Thunderbolt 2 ports

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gritz

01 Sep 2022

Hi all just curious if you guys still are using older MacBooks with thunderbolt 2 ports if so are there any adapters from thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 so I could attach a ssd on the port freeing up my USB ports

Fusion

01 Sep 2022

I am using a Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt, which works well. You can still pick this older model up on eBay for cheap and is easy to take part if you need to replace the drive.

Apple do sell a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, but from my research it does not always work and depends on the device. I think the device has to be thunderbolt 3 and not usb 3 and also will not work if the device does not have a separate power adapter, so I found the Lacie Rugged the best option.

If you are not mobile then you could also look at something like a caldigit thunderbolt 2 dock, then you can just plug any drive into to usb 3 ports.

MuttReason

04 Sep 2022

gritz wrote:
01 Sep 2022
Hi all just curious if you guys still are using older MacBooks with thunderbolt 2 ports if so are there any adapters from thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 so I could attach a ssd on the port freeing up my USB ports
IME using TB2 gear with TB3 via adaptors can be very hit or miss. I’ve had three external TB2 HDDs crap out on me where I just couldn’t get them to mount via either Apple or third-party TB2 to TB3 adaptors. Drove me nuts. In the end I just bit the bullet and swapped out TB2 peripherals for updated TB3 versions (and with 1 of the HDDs managed to buy a new TB3 external enclosure and just swapped out the hard disk).

gritz

09 Sep 2022

Oh that’s an idea just a shame these ports sit there unused

• Information