Feature Request: Umpf Drums & Drum Sequencer Improvements

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jmp909

25 Aug 2022

just bought Umpf / Drum Sequencer Bundle in the end of summer sale... great fun but a few key features missing I think:

===
Drum Sequencer
===
  • steps should have Pitch and Pan options.. or at least CVs that can be mapped (since it's not actually directly connected to any specific Drum instrument). To fit the UI, suggestion would be that clicking or dragging on the VELOCITY panel could cycle between other curve types (eg if not Pan/Pitch then CV1, CV2 etc - this could then actually map to anything like Send Level etc) I guess each drum would need a separate out on the back though
  • half-step resolution (or a flam with either half selectable as well as current double) - this would also allow us to do a half speed lane, effectively making 32 steps with 1/16th resolution
  • next pattern (same / next / prev / 1..8 / random)

umpf-cv.jpg
umpf-cv.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Currently I have to wire up a separate matrix to the combinator but it'd be great if it was all contained within the Drum Sequencer

===
Umpf (Club & Retro)
===

* make the following parameters modulatable:
  • Sample Start
  • Attack
I'm sure there are plenty more, would be good to hear suggestions!

thanks
J
Last edited by jmp909 on 10 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

jonnyretina

25 Aug 2022

jmp909 wrote:
25 Aug 2022
just bought Umpf / Drum Sequencer Bundle in the end of summer sale... great fun but a few key features missing I think:

===
Drum Sequencer
===
  • steps should have Pitch and Pan options.. or at least CVs that can be mapped (since it's not actually directly connected to any specific Drum instrument). To fit the UI, suggestion would be that clicking or dragging on the VELOCITY panel could cycle between other curve types (eg if not Pan/Pitch then CV1, CV2 etc - this could then actually map to anything like Send Level etc) I guess each drum would need a separate out on the back though

umpf-cv.jpg.
Currently I have to wire up a separate matrix to the combinator but it'd be great if it was all contained within the Drum Sequencer

===
Umpf (Club & Retro)
===

* make the following parameters modulatable:
  • Sample Start
  • Attack
I'm sure there are plenty more, would be good to hear suggestions!

thanks
J
Wonderful ideas but past experience with RS would inform me that these devices will never get updated with new features now.

jmp909

07 Sep 2022

Drum Sequencer:
also allow half steps, or alternatively alter the flam/repeat control to include extra options to play on the first or second half of the step (there’s already a double)

This would have the benefit of allowing us to slow a lane down to half speed and therefore play 32 steps with effectively 1/16th resolution

PhillipOrdonez

08 Sep 2022

Trig conditions please

jmp909

08 Sep 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Trig conditions please
What would your conditions be and how would you fit it into the current UI?

I’m thinking maybe the Probability lane could cycle to a Condition lane on click of the title. (Similar to my suggestion for swapping the Velocity lane to CV lanes… both work in tandem but only one is visible at a time. )

PhillipOrdonez

08 Sep 2022

Precisely, if you push the probability beyond 100% or below 0%, it would turn into 1:2, 2:2, 1:3, 2:3 etc til 8:8 and then have done options like not if previous condition is active or only play the first time. You know, elektron sequencer type trig conditions. They added a similar concept on polystep. Now we just need the same thing on drum sequencer!

Edit: not the same thing as in polystep. Better. But the concept is the same, just take it further! 👍

Billy+

08 Sep 2022

Velocity curve presets would definitely be useful especially if you can move them left / right.

And dual arp needs a link button ;)

jmp909

08 Sep 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Precisely, if you push the probability beyond 100% or below 0%, it would turn into 1:2, 2:2, 1:3, 2:3 etc til 8:8
that could be an option, I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the panels out when you click on the brown part, so that it cycles between the different types (ie Velocity -> CV1 -> CV2 -> Velocity.... and Condition -> Probability -> Condition...)

anyway wishful thinking... but you never know!
drum-sequencer-cv-condition-ui.jpg
drum-sequencer-cv-condition-ui.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 729 times

DaveyG

08 Sep 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
25 Aug 2022
..past experience with RS would inform me that these devices will never get updated with new features now.
^This^.
Sadly.

PhillipOrdonez

08 Sep 2022

That's how it works on the elektron sequencer. The same parameter holds probability and the others.

I never use probability. I can't come up with any situation i would use probability. You always get hits in places you don't want them and you miss the hits in places you do. It is useless to me 🤷‍♂️ so having the option to turn the probability dial over 100% to get to trig conditions would be perfect for me 🥳

• Information