Obsession vs all the other ones.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Overtherainbow

01 Sep 2022

AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Sep 2022
Hmm, you may want to check your research on that…

First came the SEM modules, used either monophonically or in sets of two, four, or eight (for polyphony). Those are emulated by BX_Oberhausen, G-Force, and Artura SEM-V.

Then came the OB-X. Polyphonic and programmable, but still used 12db discrete filters based on the SEM modules. Emulated by OP-X Pro and OB-Xtreme.

Then came the OB-Xa (no X6 or X8). It used the standard Curtis chips for its filters, and could be switched between 12-db and 24-db. Emulated by Synapse Obsession, discoDSP OB-Xd, and Arturi OB-Xa V.

All these Oberheims sound amazing. Which is best is up to taste - from the emulations I’ve tried, OB-X is my favorite.
Hey, thanks for that. Wasn't even aware of the SEM. Obsession LOOKS like x6 (blue and black) not like x8 (white/grey/black)

Overtherainbow

01 Sep 2022

eXode wrote:
01 Sep 2022
Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8: Black with blue lines and lettering
https://www.thomann.de/gb/oberheim_ob_x8.htm

crimsonwarlock

01 Sep 2022

Overtherainbow wrote:
01 Sep 2022
eXode wrote:
01 Sep 2022
Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8: Black with blue lines and lettering
https://www.thomann.de/gb/oberheim_ob_x8.htm
That is neither an OB-Xa nor an OB-8 (the vintage Oberheims), it is the new Oberheim synth since the company re-emerged.

https://oberheim.com
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

01 Sep 2022

OB-Xa
obxa.jpg
obxa.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

OB-8
ob8.jpg
ob8.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

So eXode is very much correct.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Overtherainbow

01 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Sep 2022
right on :thumbs_up:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2022

I have the BX_Ob and Disco DSP versions but (here it comes) I just purchased Synapse Obsession and the hype around this device is legitimate. Brilliant patches/presets to instantly be inspired by. A genuine press one key and you're away type of thing, so powerful and no big hits on cpu like REspire!!? More like REtire
The reverb is lovely with shimmer and regen along with turning the organic knob to make it all lush and gooey, although I cannot right click and edit automation on all of the effect controls on the rear, which is where the reverb is. I can simply use the matrix which has 12 slots and automate via CV using the Aftermath Audio CV8X4 Gen.. no need for a Combi. Very well programmed Synth and if you only had a few synths to choose from with I suppose more cv options this Obsession would be one of the software synths to have, and currently at £38 instead of £80.whatever p this can be explained away to the Mrs / Landlords or both as positive GAS

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Why not trial it, compare it what you already have, and draw your own conclusion?
Best answer since RTFM. Thanks.
I still have never read a manual in my life :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2022

aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2022
MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022

Me neither. I just despair at people answering “RTFM” and “Just try it and make up your mind yourself”. I guess it’ll unfortunately go on for as long as there’s forums to write it on.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TheGodOfRainbows

04 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
04 Sep 2022
aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2022

Me neither. I just despair at people answering “RTFM” and “Just try it and make up your mind yourself”. I guess it’ll unfortunately go on for as long as there’s forums to write it on.
I find it funny that more people don’t understand why someone would ask to hear other peoples opinions. Like even if I did read the manual and even if I did try out the demo for myself, I would still go on a forum and ask for other peoples opinions, just to help my own decision making, and because it’s interesting to know what others think.

Jac459

05 Sep 2022

aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2022
MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022

I printed the whole reason 1.0 manual back in the days. I don't think I passed page 100... A tree died for nothing...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

raymondh

07 Sep 2022

Sonically I like OPX II Pro the most. But I don't like it's UI or patch management. OPX has quite a 'forward' sound.

Obsession sounds softer /less forward (to me) but has a much better UI and patch management. I also like Synapse as a company and want to support them.

The difference means I tend to stick to the presets on OPX but I like to experiment and program Obsession. Both great synths.

But damned if I can make any softsynth sound as good as Retrosound's hardware in his videos!

• Information