Ozone export differs from its "real-time" output

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
integerpoet

02 Sep 2022

What's the rough equivalent — if any — of the ReasonTalk forum for iZotope Ozone?
Last edited by integerpoet on 04 Sep 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Overtherainbow

02 Sep 2022

ROzoneTalk?

Sorry, couldn't help it

Billy+

02 Sep 2022

I guess that you're either after batch about izotope or actually getting support?

If you're after batch then you're welcome to continue here :lol:
If you're after support then good news their support actually answers within hours ;)

Other than that I guess you have kvr reddit proaudio etc....

Do you have a particular topic?

integerpoet

02 Sep 2022

I'm not sure I want support, exactly.

When I listen within the Ozone app, I am happy with the results, but when I listen to rendered output, it doesn't sound the same.

It seems there is a loss of high-end and/or detail and/or clarity …or something.

For a low-bite-rate lossy file (MP3 or AAC), I expect that. But for a lossless file at 24/48 (WAV or AIFF), I don't expect that.

Maybe this is because I have so far trusted that control of dithering details is disabled by default?

(But after watching some videos to guess at how I might mess with them, doing so seems to have no effect.)

Or maybe I've pushed something too far such that it only sounds good in theory but not after export?

(Just for funsies, I tried exporting at 24/96 and setting my interface to 24/96, but that didn't make a difference either, even with dithering disabled.)

Or maybe I just need to read the effing manual? :puf_smile:

I guess what I'm really after is some guidance on things I might be doing wrong to check for.

So, like, a forum. :puf_smile:

integerpoet

03 Sep 2022

Turns out I'm definitely not crazy. Or at least not in this particular way.

I finally realized I can tell Ozone to use files which Ozone exported as "references".

This makes it quick and easy to swap between playback of those "references" and Ozone's real-time output.

And there are unmistakable differences. Even my totally-not-audio-engineer wife could hear them immediately.

"Muddy!" she said, way too loud in that cute way non-audio-engineers have of trying to talk over headphones.

This is true for a 24/48 WAV file (same as the input), a highest-bit-rate MP3 file, and even a 32/48 WAV file, the last of which I guess eliminates the possibility of my having botched dithering somehow.

So maybe I have arrived at the point at which this is a support-level issue after all.

integerpoet

04 Sep 2022

Doesn't happen when I:
  1. save the current session in the Ozone app as a preset
  2. create a clean Reason project
  3. instantiate Ozone as a plug-in in the master section
  4. import the same AIFF file as I had imported into the Ozone app
  5. tell the plug-in to apply the preset mentioned in #1
  6. export (being careful not to let Reason dither because Ozone already did)
Very weird that iZotope would not have caught such a bug across several versions of the app.

I updated (with a non-trivial jump in versions) to see if it might make the "bug" go away and it did not, which makes this especially weird.

They can't test every imaginable host app, but you'd think they'd carefully test their own as the "gold standard" to which they can refer customers having trouble with other host apps.

Or it's not a bug and there's some subtlety to using the app which I just can't grasp, which may be its own kind of bug.

In any case this is the first time I've felt let-down by an iZotope product.

• Information