Needle Distortion by Dusty Devices

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
veezay
RE Developer

02 Sep 2022

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... istortion/

Hello!

Needle is finally in the shop! It's a vinyl sound effect, but not your average type of vinyl sound effect. Needle actually simulates the behavior of a needle tracking a groove on a record. You can make it sound pristine or totally worn out. You can add different types of dust noises on the record. Everything is controllable with CV.
Last edited by veezay on 03 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

02 Sep 2022

Here are a few screenshots....

Reason12, Win10

RobC

02 Sep 2022

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Here are a few screenshots....
Pretty, inviting layout!

challism

02 Sep 2022

Looks great and sounds even better (ie, worse). Congrats on the new release!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

02 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Looks great and sounds even better (ie, worse).
Couldn't have said it better haha!

This is a great RE and is going to come in handy. Congrats on the release! :clap:

Kilsane

02 Sep 2022

Great it looks good, direct purchase

integerpoet

02 Sep 2022

I started to wonder why you thought this would be worth US$35 when iZotope Vinyl is free.

And then I listened to the examples. Wow (so to speak). Much nicer dust! Skipping! Congrats.

EdGrip

03 Sep 2022

Vinyl Distortion in Ableton is the only comparable device I can think of, in terms of modelling physical groove/needle effects, although not so full featured.

DaveyG

03 Sep 2022

EdGrip wrote:
03 Sep 2022
Vinyl Distortion in Ableton is the only comparable device I can think of, in terms of modelling physical groove/needle effects, although not so full featured.
There is Needlepoint:

https://www.gearnews.com/unfiltered-aud ... emulation/

No idea how they compare. They are not the sort of effects I ever use.

EdGrip

03 Sep 2022

Surely all effects are the kind of effects everyone uses, on account of ooh that's interesting?

EdGrip

03 Sep 2022

DaveyG wrote:
03 Sep 2022

There is Needlepoint:

Looks like this was an accidental early leak, as it's gone away again now.

DaveyG

03 Sep 2022

EdGrip wrote:
03 Sep 2022
DaveyG wrote:
03 Sep 2022

There is Needlepoint:

Looks like this was an accidental early leak, as it's gone away again now.
Link is still working for me and it's the one they emailed me a few hours ago!

EdGrip

03 Sep 2022

The Gearnews page works, but there's no reference to it on UA's website or Plugin Alliance.

veezay
RE Developer

03 Sep 2022

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Edit: It's going to be interesting to see what Needlepoint is really like. I'm planning to release Needle as a VST/AU as well, but that won't happen very soon.

phobic

03 Sep 2022

If there's a more fully featured vinyl emulator out there now, I've not come across it. Well laid out, easy to use and most of all sits well and sounds really authentic in a mix, what's not to love!
You've got a real winner here

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2022

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Mataya

06 Sep 2022

I think you should remove the picture of a gramophone for the RE in the shop. I thought it was a sample pack of vinyl noises and skipped it right away. Use whatever, but show us those buttons, switches and knobs, everyone here loves buttons, switches and knobs.

Great device.

M

joeyluck

06 Sep 2022

This looks to be more in line with iZotope's free Vinyl plugin.
Mataya wrote:
06 Sep 2022
I think you should remove the picture of a gramophone for the RE in the shop. I thought it was a sample pack of vinyl noises and skipped it right away. Use whatever, but show us those buttons, switches and knobs, everyone here loves buttons, switches and knobs.

Great device.

M
I was actually thinking how great the thumbnail image looks. And it's an image that is focused on a needle that is on a vinyl record (not a gramophone). Maybe you were looking at something else?

Mataya

07 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Mataya wrote:
06 Sep 2022

Great device.

M
I was actually thinking how great the thumbnail image looks. And it's an image that is focused on a needle that is on a vinyl record (not a gramophone). Maybe you were looking at something else?

I see a gramophone in the picture. It's not a minidisc for sure. And I still think it looks like a sample pack and I would like to see a pic of this RE instead.

veezay
RE Developer

07 Sep 2022

Mataya wrote:
06 Sep 2022

Great device.

M
I'd love to show all those buttons, switches and knobs in the thumbnail, but it's tough to fit enough relevant stuff while still being discernible to the user. I went with the kind of mood photo instead, hoping it would more immediately give the right sort of impression what it is about.

Thanks!

jam-s

07 Sep 2022

Mataya wrote:
07 Sep 2022
I see a gramophone in the picture. It's not a minidisc for sure. And I still think it looks like a sample pack and I would like to see a pic of this RE instead.
It might be a language thing, but that surely is not a gramophone but a picture of a modern turntable with a tone arm and a magnetic pick up system.

Mataya

07 Sep 2022

jam-s wrote:
07 Sep 2022
Mataya wrote:
07 Sep 2022
It might be a language thing, but that surely is not a gramophone but a picture of a modern turntable with a tone arm and a magnetic pick up system.
OMG are you for real? Of course it's a language thing. We say gramophone in Croatia. We all know what it is. This is a modern gramophone in the picture. I see a sample pack when I see this Re's picture. Beeause it's more in a style of sample packs here in the store. Why else would it remind me?
I restrain my self from commenting often here, but every time I do, same shit every time. God...after all those years.

Sure, it's a modern turn-table, the picture is awesome. It represents this Re in a way no other thumbnail ever did it here. The angle and the colors are spot on. That concord slickness, wow! All hail Reason!

M

selig
RE Developer

07 Sep 2022

Mataya wrote:
07 Sep 2022
jam-s wrote:
07 Sep 2022

OMG are you for real? Of course it's a language thing.
OK, good. Everyone agrees it’s a language thing, now lets move on please!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

07 Sep 2022

Mataya wrote:
07 Sep 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Sep 2022

I agree with everybody. The record player needle looks cool, but it might give off the idea that it is a sample pack or refill. And we all want you to attract as many customers as you can. So perhaps one idea to help shop visitors know it is an RE is to add the official RE logo to the thumbnail? I'm not sure if RS allows for that, as we don't really see it being done (if not, just use the letters RE or something). Anyway, it might help solve this issue some might have realizing this is an RE and not a refill/sample pack.

Something like this
needle.png
needle.png (66.74 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
selig wrote:
07 Sep 2022
Mataya wrote:
07 Sep 2022

OMG are you for real? Of course it's a language thing.
OK, good. Everyone agrees it’s a language thing, now lets move on please!
Sorry, Giles. I had to add one last thought. Moving on now.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
07 Sep 2022
Sorry, Giles. I had to add one last thought. Moving on now.
I say ban him Giles. He was warned.

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information