Old Reason 3.0 boxed-Refills (Registration and use)

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2022

I'm pretty sure EU law means it's not legal for companies to prevent license transfers.

If it ever went to the courts, they'd probably lose their case for REs being purely leased items - it's just that no individual user is going to spend whatever it costs to take them to court on that.

Trying to defend Refills as non-transferable (but permanently leased) products would be a billion times more difficult.

But they'll never be brought to court on this (unless it was with a huge institution, but a huge institution wouldn't be interested in transferring REs).

Cal

28 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
28 Aug 2022
Just buy it. You’ll maybe never be on Top of the Pops and RS won’t notice. It’s a great refill.
If you’re really worried about Abbey Road or Propellerheads taking you to court for your number one hit single then disguise the sounds behind some reverb or something.
Recently the stars have been aligning for me. I found an old producer who gives me 1st pick of beats and have access to a $200k studio(I have the keys).

So let's say maybe not a #1 hit but what if the song generates $2,000. I would hate to have to hand it over to Reason over a Refill they no longer offer for sale.

I am not into covering up good sounds I paid for with reverb unless intentional.

Cal

28 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
28 Aug 2022
I'm pretty sure EU law means it's not legal for companies to prevent license transfers.

If it ever went to the courts, they'd probably lose their case for REs being purely leased items - it's just that no individual user is going to spend whatever it costs to take them to court on that.

Trying to defend Refills as non-transferable (but permanently leased) products would be a billion times more difficult.

But they'll never be brought to court on this (unless it was with a huge institution, but a huge institution wouldn't be interested in transferring REs).
I'm not thinking that far ahead.

I have OCD so I want to own everything legally and be proud of my library of sounds I've collected. I'm not worried about being sued in court as much as I want to be the rightful owner and not some scumbag thief.

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2022

Cal wrote:
28 Aug 2022

I have OCD so I want to own everything legally and be proud of my library of sounds I've collected. I'm not worried about being sued in court as much as I want to be the rightful owner and not some scumbag thief.
Sure, and this entire discussion centres around whether the license can be legally transferred from one user to the next.

What I meant regarding the courts is just that AFAIK under current EU law, RS should not be able to prevent you purchasing the license and being the rightful owner. I wasn't suggesting anyone take them to court, just that the reason it's probably not been challenged is just that it's just not worth it.

I'm sure RS know this ;)

Cal

28 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
28 Aug 2022
Cal wrote:
28 Aug 2022

Sure, and this entire discussion centres around whether the license can be legally transferred from one user to the next.

What I meant regarding the courts is just that AFAIK under current EU law, RS should not be able to prevent you purchasing the license and being the rightful owner. I wasn't suggesting anyone take them to court, just that the reason it's probably not been challenged is just that it's just not worth it.

I'm sure RS know this ;)
I'm sure you're right but my OCD works like this:

A) You own this.
B) You don't own this.

The rep who worked on this Refill did say users can transfer licenses but that's an account situation not a hard copy situation. In my case I will be acquiring the DISCS and license CARDS. If they have not been registered is another thing.

But hey!! Now that I think about it, people hated registering things back then and would usually skip that step since it didn't stop you from using the software. Remember when you could register DVDs and stuff(but most people didn't)? I have more hope now!

Cal

29 Aug 2022

Update from Reason rep:

"The licence number and registration code are printed on a card included with the DVD in the box when it was originally purchased. If the licence has not yet been registered, then you'll be able to register it to your account when you receive the card.

If the licence has already been registered, then if you send me a scan or a photograph of the card, then I can track down the licence and transfer the registration of the licence to your account for you."

I am excited!! What a journey!

EnochLight

29 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
28 Aug 2022
Just buy it. You’ll maybe never be on Top of the Pops and RS won’t notice. It’s a great refill.
If you’re really worried about Abbey Road or Propellerheads taking you to court for your number one hit single then disguise the sounds behind some reverb or something.
I mean, at the end of the day - this is the best advice right here IMHO. People have been sampling records for decades without clearing samples just by hiding the original samples through layers of effects and processing. If anyone thinks anyone can pick out the Rhodes from the Abbey Road refill from the Rhodes in my MPC in a proper mix, they're delusional. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Cal

17 Sep 2022

Great news! The seller sent the original license/registration cards and they worked!

I was worried Abbey Road Keyboards would be registered to someone else.

Now to buy an external CD-ROM drive since Apple removed the drive from devices years ago.

jam-s

18 Sep 2022

Cal wrote:
17 Sep 2022
Now to buy an external CD-ROM drive since Apple removed the drive from devices years ago.
Before buying an external CD/DVD-drive just for this, I'd check if there is a download option at RS' site now that you've registered it.

Termigator

04 Oct 2022

Cal wrote:
17 Sep 2022
Great news! The seller sent the original license/registration cards and they worked!

I was worried Abbey Road Keyboards would be registered to someone else.

what seller where

Termigator

04 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
18 Sep 2022
Cal wrote:
17 Sep 2022
Before buying an external CD/DVD-drive just for this, I'd check if there is a download option at RS' site now that you've registered it.
or if you have paid for it im
pretty sure u can find a torrent which will be legal to download now you own it

Termigator

04 Oct 2022

i paid £9.99 for this a couple of years ago and sold it for £30 wish i’d kept it but seriously who would pay this ? ??https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275481792554 ... R6q_48T0YA

moneykube

04 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
04 Oct 2022
i paid £9.99 for this a couple of years ago and sold it for £30 wish i’d kept it but seriously who would pay this ? ??https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275481792554 ... R6q_48T0YA
:o :shock: :? not eye said the blind man
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Cal

04 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
04 Oct 2022
That one has the box which is valuable. What did yours have?

Termigator

04 Oct 2022

Cal wrote:
04 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
04 Oct 2022
yeah it had all that bought it from guitar guitar retail 9.99

few years back

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/

Termigator

04 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
04 Oct 2022
Cal wrote:
04 Oct 2022

few years back

i registered it and everrytng and sold it what a douche

Termigator

04 Oct 2022

it was brand new in the wrapping

Cal

05 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
04 Oct 2022
Cal wrote:
04 Oct 2022

few years back

When you say a few years back you mean like 3? Because thats insane. I know it was going for $10 like in 2009.

• Information