POLL: Summer Sale 2022 - How much did you spend?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How much did you spend? USD

1- $200 and over
5%
2- $150 - $199
1%
3- $100 - $149
4%
4- $50 - $99
12%
5- $25 - $49
11%
6- $10 -$24
4%
7- under $10
5%
8 Free - I used vouchers from Rewards
4%
9- I didn't buy anything
52%

Total votes: 134
stratatonic

04 Sep 2022

It looked like a pretty good sale. More so that you could use your Reward points on some sale items.
How much did folks spend during this sale?
What did you buy?

guitfnky

04 Sep 2022

this was the first RS sale I didn’t even care enough to look. guess my opinion has really soured on the state of Reason and the overall direction of the company since v12 came out. hope they turn things around.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

04 Sep 2022

guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2022
this was the first RS sale I didn’t even care enough to look. guess my opinion has really soured on the state of Reason and the overall direction of the company since v12 came out. hope they turn things around.
Good that we have someone starting to make this thread going into the usual bashing ReasonStudios and all this "all going down and is so bad yaddayadda..." Took only 1 post. Thanks :clap: GJ :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

RobC

04 Sep 2022

Haha, I thought I'd be the only 9. x D

Propellerhands

04 Sep 2022

Here's my confession. If it is for Reason sale, then exactly zero. Never bought a single Rack Extension, no need for me.

But I spent this summer over 500 dollars on various plugins. For someone who used only pirated software before, it's a lot. But I only bought essentials, stuff that I will definitely use, mostly FX and utilities. And also made one donation for a free software that I downloaded (thanks to a user from this forum).
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

reusenoise

04 Sep 2022

Bought Friktion and bassline generator with my reward points+11€uro

crimsonwarlock

04 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
04 Sep 2022
And also made one donation for a free software that I downloaded (thanks to a user from this forum).
:thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Re8et
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2022

THE eKKS EFFECT were too dope to miss

WOO

05 Sep 2022

I got bought Cs, bassline generator, friktion, algorithm, pattern mutator and the legend with my rewards points plus 20 dollars. Thanks Reason and Synapse :clap:

Jac459

05 Sep 2022

guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2022
You could be sour if RS didn't provide the RRP. But they do.

To my knowledge they are the only one to provide this kind of pattern. If reason as a DAW doesn't match your need anymore you can perfectly switch to another daw without losing any of your investments. It is just so crazy awesome
Kudos to RS to do that...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2022

Shopped for €92. Not too bad, but still more than I thought I would.

Transcendent 2000
FlowBrush
Amplifikation Rectifor Guitar Amp

dan_g

05 Sep 2022

Shopped for 0€. used 75 of my reward Points to get The Legend and Polar.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Jac459

05 Sep 2022

dan_g wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Shopped for 0€. used 75 of my reward Points to get The Legend and Polar.
The legend and polar are both awesome...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

guitfnky

05 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
05 Sep 2022
guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2022

To my knowledge they are the only one to provide this kind of pattern. If reason as a DAW doesn't match your need anymore you can perfectly switch to another daw without losing any of your investments. It is just so crazy awesome
Kudos to RS to do that...
yes, and I do use RRP from time to time in other DAWs. it’s not nearly as useful as having everything in a single session as in Reason standalone though. other VSTs are often as good or sometimes better than the devices available as Rack Extensions.

so, I can be sour on RS either way.

(sorry Loque 🥲 WOMP WOMP)
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

crimsonwarlock

05 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
05 Sep 2022

To my knowledge they are the only one to provide this kind of pattern.
Actually, other companies don't have to do that, as their plugins can be loaded directly in any DAW. Reason Studios is the only company that requires you to buy their DAW, to be able to load their 'plugins' (being the Rack Extensions) into another DAW.

I'm squarely in the 'Reason is my only DAW' camp. But to me, the RRP looks like a convoluted and misguided attempt to get people with other DAWs to install Reason and somehow start using it as a DAW. Why else wouldn't they sell the RRP as a separate product.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dan_g

05 Sep 2022

well thats only half the truth.

for example you can't load an Ableton Live Stock plugin in any other daw to my knowledge. also the FL Stock Plugins can't be loaded elsewere until you load FL as a plugin. correct me if im wrong.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

RobC

05 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Sep 2022
I'm squarely in the 'Reason is my only DAW' camp. But to me, the RRP looks like a convoluted and misguided attempt to get people with other DAWs to install Reason and somehow start using it as a DAW. Why else wouldn't they sell the RRP as a separate product.
Look at the bright side, at least Rack Extensions are still somewhat protected and thus tempting to develop for, especially if one is completely new on the market.

