out how to get a bit more life out of them yet!

mooseharris

17 Sep 2022

Pepin wrote:
15 Sep 2022
I'm on version 12.
Excellent, thank you. If it works with 12, then I imagine 11 should also be fine.

kurtg

18 Sep 2022

thank you Pepin, I'm on MacOS 12.6 (intel) and followed your procedure. It works :)

tobypearce

18 Sep 2022

The CodeMeter is working for me on a fresh install of Monterey and R12.
I don't remember having to do anything specific - it appeared to just work as plug and play. I was surprised and pleased.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Pepin

18 Sep 2022

tobypearce wrote:
18 Sep 2022
I don't remember having to do anything specific - it appeared to just work as plug and play. I was surprised and pleased.
Right - For now, these instructions are optional for Intel macs, as long as you use the CodeMeter version linked from the Reason Studios site.
The instructions are only needed if you want to remove the CodeMeter kernel extension.

M1 support definitely requires following these steps however, as there is no ARM build of the kernel extension afaik.

Or are you saying you got it working on M1 without updating?

dioxide

30 Sep 2022

Mr Pepin you have absolutely saved my ass with this. Thankyou a million times! :clap:

tobypearce

15 Oct 2022

Pepin wrote:
18 Sep 2022
tobypearce wrote:
18 Sep 2022
Right - For now, these instructions are optional for Intel macs, as long as you use the CodeMeter version linked from the Reason Studios site.
The instructions are only needed if you want to remove the CodeMeter kernel extension.

M1 support definitely requires following these steps however, as there is no ARM build of the kernel extension afaik.

Or are you saying you got it working on M1 without updating?
Yes: I didn't do anything at all.
It was a brand new machine and reason - of course - was the first thing I installed, so maybe that helped. I just went to the webpage and Reason Studios found the stick.
(I did find this curious and I wasn't expecting it to work, but that's the way it turned out!)

Pepin

15 Oct 2022

tobypearce wrote:
15 Oct 2022
It was a brand new machine and reason - of course - was the first thing I installed, so maybe that helped. I just went to the webpage and Reason Studios found the stick.
(I did find this curious and I wasn't expecting it to work, but that's the way it turned out!)
Interesting, that seems to imply the stick was already in HID mode (different hardware revision?) or CodeMeter was smart enough to change it for you automatically.

tobypearce

22 Oct 2022

Pepin wrote:
15 Oct 2022
tobypearce wrote:
15 Oct 2022
Interesting, that seems to imply the stick was already in HID mode (different hardware revision?) or CodeMeter was smart enough to change it for you automatically.
Yes: the former could well have been the case. I do recall having cause to change some settings on the stick on my old iMac and using codemeter software to do this.

MadGadget

31 Oct 2022

Hi Pepin,
Thanks for the excellent steps to do this, worked a treat on my iMac Pro running macOS Monterey and has given the ignition key new life.

Just thought I'd add to this trail about anyone thinking of doing this and macOS Ventura, which is now out.

Reason Studios have just posted up that Reason 12.2.8 and later is compatible with Ventura, but they have explicitly said that the Ignition key is NOT compatible.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -statement

Now, I haven't updated to Ventura yet, and I am wondering if this is a definitive 'no' to the ignition key, ie. this is finally the end and it stops working on Ventura (is that a macOS restriction?) or just they don't support it on Ventura, which would be along the same lines it has been for a while as in, they haven't supported the ignition key for a while.

I have another test Mac Pro running Monterey too, but that can't go to Ventura, so I can't test this just yet, but thought I would put it out there just in case.

kuhliloach

31 Oct 2022

with or without codemeter it just crashes Logic Pro unless I use Rosetta. Not sure if ignition key stuff would work or not because the software itself doesn't work

tobypearce

19 Nov 2022

MadGadget wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Hi Pepin,
Thanks for the excellent steps to do this, worked a treat on my iMac Pro running macOS Monterey and has given the ignition key new life.

Just thought I'd add to this trail about anyone thinking of doing this and macOS Ventura, which is now out.

Reason Studios have just posted up that Reason 12.2.8 and later is compatible with Ventura, but they have explicitly said that the Ignition key is NOT compatible.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -statement

Now, I haven't updated to Ventura yet, and I am wondering if this is a definitive 'no' to the ignition key, ie. this is finally the end and it stops working on Ventura (is that a macOS restriction?) or just they don't support it on Ventura, which would be along the same lines it has been for a while as in, they haven't supported the ignition key for a while.

I have another test Mac Pro running Monterey too, but that can't go to Ventura, so I can't test this just yet, but thought I would put it out there just in case.
I hope it won't just stop working with Ventura - it's just that they don't seem to want to support it anymore. It also says that the Ignition Key is not compatible with M1 processors, but as per post above, it's running just fine for me on a Mac Studio 2022.

• Information