Combinator "state" presets

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
jmp909

31 Aug 2022

Hi,

maybe this has been requested before...

Am I correct in thinking you can't save a Combinator 2 state? That is if I move some knobs on the main panel and move some knobs inside the devices my only option is to save this as a whole new Combinator (meaning when I load it, it's going to reload the whole set of devices rather than just load state?)

Separate preset management for any fixed Combinator structure would definitely be an improvement.

thanks
J
Last edited by jmp909 on 19 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

deeplink
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2022

Combinator sub-patches has been quite a popular feature request

Personally I would settle for some combinator/device loading optimisation
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

jmp909

31 Aug 2022

sub-patches could theoretically store a diff from the main combinator, however that would mean they couldn't be opened by themselves

otherwise the patch could presumably contain everything, but opening it would just do a diff to the current patch.

then there's the question of whether sub-patches should store combinator controller mappings or not, or should be treated just as tweaks to the devices. Feels like what to load would need to be optional (Everything or just device settings etc)

Loque

31 Aug 2022

And the enhancement would be? A little bit faster loading? Compared to all the hastle of managing a "type" of a Combinator. i would say this is sersiously not my #1 request...
Reason12, Win10

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

I wouldn't worry too much about the storage. Combinator patches aren't exactly space hogs.

But being able to access your modifications from the original patch would be useful.

crimsonwarlock

19 Sep 2022

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2022
I wouldn't worry too much about the storage. Combinator patches aren't exactly space hogs.
However, you can easily zip up 50 presets for any RE synth, and upload that to the forum here (Tritone does it regularly :thumbup: ), but try to do the same with 50 combi2 patches, and it will be too big to upload here.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Pepin

19 Sep 2022

I think this could work if the presets were saved within the original Combinator patch file and only contained settings for the Combinator panel controls.
This would cleanly separate building the "instrument" (the base patch) from the presets.
Adjusting settings on the panel would affect whichever preset is selected. Everything else (changes to internal devices, new controls/mappings, etc.) would affect the base patch.

The OP mentions also wanting to "move some knobs inside the devices," but I think that could really complicate things in terms of editing if allowed to vary between presets.

jmp909

19 Sep 2022

Pepin wrote:
19 Sep 2022
The OP mentions also wanting to "move some knobs inside the devices," but I think that could really complicate things in terms of editing if allowed to vary between presets.
I was thinking the Combinator file (.cmb) would be a base state, and then patches (say .c2p) would store any differences from the main combinator base state, but I think it's a fair point that just storing the panel state would be a lot simpler. They'd have to compare *everything* inside otherwise, or keep track of anything changed constantly

If we treat the combinator as a device, then I agree that not being able to mess with the internal wirings for a preset is expected anyway.

• Information