Jac459

05 Sep 2022

dan_g wrote:
05 Sep 2022

for example you can't load an Ableton Live Stock plugin in any other daw to my knowledge. also the FL Stock Plugins can't be loaded elsewere until you load FL as a plugin. correct me if im wrong.
Totally true.
The fact that I can move to another DAW without loosing Europa, Kong or grain is just awesome.

In my view, RRP is not convoluted... I use it very much with bitwig... And actually more and more as I use bitwig and I really don't see any problem in that.
Yesterday I made a big combinator of different dr rex, used it with the power of biwig modulators, I had a lot of fun, in a very very simple workflow...

To me RRP is an excellent VST.
It is quicker to load than actually a lot of other plugins. Has a better hdpi support...
Has a freaking good patch browser...
Very little vst have so many qualities...
And oh, yes, the resource usage is very optimised...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

05 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Why else wouldn't they sell the RRP as a separate product.
To me the answer is quite simple. They are just very well aware than they can't compete with other big DAWs now and they are having a defensive strategy to continue to sell their products.

Hear me well, I am not saying here that one DAW is better than another, I am just saying that from a pure commercial/marketing standpoint they are currently in a very difficult situation.

Imagine a new user doing a bit of research:
- Last time I checked reason was having a 3% market share.
- it is not vst3 compliant, the most standard plugin format.
- it is not m1 compatible
- it is not significantly cheaper than the other big names.
- it is not compatible with new sounds format.
- if the potential buyer try to look at reviews or forums, to go beyond a simpler features list, he will just find an angry mob, ready to burn reason studios.

In these conditions, how do you want them to win?
They just can't.
It is not like they can snap fingers and have all these features developped. I am sure they are very competent people and there must be very good reason for which they can't quickly provide vst3 support and all.

So in this context, it makes a ton of sense to try to change their positioning.

Now, about their positioning and the RRP, I have an acute GAS and owns a shit ton of plugins... I still find myself using a lot the RRP, because it is just a good and modern product. I think it is better for them to provide a top of the line VST than a DAW that is not trendy today (again, my point is not to say that you can't create wonderful things with reason as a daw, I am just talking from a marketing, market share standpoint).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

05 Sep 2022

dan_g wrote:
05 Sep 2022

Ableton and FL stock instruments and FX are not plugins in the sense of VST or similar, similar to the Reason stock instruments and FX are not Rack Extensions. So yes, the RRP makes it possible to load Reason's stock instruments and FX, but I doubt anyone is running the RRP in another DAW to get to those specifically.
-------

crimsonwarlock

05 Sep 2022

RobC wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Look at the bright side, at least Rack Extensions are still somewhat protected and thus tempting to develop for, especially if one is completely new on the market.
I completely agree on that :puf_smile:
-------

crimsonwarlock

05 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
05 Sep 2022
The fact that I can move to another DAW without loosing Europa, Kong or grain is just awesome.
Every user on another DAW with a nice investment in VST plugins can say the exact same thing: The fact that I can move to another DAW without loosing -fill in a nice amount of VST-plugins- is just awesome.

As I said, Reason is my DAW of choice, and I'm using close to zero VST plugins, as I see huge benefits in the RE format (at least for me). There is a lot that draws me to Reason over other DAWs. But the RRP, albeit a bit of an insurance policy, is not an impressive feature to me. If it was, I would have stayed in Reaper or moved to Tracktion Waveform (which I actually do like as well) and kept all my VST-plugins installed.
-------

Yonatan

05 Sep 2022

Yeah, RE is fantastic thing, only it need to be developed even further. I mean, via Rack plugin, any RE will be a VST3. Very cool development. And if Rack plugin will be able to be used inside Reason as VST3, so cool as a Russian doll. One can get some sort of organisation in that way.

Jac459

05 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Jac459 wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Every user on another DAW with a nice investment in VST plugins can say the exact same thing:
Again, no it isn't the case. All daws (except reaper) are sold with a big numbers of internal instruments, generally quite awesome. Everybody praises ableton's instruments and effects. I know first hand than bitwig effects and instruments are awesome. And clearly Europa, Kong, grain, Malstrom, and so many other devices in reason are awesome.
The fact that you can use these stock devices in another daw is not only awesome but also unique to reason.

Then you compare sold RE and VST. That's absolutely correct. But I guess you know very well that the re was built as a competitor to vst. The fact that now they embrasse vst and allow us to not loose our re is excellent.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

05 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
05 Sep 2022
... but also unique to reason.
Nope, you can load FL Studio as a VST in another DAW and use all its stock stuff there. Maybe there are others, don't know, but Reason is not unique in this regard. Only the implementation differs, and you could argue that the FL Studio way is much more powerful, as you get the full FL functionality inside your other DAW. The RRP looses the most important thing in Reason: being able to patch across channels and instrument/FX stacks (which is why moving to another DAW with RRP is not an option for me).
-------

• Information