i tried remaking this sound in vital

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
samsome

06 Sep 2022

first sound is what i'm going after

second one is the one i'm getting from vital synth

https://whyp.it/tracks/41227/avbb?token=Lfxd6

can someone tell me what improvement i can make to come closer to the first sound

i tried saw waveform unison lfo on pitch volume etc distortion

Jac459

06 Sep 2022

Hello, I can't test now but you definitely need a bit of filter, your sound is a bit too bright, I would think a ladder with 24db will give you this kind of vibrating sound. There is also some dark reverb (low end only).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

samsome

06 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Hello, I can't test now but you definitely need a bit of filter, your sound is a bit too bright, I would think a ladder with 24db will give you this kind of vibrating sound. There is also some dark reverb (low end only).
please test!! ;p i'll try what u said though

this is what i get

i still can't get it to buzz like the first sound Edit: when i say buzz i mean the tone of the sound

https://whyp.it/tracks/41250/avbbc?token=VJIpS
Last edited by samsome on 06 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2022

To me your first attempt sounded closer but it sounds like the lfo rate is too fast and may I ask what it is modulating?
The target sounds to me perhaps like a sine wave modulating filter cutoff (only slightly) and perhaps synced to 1/16, 3/16 or 1/8 notes but the sync rate would be dependent on what bpm your original sound is to get close to the original.

samsome

06 Sep 2022

Popey wrote:
06 Sep 2022
To me your first attempt sounded closer but it sounds like the lfo rate is too fast and may I ask what it is modulating?
The target sounds to me perhaps like a sine wave modulating filter cutoff (only slightly) and perhaps synced to 1/16, 3/16 or 1/8 notes but the sync rate would be dependent on what bpm your original sound is to get close to the original.
it was modulating pitch i don't remember if it was volume as well

but at this point i'm more concerned with how to get the tone of the sound rather than the overall shape or whatever

i can't understand how to get that tone

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2022

samsome wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Popey wrote:
06 Sep 2022
it was modulating pitch i don't remember if it was volume as well

but at this point i'm more concerned with how to get the tone of the sound rather than the overall shape or whatever

i can't understand how to get that tone
It seemed to me like your modulation was at too high a rate so perhaps try some different sync values on the lfo and I think it's filter modulation not pitch or volume imo.

samsome

06 Sep 2022

thanks but i tried it already if anyone can get that tone i would be interested to see how they done it

Jac459

07 Sep 2022

Okay, this challenge is very funny.
Coming quite close but not exactly.
I tried many of the saws, quad saws, and pwm of vital with the intermediate state, no change.
Then a bit of waveshaper, folding saturation, no chance.
The sound is definitely a saw with a bit of pwm touch but I can't put the finger on it.
I tried to cheat.
I tried all the leads of Spire (the world champion in Saw wave), Serum, Antidote, Exhale, no chance.
Quite close, but not exactly the same sound...
I'll try a bit later today again.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

07 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
07 Sep 2022
I tried many of the saws, quad saws, and pwm of vital with the intermediate state, no change.
The sound is definitely a saw with a bit of pwm, unison, touch but I can't put the finger on it.
I tried to cheat.
I tried all the leads of Spire (the world champion in Saw wave), Serum, Antidote, Exhale, no chance.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

samsome

07 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
07 Sep 2022
The sound is definitely a saw with a bit of pwm touch but I can't put the finger on it.
I tried to cheat.
thanks for trying!!!! its actually a patch from hydroxenius 2 or whatever its called Rom Vibrato lead but that is a rombler more or less and i can't figure out exactly how to recreate the sound with vital

Jac459

07 Sep 2022

samsome wrote:
07 Sep 2022

thanks for trying!!!! its actually a patch from hydroxenius 2 or whatever its called Rom Vibrato lead but that is a rombler more or less and i can't figure out exactly how to recreate the sound with vital
Ah ok, good to know.

So I tried again a bit with no real luck.
What I think: the lfo like effect is in fact coming from the detune of the unison. I think the unison has not many voices, maybe 3. And then the detune is at 20% arround.
What I can't get exactly is the wave form. It has the harshness of a Sawtooth but a bit of the timbre of a Pulse. So far the most approaching is a pulse with small width. Then I feel the timbre is good but it loose this harchness of the original sound.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

07 Sep 2022

This is my best approximation but still an approximation.
Please change the mp3 extension by .vital. It is a vital preset.
Attachments
Saw.mp3
(997.02 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

samsome

07 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
07 Sep 2022
This is my best approximation but still an approximation.
Please change the mp3 extension by .vital. It is a vital preset.
thanks! i think changing the first oscillator to sawtooth comes closer, or maybe both but yes in general thats closer! thanks for this

• Information