Spitfire Audio LABS - Free Instruments

Discuss VST stuff here!
arqui

28 May 2022

Hi Joey, New Labs, Harmonic Flights to download!!! NOW 50!!!!!!!

https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/harmonic-flights
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

joeyluck

30 Jun 2022

Tape Piano

The total is 50 (51 if you count Sleigh Bells, which is no longer available). I've stopped updating the title to keep it simple :)

challism

01 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2022
Vintage Drums

That video sounds really good. I'm going to try this one out. Thanks for posting.

I just bought a 500GB external SSD for all my samples, refills, packs, VSTs, audio project, etc. I think I will finally be able to install all of these Spitfire Audio LABS instruments. They are quite good from my recollection.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdGrip

06 Sep 2022

Hello

The founder of Spitfire Audio has gone down the transphobe rabbit hole, if this matters to you.

Edit: The autism-ableist transphobe rabbit hole, at that.

DaveyG

06 Sep 2022

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Hello

The founder of Spitfire Audio has gone down the transphobe rabbit hole, if this matters to you.

Maybe he believes that there is no such thing as bad publicity. He's wrong.

jonnyretina

06 Sep 2022

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Hello

Please kindly don't bring this kind of political, ideological commentary onto these forums. As per challism's post here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7527196 one of the rules is 'Leave politics out of the forums'.

EdGrip

06 Sep 2022

I'm sure the mods are having a healthy discussion somewhere about whether my post is political or not (for which hassle, I apologise!). I would say it is only bringing information about SA that may be pertinent to members of this community.

In the mean time:

jonnyretina

06 Sep 2022

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2022
I'm sure the mods are having a healthy discussion somewhere about whether my post is political or not. I would say it is only bringing information about SA that may be pertinent to members of this community.

In the mean time:
(screenshot of twitter)
And there will also now be many who just as equally want to boycott Spitfire Audio after such a mealy-mouthed, corporate response. Hence this is definitely a divisive political issue which belongs squarely on Twitter, not this forum.

jam-s

06 Sep 2022

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2022
I would say it is only bringing information about SA that may be pertinent to members of this community.
Does this information change the sound or the usefulness of LABS? If not how is this not off-topic?

rgdaniel

06 Sep 2022

I'm grateful for the information. Not that I even have an opinion one way or the other, and I certainly don't want this simple one-purpose thread to be taken over with discussion of this drama. But interesting, in a gossipy kind of way.

joeyluck

06 Sep 2022

Just now seeing this. Looks like his tweet was deleted. Spitfire spoke up very quickly, so that's good. That guy is apparently a co-founder, and like they said, doesn't represent all of Spitfire. I didn't know who was who at Spitfire, and looking him up, I've actually never seen his videos (I'm always seeing the videos by the in-house crew for product launches).

I don't want to get into a debate about what is political, but having respect and showing support for the trans community should not be considered political. I don't know what the tweet was about. But it's the antagonists and people who create arguments against a group of people who make it political. Like same sex marriage for example—if you have never considered whether heterosexual marriage should be legal or not, then you should understand that same sex marriage should not be a political argument. It's those who oppose it who want to make it political. Everybody having basic human rights should not be considered a political issue.

Seeing as the tweet has been deleted and the situation handled swiftly, I think we can move on from it and allow this thread to continue to be about LABS :)

jonnyretina

06 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Sep 2022
It's those who oppose it who want to make it political.
I have to respectfully disagree with your definition of political. It becomes political when people make a societal issue (which people legitimately may or may not agree with) totally unrelated to Spitfire's products, the entire focus of the company's business - which then requires the company to put out a politically correct statement to quell the backlash on Twitter.

In the UK the precedent is that gender-critical beliefs are a protected philosophical belief under the Equality Act 2010, meaning Christian Henson has likely faced direct employment discrimination and victimisation for being pushed aside by a firm he helped co-found, over views that are completely legal to hold. The over-simplification of a very complex societal malaise is part of the problem when it comes to people openly discussing any part of the trans orthodoxy.

