Obsession vs all the other ones.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

I’ve got Brainworx bx oberhausen. I’ve got the free DiscoDSP OB-xd. There’s a whole load more. I think I’ve got an IKMultimedia Oberhausen as well. What does Obsession offer over and above all the others other than that it’s in RE format?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

30 Aug 2022

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Italophile

30 Aug 2022

Why not trial it, compare it what you already have, and draw your own conclusion?
Last edited by Italophile on 30 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Why not trial it, compare it what you already have, and draw your own conclusion?
Best answer since RTFM. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

30 Aug 2022

I bought the RE on sale and like it enough. It doesn’t sound much different or better than the other emulations, though it is still really good sounding. What made the difference was then getting the VST for free. The VST has the same kind of preset morphing system as Dune 3. I was able to get some very cool sounds very quickly in a way I couldn’t with the other emulations.

Jac459

30 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
The problem with this video, is I remember seeing it and buying the obsession like 15 min after...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
I bought the RE on sale and like it enough. It doesn’t sound much different or better than the other emulations, though it is still really good sounding. What made the difference was then getting the VST for free. The VST has the same kind of preset morphing system as Dune 3. I was able to get some very cool sounds very quickly in a way I couldn’t with the other emulations.
Cool. Thanks. So the RE doesn’t have the morphing function?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
The problem with this video, is I remember seeing it and buying the obsession like 15 min after...
Hahahah. That’s why I wanted a quick summary. So I wouldn’t t have time to change my mind :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

30 Aug 2022

You can morph between two settings, but it doesn’t create a new unique sound that you can easily save. It does sound really good. I think you have to be a fan of the specific Oberheim vibe to love the RE, while I find the VST opens up more possibilities.

crimsonwarlock

30 Aug 2022

ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
I think you have to be a fan of the specific Oberheim vibe to love the RE...
Exactly why I got it. Same why I got Legend RE to get 'that' Moog sound.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Italophile

30 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022
The patch Genetics functionality is part of the patch browser, which the RE doesn't have.
ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
You can morph between two settings, but it doesn’t create a new unique sound that you can easily save.
BS.
Obsession Genetics.png
Last edited by Italophile on 30 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Jac459

30 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
I think you have to be a fan of the specific Oberheim vibe to love the RE...
Exactly why I got it. Same why I got Legend RE to get 'that' Moog sound.
After we have to talk about synapse quality... The VSTs like the RE are working perfectly, are very well coded, light enough on CPU. The obsession as this nice rear panel following fully the reason logic...
On top of having the oberein sound it is also a very good quality synth in the literal sense of it (ui, reliability, ...).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

ravasb

30 Aug 2022

Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022
MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022
The patch Genetics functionality is part of the patch browser, which the RE doesn't have.
ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
You can morph between two settings, but it doesn’t create a new unique sound that you can easily save.
BS.

Obsession Genetics.png
Please explain why you are saying my comment was BS. I was talking about how the RE does not have Genetics, but that the VST one does, like Dune.

Italophile

30 Aug 2022

ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Please explain why you are saying my comment was BS. I was talking about how the RE does not have Genetics, but that the VST one does, like Dune.
I suggest you read my post again. I quoted you exactly, and my comment is self-explanatory.

crimsonwarlock

30 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
After we have to talk about synapse quality...
I'm very much aware of Synapse quality. I started using Orion back when Synapse was called Sonic Syndicate and I ran the Orion-Central community website back then :puf_smile:

Oh, and before I forget, Orion Platinum had genetics build in for most f its internal instruments :thumbup:
-------

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022

BS.

Obsession Genetics.png
I understood you. Pay no mind.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022
ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
I suggest you read my post again. I quoted you exactly, and my comment is self-explanatory.
The guy was being a hell of a lot more helpful than you have been so far on this thread. Replying with BS whether he was right or wrong could be interpreted as being downright unfriendly and unnecessarily confrontational.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

30 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022

The guy was being a hell of a lot more helpful than you have been so far on this thread. Replying with BS whether he was right or wrong could be interpreted as being downright unfriendly and unnecessarily confrontational.
Thank you, Mr. Figg. I will reserve further comment.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022

Nah, don’t. Keep commenting man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

30 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
30 Aug 2022
ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022

Nah, don’t. Keep commenting man.
Thank you. I will. I just meant I will not reply further to that particular individual.

EnochLight

30 Aug 2022

Italophile wrote:
30 Aug 2022
ravasb wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Mod note: let's take a breath and keep this discussion friendly. If you read all of ravasb's posts, it was clear that they were talking about the lack of saving morphing results in the RE. Clearly you missed that part. Not a big deal, but we're all on the same team here. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jac459

31 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
After we have to talk about synapse quality...
I'm very much aware of Synapse quality. I started using Orion back when Synapse was called Sonic Syndicate and I ran the Orion-Central community website back then :puf_smile:

Oh, and before I forget, Orion Platinum had genetics build in for most f its internal instruments :thumbup:
Oh my... I could guess that you know synapse very well, but not to this extent haha...

But my point was not to inform you about synapse, more to remind MrFigg that when synapse is doing something, it is no joke and generally at the top of the food chain... :-p (and by the way, I am also aware that MrFigg knows very well synapse too ;-))
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Overtherainbow

31 Aug 2022

Brainworx bx oberhausen is based on Oberheim obx8, while all the others mentioned here are based on obx6 which is sonically an inferior synth to x8.

Oberheim price the ob-x8 almost two times higher simply because it just sounds better. That's the whole difference. Then they've put it into a fancier wooden rack and made the colours and the build seem somehow more premium than the x6 to justify the price difference between the x6 and x8. This is just my personal conclusion. I don't understand why anyone would make x6 emulations when you could just do the x8.

AnotherMathias

01 Sep 2022

Hmm, you may want to check your research on that…

First came the SEM modules, used either monophonically or in sets of two, four, or eight (for polyphony). Those are emulated by BX_Oberhausen, G-Force, and Artura SEM-V.

Then came the OB-X. Polyphonic and programmable, but still used 12db discrete filters based on the SEM modules. Emulated by OP-X Pro and OB-Xtreme.

Then came the OB-Xa (no X6 or X8). It used the standard Curtis chips for its filters, and could be switched between 12-db and 24-db. Emulated by Synapse Obsession, discoDSP OB-Xd, and Arturi OB-Xa V.

All these Oberheims sound amazing. Which is best is up to taste - from the emulations I’ve tried, OB-X is my favorite.

eXode

01 Sep 2022

Oberhausen is based on the Oberheim SEM, just like GForce Oberhem and Arturia SEM V.

Obsession is based on the Oberheim OB-Xa/OB-8, like some other software emulations

The Oberheim OBX8 is a new hardware synthesizer that is based on the OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8. There is no software emulation of it currently.

Finally, there is no OBX6 as far as I know, but there is a OB-6 but no software emulation has been made of it.

Oberheim SEM: Creme panel whith black lettering
Oberheim OB-X: Black and gray with white lettering
Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8: Black with blue lines and lettering
Oberheim OB-6: Made with sequentuial, black with blue lines and lettering.

• Information