Studio One Update 5.2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Jac459

10 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Sep 2022
Reaper has that as well, and additional modes of running VSTs as stable as possible.
Reaper is indeed part of the very good options... Especially with their price point.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

11 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
09 Sep 2022
And coming from reason, it feels so good to know that you are in THE DAW that will have every features and innovation before the others.
I do understand that every DAW has a focus and strengths and weaknesses, and I am not here to preach but just give a go, it only cost a few hours..
I find myself saying this more and more lately for some reason, but a feature list or innovation alone does not make a DAW useful. You can have two DAWs with the same exact feature but one takes 2x more steps (and not logical steps) than the other to use that feature. Or the feature could be hidden on one DAW and just where you expect it on another.
So it’s not even down to focus and strengths/weaknesses, it’s down to many things. And the FIRST one is your expectations. If I want a DAW that makes an analog style workflow easy for mixing, and someone else wants a DAW that makes exploring routings and esoteric MIDI manipulations easy, the “best” DAW for each of us is unlikely to be the same DAW. Or someone else could need to track large rock/pop sessions, and another could want film scoring workflows, etc.
Then you get down to the little things, like how many clicks it takes to do the same thing in different DAWs. And of course, there ARE the features that vary on different DAWs - but it’s never been the ‘features’ alone that have drawn me to a DAW - otherwise I would never have been drawn to Reason… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

11 Sep 2022

selig wrote:
11 Sep 2022
Jac459 wrote:
09 Sep 2022
And coming from reason, it feels so good to know that you are in THE DAW that will have every features and innovation before the others.
I do understand that every DAW has a focus and strengths and weaknesses, and I am not here to preach but just give a go, it only cost a few hours..
I find myself saying this more and more lately for some reason, but a feature list or innovation alone does not make a DAW useful. You can have two DAWs with the same exact feature but one takes 2x more steps (and not logical steps) than the other to use that feature. Or the feature could be hidden on one DAW and just where you expect it on another.
So it’s not even down to focus and strengths/weaknesses, it’s down to many things. And the FIRST one is your expectations. If I want a DAW that makes an analog style workflow easy for mixing, and someone else wants a DAW that makes exploring routings and esoteric MIDI manipulations easy, the “best” DAW for each of us is unlikely to be the same DAW. Or someone else could need to track large rock/pop sessions, and another could want film scoring workflows, etc.
Then you get down to the little things, like how many clicks it takes to do the same thing in different DAWs. And of course, there ARE the features that vary on different DAWs - but it’s never been the ‘features’ alone that have drawn me to a DAW - otherwise I would never have been drawn to Reason… ;)
You are absolutely right and reason stays awesome on that matter. And the fact that it is so particular gives a unique touch of inspiration, at least for me.

After, on direct workflow, you are again right, the real real reason that made me love bitwig is the easiness on which you zoom on something and you unzoom. I am a poor player so I use a lot the piano roll. And switching context with shortcuts, swipes and screen gesture is a joy for me and czar efficient for my workflow.
But somebody playing everything directly would totally not care...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information