It is all political and it is absolutely not relevant when it comes to discussing the merits of music software whether the makers of that software have publicly expressed completely legal opinions and beliefs but which are ideologically unfashionable to hold.
Last edited by jonnyretina on 11 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

06 Sep 2022

Yeah so he made it political by deciding to voice his views publicly online, making it into a societal issue. If you have a public presence, you need to be responsible for everything you say. Spitfire was just having a normal day until that happened. They are now playing cleanup.

I figured leaving the few comments would be ok so people understand that it's been handled. Tweet deleted and statement made, so we can move on. That's his opinion, not Spitfire's, but because people associate him with Spitfire, it had to be cleared up.

teddymcw

07 Sep 2022

Appreciate it Joey, hopefully it won't affect people's interaction with Spitfire at all, who have amazing (free) products going.

Will look forward to these next Spitfire Audio Labs release!

Propellerhands

11 Sep 2022

Is there a way around this? Why would I need an app for sample packs? Or is it not a sample pack?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

moneykube

11 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
11 Sep 2022
Is there a way around this? Why would I need an app for sample packs? Or is it not a sample pack?
no way around it... They are not sample packs, they are usable VST plugs> free and paid... many companies use such apps to install their plugins and inform you of updates when fixes are made.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Propellerhands

11 Sep 2022

Ah a pity. Installed couple of packs, really nice textures. Will have to just rip them all one by one I guess to make it actually free.

joeyluck

11 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
11 Sep 2022
Ah a pity. Installed couple of packs, really nice textures. Will have to just rip them all one by one I guess to make it actually free.
They are playable instruments, not sample packs. They are actually free as they are 😂

Steedus
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2022

Yeah (IK Multimedia aside), I don't really get the hate for managers. They just make life so much easier to update, install etc. One of the main things I miss about R+ is the Companion. Regular authorizer sucks compared to that.

Propellerhands

11 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
11 Sep 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
11 Sep 2022
They are playable instruments, not sample packs. They are actually free as they are 😂
I know :mrgreen: but I am "free purist" kinda guy, I want to be able to load those samples in other instruments, like for example, Iris 2. The only way to do that is to export them via Reason as separate WAV file (put it on desktop) and then load that file into Iris 2 and then eventually making my own patch.

On related note, haven't figured out only how to save them inside Iris 2, only import and play. Once I press SAVE in Reason and then delete the original sample on my desktop, next time I open a project I get a warning for missing samples. Tried to press "self-containing settings" but sample did not show up there either. Inside Iris 2 there is a SAVE button but still, once I delete the original file from desktop, the file gets lost again.
Steedus wrote:
11 Sep 2022
Yeah (IK Multimedia aside), I don't really get the hate for managers. They just make life so much easier to update, install etc. One of the main things I miss about R+ is the Companion. Regular authorizer sucks compared to that.
Yeah well, the middle ground would be if they kept actual WAV files intact in myDocuments folder. Right now they are all under *spitfire file system. So can't move them, only open via Labs. Here's why I think it's "free but with a catch" kind of stuff.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2022

Getting on Topic, the Labs are great. I didn't download all of them, but for example the mandolin one is amazing!

Propellerhands

13 Sep 2022

Well, I only tried three "instruments"(foghorn, some pads and drums), and the last one, Vintage Drums (1GB download) was a last straw. When I opened I saw that it had only 2 drumkits. :thumbup:

Waste of bandwidth and SSD space, really. And on top of weird (to say the least) Labs app which does not show installed products, weird and annoying VST GUI, finally I uninstalled everything and deleted from my laptop.

Why even offer such stuff with so little information what is inside the package? How many sounds etc.? They fail to even put a file sizes in their website page. Sizes only visible through the app. I hate such practices by companies with a passion.

Steedus
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
13 Sep 2022
And on top of weird (to say the least) Labs app which does not show installed products
Huh? The app literally has different view options for installed or not installed libraries.

• Information